Last ever issue of Commodore Format

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
debit

Last ever issue of Commodore Format

Post by debit »

The last few issues are very hard to track down and I bet quite a few people never saw the final issue even at the time. Only 5,000 were printed.

http://gameplayerspecial.wordpress.com/ ... e-61-1995/

For the reasons we've discussed on these forums before, it's a dog of an issue (look at the raggy "Power Pack" logo on page 3, for example) but one of interest.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Last ever issue of Commodore Format

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

The main problem was that Future stopped offering "sale or return" to newsagents. That meant they ordered less and Future printed less.

Wasn't happy to see it end, because I was writing for it...
debit

Re: Last ever issue of Commodore Format

Post by debit »

You can see more of the last few issues of Commodore Format over at this lovely little webpage. Some real TLC gone into this. Some guy in Denmark I believe.

http://issuu.com/zaxth/docs

I'm pointing it out as I've read time and again here and on other forums that many people couldn't get hold of later CFs and perhaps haven't seen some of them!

I loved this magazine but I hate how it died such a lingering death - fewer pages, staff with no detailed knowledge of the '64, etc. Issue 51 - an "inbetween editors" issue - was the point I gave up on the magazine (and C64) altogether. Just a horrible botch job.

The latter CFs had some great moments (I loved Andy Hutchinson's sense of humour, and some of the little bits of character he brought to his time on the mag - clearly inspired by his time on Your Sinclair!) but generally it got poorer and poorer after the redesign at issue 33 and the departure of Trenton Webb, I think. From 33 onwards the design was a bit childish for me (I guess with the readership getting younger as users upgraded and passed on the machines to siblings etc) and then got all technical around the issue 50s. As Merman has pointed out, there was also some extremely poor work from certain people and some horrible factual (and general) errors.

Worth skipping through a few pages of that webpage to look at early issues whilst you're there - some great writing and nice features. Plus - classic Roger Frames. Brilliant! :D