Arcade Magazine

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Arcade Magazine

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi fellow Zzaperoni's,
I just got two Arcade Magazines through the mail, I've got them from eBay UK. (difficult to track down!)
They are issues 2 & 5.
I used to flick through the mag, because it seemed to have some rather interesting content. Lots of things from Games TM seems to be inspired by Arcade. Only arcade's retro section was only two pages. :cry:
Does anybody know how long it existed? (how many issues?)
I know that sales were not that good and it was discontinued fairly rapid.
Any news or facts about Arcade magazine are welcome. (links?)
Btw, I came across a column from Julian Rignall in issue 2.
Oh yeah, and the first Ed was one of the founders of Superplay. (my 2nd favourite computermag after Zzap)
Thanx for your help (in advance)
Rob
ps: anyone selling Arcade issue 1? or Superplay issue 47? :roll:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi Jim.
I think it ran for around 24 issues, I have all of them apart from 1 at home. I though it was an excellent mag, and a good replacement for zzap at the time. I might scan in some of the covers at a later date if anybody is interested :wink:

Ps cu at the show Saturday, I wil be with Iain and Darren :) that goes for anybody else going also.
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi Mort, thanks for the info on Arcade,
unfortunately I won't be there saturday in Brighton.

See also here:
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44

Thanx for the offer of staying at your place (it almost made me book anyway) but we throw a party over here for a very close friend who's emigrating to the US of A. It's a shame really, since I would have loved to hang around with you guys, and sip on my lemonade together with Iain, oh yeah: and missing the "Rob Hubbard goes unplugged" thing.
Have a great time back in time,
cheers and all that,
Rob

ps: Mayhem, you as the magazine collector, do you know more about 'Arcade'?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Sorry to hear it Jim, but I should get round to scanning those arcades one day :D

Ps I`ll send on a copy of the gamebase stuff if any of us get hold of a copy on Saturday :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

...but I should get round to scanning those arcades one day
Would be cool, Mort. But don't forget that it has this horrible 'bigger than a4 format', like Edge & Superplay. That means two scans per page!
Luckily Games TM is in the standard format. (I'm busy scanning all the retrosections at the moment.)
Ta!
ROb

ps: In the near future I'll order your crash-cd's. Right now, I'm busy getting my hands on a complete set of Commodore User's (well at least 1986-1990). I'm only going to scan in certain sections, maybe one day I can bring the whole bunch to your place, so you could do the 'job'. (I know, I'm too generous. :D
But I understand, since you're engaged, that the scanning is on the second plan now. (At least I hope so...for her! wink:)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Not much Jim, Mort said as much as I know... I used to have a couple of issues about a while back.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

ARCADE also had a 'sequel' - 'Video Gamer' which IIRC was weekly and some of the same staff from ARCADE worked on it. However it only lasted a few issues, as Future Publishing nearly went bankrupt at the time, so they had to close quite a few titles.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com