Edge File, or why Future should give a job to Mort...

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Edge File, or why Future should give a job to Mort...

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

This is Edge File, 260 pages of material from their first 12 issues (1993/1994). Future's selling this for 8 quid. Which is fair enough (I guess, these days....), looking at the amount of pages on offer.

But....Future couldn't handle their original Quark files and decided to scan the first 12 issues of their own magazine to be able to publish it (again). SO you're paying 8 quid for a scanned in magazine! (and it shows btw)
This is really eh...raising my eyebrows, or something. :?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Re: Edge File, or why Future should give a job to Mort...

Post by gordon »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Future couldn't handle their original Quark files and decided to scan the first 12 issues of their own magazine to be able to publish it (again).
For some reason that strikes me as really, really funny on quite a few levels.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Homer Simpson wrote:You just lost yourself a customer
As I'm not a regular Edge reader, I'd thought about buying this. But SCANS? That's almost as daft as Taito losing the source code to Bubble Bobble! :shock:
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I can see them losing a fair amount of clarity if they try to reprint them ,hope they scanned at 600dpi ;-)
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

:roll:

These big companies are useless. What next? The BBC losing old episodes of Doctor Who...?

:wink:
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Interesting comment about this from Rod_S over at YakYak, for anyone who hasn't seen it:
I bought the mag today, and yes, the repro quality is fucking shameful considering Edge's usually high production values. It looks like something you've scanned on your own brand £40 Aldi all in one printer/scanner, and printed on cheap paper stock when your ink's running low. Most of the screengrabs are illegible, very grainy and seemingly low-res. There's no excuse for this, if the original artwork was unavailable they should've got a work experience monkey to take new grabs.
Don't waste your money on this lazy cash-in unless you're desperate to read the articles.
:?
Wil
Techno Teaboy

Post by Wil »

Just saw the next issue of this and yes, it's still scanned pages. I imagine though that this was the only way they could do it. For a start, Future are on InDesign now rather than Quark and the whole internal repro system is far different from those days. I don't even think that the issue files (page layouts and graphics) were being archived off at that time. It was only a little later that CDs were burned after each issue and there's no way the page film or plates still exist.

Short of laying the whole issues out again and resourcing the pics (how much per issue would that cost!?), scanning was the only way they could do it.

Agreed though, some of it does look a little ropey. I wonder if they had some sort of automated scanning thing going on or if each page was done by hand, separately.