Commodore Horizons C16/Plus4 Special

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Commodore Horizons C16/Plus4 Special

Post by Sixteen Plus »

I know the 264 series was barely covered in Zzap64, but I'd like to share a link with you anyway, but more for another reason which I'll come to. I remember asking Mort before if it was OK to use the scans in this manner when I created my last special PDF (which I plan on updating), and he said it was fine. good for the scene and all that.

http://www.commodore16.com/index.php/co ... ecial.html

As the C16 never had it's own proper commercial monthly magazine in the stores and when I found that C=Horizons covered just enough for 1 issue, I figured it was high time the 264 series had it's own retrospective issue.

I used the excellent free paint.net software to clean up all the yellowed scans, added a few new game review screenshots as the original b/w ones were shot in so poor quality you could barely see them. I completely redesigned the pages to make everything fit together, kind of like fitting together a jigsaw puzzle. New cover artwork and index page with a short editorial by myself. So far it's proving to be a success. I've had plus4world contact me if they could upload it to their site which is fine by me, although I just got to quickly iron out the creases first.

The main thing I wanted to say though, that because Mort put so much time, effort and money collecting the magazines and scanning them for us, it's only right to place an advert for the zzap zzuperstore. You will see it just after the game reviews.

I wanted to make it a little snazzy, and I will probably add to the advert soon as there are a few bits in the magazine I'd like to iron out anyway. I decided it needed a proper logo, so I browsed through my Zzap scans and as I thought, found what I was looking for in a later issue.

http://i33.tinypic.com/20gjrtj.jpg

It was originally spread over 2 pages, so I had to join them together and remove the page creases (between the U and the P) which took some work, and touch it up here and there. It doesn't look bad, and I thought you may like to use it for your zzuperstore page. The letter P may need a little more ironing out though :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Brilliant work Chris, it looks fantastic!
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Thank you, but my name is Baz, I just work on Chris's site. Unless you want to call me Chris. I don't mind ;) :D
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Apologies, saw the username and assumed it was Chris himself... still, top work!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Looks pretty and a proper logo for the Zzuperstore page would indeed be very nice.

Just one niggle though. The Zzap part of the logo looks a little jagged, would you be able to copy Rob's Zzap64 logo over it instead?

Maybe Rob could jump in here with a link to the logo without the Def Guide bit? Since if I had it, I would probably have lost it on the HD crash a couple of years ago. :(
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

I shall do that. I will have a look for it myself if Rob doesn't come up with anything :)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I have a CD or two containing the bits from issue 107, so a Zzap!64 logo might be on that.. I can try looking for that if Rob (or Craig) doesn't come to the rescue! :)
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Thanks, appreciated. I would look myself but I think I've dried my eyeballs out with the 1000's of pages I've flicked through already this last month, so just taking a break from looking (or maybe I'm just lazy). I have enough material to keep me busy for now with the next magazine project anyhow but will fix the logo asap in the meanwhile :D
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Just read your compilation magazine. An interesting read. I've always liked the physical look of the +4.

Ta for the Zzuperstore ad by the way. Has Mort added your magazine to the Commodore Horizons DVD do you know?
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Thanks for the compliment. I thought it right and civil to include an ad. After all Mort had spent a great deal of time and money on the magazine scans. But I've no idea if he has or not included it on the DVD, I reckon it would be a nice bonus if he did. I never thought about it :)

Personally I prefer the C16 keyboard, very much easier to use just like the C64's. The Plus/4 keyboard is too fiddly for me, especially the cursors.

How far has Mort got with the CCI magazines btw? I have found 2 copies with quite a few C16 reviews all in all online already. Love to get my hands on the lot one day.
dv8
Techno Teaboy

Post by dv8 »

I had a read of this mag over the weekend along with your other compilations of CU reviews.

As a big fan of the 264 machines it's great to see all this material collected together. Looking forward to seeing your next project :)

Cheers,
Paul.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

The CU reviews was hastily put together a while back without any clean-ups or anything, so I will get around to doing that again after this next project as I also missed out some reviews. Plus I might throw in any other articles too and split them into their own seperate issues. I'll have plenty of time to think about how I'll do it as the current project will take a while :)
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi, Sixteenplus,
Wow good c16 mag and glad you found use of the c16 scanned material from various mags, currently I am 70 issue in on the cci`s so about another 20 to go now (if I can find them all).If you would like a dvd of whats done so far drop me a line.

Thanks for the zzuperstore link and making such a good job of the c16 coverage.

Stephen aka Mort :D
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Thank you. Seems you're doing very well with CCI so far. Hope you get them all. PM sent :)