Edge (10 years) issue 128

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Edge (10 years) issue 128

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Some nice articles in issue 128, I have to say. (for a change!)

Gordon, it's a shame they messed up your URL !

Btw, the only c64 game mentioned in the 10xtopten's (top 100) is Boulderdash II! :shock:
What about Head Over Heels & Wizball, hm?

I'm really sick and tired of that 'oh boy are we retro-minded' blow up those 8 & 16 bit screenshots to a4 /a3 format formula. What do guys think about that?
Games TM started this? Now Edge has followed. (Thank goodness I got hold of the 'out run' cover :wink: )

What about this one: they released issue 128 with 10 different covers, and you can buy them all in a special binder for a mere 40 quid! :?
Hellooo! Pass me the bucket please, who do they think they are? (aaargh!)

Anyway, it also contains a lookback on issue 1 with lots of attention to 'our' Steve Jarrat.

What's your opinion about Edge?
Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I always think its a rip-off when magazines produce different covers to get readers to buy them. In the UK, music mags like Mojo tend to do this by producing ones with a Beatle on each (Needless to say, Ringo is often the one left in the Back Issues ad!!).

I think Future should have started producing a regular (monthly/bi-monthly) retro magazine, as they sold out of the RETRO specials straight away. Obviously getting advertising would have been a bit of a problem, but even if they sold it at £5, it would have worked...

I do quite like the 'blown-up' two page images, though it works better on certain games and less so on others.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Edge (10 years) issue 128

Post by CraigGrannell »

biggestjim wrote:Btw, the only c64 game mentioned in the 10xtopten's (top 100) is Boulderdash II
For which they put the wrong screen grab and name. Some of those top ten choices were really odd.
What's your opinion about Edge?
Mostly a good and readable mag.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

I'm an EDGE subscriber, it's a love hate relationship! They're OK with 16 Bit onwards but you get the feeling that anything earlier they just lift on the internet and don't really have a true feel for the times like we do.

I actually do like big pixel prints, but I simply can't understand anyone buying the same magazines with different covers - spend that money on a proper book or the games themselves!!
gordon
Director

Re: Edge (10 years) issue 128

Post by gordon »

biggestjim wrote:Gordon, it's a shame they messed up your URL !
:shock:

Didn't even know it was in there. But, since it is, and they messed it up:

Lazy fuckers. ;)

g.