C&VG Closing

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Iain
Admin

C&VG Closing

Post by Iain »

It's "only" been a website for many years but even that is going now and the brand isn't being sold on to anybody...

Messages from the Editors of C&VG

There is a piece from Mr. Rignall in there as well.

and to see what it was like back in the day: https://archive.org/details/cvg-magazine-001

This Internet thing has been and is a rather disruptive technology! Few want to pay for content, I wonder where it'll end up... hopefully not at the bottom. i.e. an even a higher percentage of content being near brain dead waffle and click bait... :(
Iain
Admin

Re: C&VG Closing

Post by Iain »

For a bit of contrast, I'll risk posting the very first editorial here as well: (had to do quite a bit of cleaning up from the OCR mess of it on archive.org - edit - actually I decided just to type in the thing from scratch! - kinda apt when it's an old issue of C&VG anyway ;-) )
No 1 November 1981

Try to think of something more exciting than a computer. What did you come up with: A trip up the Amazon, scoring a goal for England, landing on Mars or, maybe beating the bank at Monte Carlo?

A computer will give you the chance to do any of these in your own living room.

And if you came up with some more illicit excitement, then perhaps you should be put in touch with a businessman I met who sends his programs out in plain brown wrappers!

Surprised? Then COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES is the magazine to tell you just what you're missing out on. If you have already discovered computers you will know that their only limitation is the programmer's imagination - COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES is out to push your imagination to its limits.

This magazine is putting the accent firmly on the "games" side. We are not commenting on computers as hardware, but as a means to an end - and that end if entertainment.

This is the age of the microchip and if you are not making the most of it. COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES aims to show you how.

Whether you use chips in pub and arcade video games, but them in toys, or have them hidden away inside your computer, we will help you to make more of them.

In return we will be looking for some help from you in supplying views, ideas and - most importantly - games listings for us to print. Page 65 has more details on how to send in copy and the rewards we are offering.

We want you to get the most out of these listings that you possibly can. So don't just turn over the pages which aren't featuring your particular machine's Basic. Instead, look to see how other people have got around problems which may have baffled you and if a game interests you then try to convert it to your machine.

Our Down to Basic page won't only teach beginners how to use this language but compare each machine's Basic functions and show which does each job on each machine.

If there are any terms you don't understand turn to our software glossary (pages 97 and 98) and you should find an explanation there.

Dotted around the magazine are the Bugs - you'll meet them officially on page 68. We've already fallen in love with those creations from the pen of Elphin Lloyd-Jones and we hope you will too. I'm sure they would like to join me now in offering you a big welcome to COMPUTER & VIDEO GAMES.
Heady times hey? :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

See, I think people will still pay for quality content. The conundrum print magazines have to resolve is the balance between paper and digital subscriptions.

Only ever bought a few issues of C&VG, in later years it was a badly-designed mess.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I thought tablets might be the savour of magazines, since people might pay for a download of a complete magazine to read on their tablet, whereas they probably wouldn't pay to just access it on a website but have digital subscriptions taken off much?

I would imagine the massive price increases in postage probably haven't helped subscriptions of physical mags over the past few years either...