Retro Gamer 19 now out :-)

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

Loved the mag! Guess absence makes the heart grow fonder, but definitely for me has the edge over the old RG at the moment.

Like the way they've kept Back to the Eighties, I liked that feature of old RG, I always viewed it a bit like a "Zzap!back" article.

Like the Retrorevival introspectives, they are nicely sprinkled through the mag.

Liked Martyn's bit on the Rubber-keyed monster, well written as usual like the "Perfect 10" section.

Probably my fave genre of all time would be the point and click adventure so lovely to see feature on Simon the Sorcerer, I had this on my Amiga back in the day and it was a great game. Played STS II on the PC and I enjoyed this just as much.

Andrew love the Magnetic Fields/Shaun Southern feature, I had my 64 back in 1983 and some of the first games I played were Vegas Jackpot , Duck Shoot and Olympic Skier so I have an affection for Mr Chip & Shaun SOuthern - Kik Start (I & II) is/are great games.

Liked the Retro-rated section, guess this section will thin out next month but no matter nice to have this guide.

All in all an improvement I think and I look forward to Jan 5th 2006!
gizmomelb
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by gizmomelb »

hi all,

has anyone in Australia seen RETRO GAMER issue #19 anywhere as yet?

Thanks!
Gizmomelb
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

There are some Aussie readers on the RG forum, and whilst they have found the magazine, it's been very hard to track it down for them.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Yeah I picked up a copy in my local newsagent (I'm in Brisbane). I know Ant got a copy too. What an absolutely fantastic read! They've made RG better than ever - as good as the old RG was, it was cloaked in a weird dual layer of informality on the art / design side and over formality on the writing side. This fixes both issues with lots of life.

Great Magnetic Fields article! The whole mag feels meatier. And there was an article about retro gaming in Australia! Nice!

I haven't seen as many copies as I usually do, sadly. Good luck finding it in Melbourne.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Gazunta wrote:Yeah I picked up a copy in my local newsagent (I'm in Brisbane). I know Ant got a copy too. What an absolutely fantastic read! They've made RG better than ever - as good as the old RG was, it was cloaked in a weird dual layer of informality on the art / design side and over formality on the writing side. This fixes both issues with lots of life.

Great Magnetic Fields article! The whole mag feels meatier. And there was an article about retro gaming in Australia! Nice!

I haven't seen as many copies as I usually do, sadly. Good luck finding it in Melbourne.
Glad you liked my Mag Fields article, and glad you like the new look mag as well.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I can't believe that some people (on other forums) say that they preferred the design of the Live era RG to the new one. :?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

LeeT wrote:I can't believe that some people (on other forums) say that they preferred the design of the Live era RG to the new one. :?
I don't get it either. The new design is professional and interesting, and it can sit on the shelf in WH Smiths thinking it's a good looking mag, ready to attract the casual passer-by...

whereas the old design was (quite frankly, IMO) tosh of the highest order. So many things wrong with it.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I think it's the fact that the old RG actually had its own "identity" as a result of its design. With the switch to Imagine and a new design, it now looks like every other mag on the shelves (pristine, clinical, masses of white) and hence doesn't stand out any more and has lost some of its "character".

I don't think its about about the quality of the new design (which is undeniably good), just the actual design itself.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Ultimately, I think a certain portion of the audience somehow equated the old RG's fanzine-like design to being something that was "theirs". However, I thought the design was atrocious and, more importantly, less usable than Markie's efforts for the reborn magazine.

I also question whether the magazine has lost its character—I'd argue that it's just got a new one. Sure, there's plenty of flat colour and white space, but those are design decisions, rather than an attempt to be glossy. There are still plenty of retro elements within (such as the background images for the classic games/making of pages, the b/w heads, and so on.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Gazunta wrote:I know Ant got a copy too.
Yes, I did and it's bloody amazing!

Very nice work, chaps.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Roger Frames
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Roger Frames »

As a dtp'er myself, I have to say that the new design is much better, even if a bit generic. That said, I wouldn't say the old one was atrocious. I've seen far far worse. In Greece anyway. :roll: