non-eBay magazine haul

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
gizmomelb
Ken's Fishy Friend

non-eBay magazine haul

Post by gizmomelb »

Hi all,

On a whim I stopped at a garage sale today (very unusual for me, haven't done 'the hunt' for at least a couple of years previously) and got chatting with the owner at the sale who had a few C64 boxed games in good condition in amongst the usual lot of 'junk'. I asked him if he had any old C64 magazines at all and he said he thought he had a few out in his workshop, so he leaves his wife running the sale and invites me down to have a quick look as he's also got more C64 games which might interest me.

Well, it turns out this guy was the owner of one of the major Commodore repair centres in the state and has a workshop full of C64 gear. He showed me three sets of chests of drawers, where in each drawer he said there were around a thousand 5.25" floppies (all originals, I saw them!) and he had boxes piled on top of each other, full of flattened original boxes and manuals. There was a living room sized area full of broken and repaired C64's, disk drives, tape drives, printers etc.etc. absolute tonnes of stuff. He had a quick dig around for magazines and we ended up 'unearthing' and filling 7 large boxes (the size that is used to pack fruit and vegetables) full of 1980-1990 magazines in average to very good condition.

A quick summary of my 'find':

-2x Games Computing
-approx. 12x Commodore Computing Internationals
-approx. 24x Your Commodore
-4x Commodore User - including issues 1 and 2!
-approx. 12x ZERO
-approx. 36x Your Computer (Australian general computing magazine)
-approx. 12x Australian Personal Computer
-approx. 24x Australian Commodore and Amiga Review (all early issues)
-approx. 12x Commodore Format
-approx. 18x Commodore World
-approx. 36x The Transactor
-misc. AHOY!, RUN! and Commodore Disk User magazines
-plus also what he claimed was every issue of Compute's Gazette, which with the exception of Volume 2, would appear to be pretty damn accurate (about 12-14 years worth of magazines).

Most of the mags are in quite good condition, but some of them are a little worn from being out in boxes, in a essentially a large shed for many, many years. After going through all of them my hands were very dirty and needed a good wash.

I was quite surprised at all of this and when we started talking price he starts off with "well I know what these are worth to the collector" (uh oh), "so how about $150 for the lot?" (about 60 GBP). So I agreed, and we loaded up the car.

When I got home I got in trouble for spending over my 'allowance' by my wife, but there's a heap of magazines (mainly the Gazettes and other USA magazines) which I don't collect, so they'll be going up on eBay to cover my going over budget this month (we're saving to move house).

Quite a nice haul by my accounts! Anyone else ever stumbled across a treasure trove like this? (there's an auction on ebay at the moment, a heap of old C64, Spectrum, Amiga etc. software from a computer store..)
How's about your finds and stories?

Cheers,
Gizmomelb
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I have done a lot of zero`s which have been on the back burner, which issues have you there Giz?

Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
gizmomelb
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by gizmomelb »

Hi Mort,

I've got ZERO issues 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26 and 27.

Also I'm off this week on holidays, so I'll finally have the time to do the July 89 issue of Your Commodore for you as well.

Regards,
Gizmomelb
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi Giz,
Got all those, these are the remaining needing to be done zero`s.
Zero 2 p23,24,41,42
Zero 17 p97,98
Zero 29
Zero 31
Zero 33 and anthing later than that

The Yc will be much appreciated :-)
gizmomelb
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by gizmomelb »

Hi Mort,

were you still after ZERO 29 and 31? Any other mags you're after?
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi Giz,
Yep still after the same mags as above,also trying to source sega master force and the final issue of Raze still. So any help would be appreciated. Give me a shout on postage costs and I`ll sort something out with you.

Cheers again

:D
knight_beat
Techno Teaboy

Sega Master Force

Post by knight_beat »

Good evening Mr. Mort

I believe these are the issues you are looking for </jedi mind trick>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEGA-MASTER-FORCE ... otohosting

(No, it isn't my auction).
knight_beat
Techno Teaboy

Sega Master Force

Post by knight_beat »

Hmmm... Never mind. It has been removed.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

No worries, All may be well after all Mr Bond :wink:
Iain
Admin

Re: Sega Master Force

Post by Iain »

knight_beat wrote:Hmmm... Never mind. It has been removed.
Prob Mort offering him lorry load of cash, or more likely, asking him for a loan before selling them and paying him for the hassle.

I can hear the scanner warming up again... :
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Well A fair price was offered ( works out about £1 a page for whats needed!) as I had a few bits missing from the set I bought for a lorry load last year (had a lot of missing pages/pamphlets missing grr), when the sets done it will be done as complete as possible as per usual, leaving only issue 13 of Raze needed for all the main Newsfield/Impact mags to be finished :D

Anyhow must get on with some more work in progress on another mag before retiring to bed :D