Only played it at a mate's place
11%

Total votes: 9

James H
Techno Teaboy

Who liked Tau Ceti?

Post by James H »

Who on here liked this game?

At the time of its release I thought this was fanny-tastic (even if the graphics were a bit blocky & linear).

Oh the frustration it was capable of causing.. you were loaded up with completed rods, hadn't saved the game recently, when you touched down in a heavily defended city and you were suddenly fighting several of those flying saucer fighters and then boom, you were dead.

Or occasionally you'd stumble across a military supply depot when you were in the middle of copping a hiding and trying to conserve all important missiles. Then you got an evil grin, fired off all your missiles, overheated your laser and hopped into the building quickly for a total restock & repair, then back out to kick whatever arse remained to be kicked.

I completed the game a couple of times, however that represented almost a total weekend of serious gaming - being occasionally dragged outside by my parents to go play basketball or soccer for my team.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Closest I got to completing it was a dozen rods on one occasion.

So many nice touches. The shadows moving as the sun set. The zooming map display. Telling the computer to F*** OFF (save your game first!)
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Preferred it on the speccy as it was faster and smoother, still whatever platform it was on it was fantasitic, very nearly finished it once but had 2 rods missing arggg! :)
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I'm sorry, I didn't get it because I didn't have a manual.*
Since then, never played it.
Isn't it a space trading thing like PSI5 Trading company?

*the absolute downside of hacked games, grr.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Loved Tau Ceti a great deal, though I never completed it. My friend, an Amstrad owner, and I often debated over which version was better.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't get it because I didn't have a manual.*
Since then, never played it.
Isn't it a space trading thing like PSI5 Trading company?

*the absolute downside of hacked games, grr.
Nope, all the action takes place on a single planet, and you move between cities in your Galcorp Skimmer. In each city are a series of buildings and many, many enemy droids out to get you. Your task is to find the nuclear rods to disable the main reactor in Centralis, the capital city.
James H
Techno Teaboy

Post by James H »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:So many nice touches. The shadows moving as the sun set. The zooming map display. Telling the computer to F*** OFF (save your game first!)
Funnily enough even as a 10 year old I managed to give the computer a "bit of a serve" once (was about to fly into a hangar and refuel when I conked out). Somehow the f word was involved.. you get the picture..

The computer gave me a 'Just because I'm a machine does not mean you can insult me' talk. Then it was time to reload the game!
Palmer Eldritch
Techno Teaboy

Post by Palmer Eldritch »

Love it. A classic and one of the better Spectrum to C64 conversions around.