The best C64 emulator?

Chat about emulation and retro in general
gordon
Director

The best C64 emulator?

Post by gordon »

I might as well put this here before someone else does, mainly for anyone stumbling onto this site looking for an answer.

If you want to say *why* you prefer one emulator over another, or hate one more than all the rest, feel free to add your comments here, too.

g.

(btw, my answer is CCS64, because it feels closest to a real C64.)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeap, CCS is mine too, I've always been happy with how many raster tricks etc. its implemented and the excellent menu/config options, especially since you can even have an Action Replay cartridge going, like on a real C64.

Vice seems to get a lot of attention these days though.

What I really want is a fully working C64 emulator for the Dreamcast though!!
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I'll join the CCS64 bandwagon as well mainly for the fact that it seems to have the highest compatability rate with the gajillions of images out there.

VICE is a very close second though, especially since the latest release.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
MaffRignall
Techno Teaboy

Post by MaffRignall »

CCS64, mainly for the extra speedy keyboard control in the menus. All the others have mouse driven GUIs except for DOS VICE, whose menus aren't as nice as CCS64's.

Although I should point out that these days I'm using VICE, because I'm mainly a Linux user these days, and there's no Linux version of CCS64 :cry: .

In terms of actual emulation, I don't think I can tell any of them apart these days. Which is a good thing.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Power64 because it's the equal of any Windows-based C64 emulator that I've so far tried, but it also has the best UI of any C64 emulator. Dragging and dropping files between virtual disks is as easy as using the Finder/Desktop, and it's extremely lovely, like a puppy with big, brown eyes.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

CCS 64 for me too! I would say that's probably only because it was the first one I used, but I just can't get "into" the other ones as easily.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I am a fairly recent convert to CCS64, as I used to use WIN64, primarily as it would let you access the .zip files straight away - Sadly the compatibility rate isnt too good, so I downloaded the latest version of CCS64 and am now enjoying using it - Along with playing games with the joystick too!
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

creamcast 64

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

What I really want is a fully working C64 emulator for the Dreamcast though!!
Yes indeed, is anybody working on that?
Would be extremely cool!

(a little off topic though:) The Dreamcast is so cheap around here, you can get your hands on it for 50 bps, and a racing wheel +pedals+vibrationpack for 2 bps!!! Games all over the place for a fiver.
Why get yourself an Xbox or ps2 if you can get yourself a dreamcast.
It's my fave machine after the c64 & snes, still playing MSR & virtua tennis.

Btw, although I have everything I need to burn a cd with dreamsnes & roms, I just can't get it running. Does anybody know a simple way to create such a rom, or explain it the way that even I (a not so technical teaboy as I am) can understand it?

Thank you lot,

ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The only emulator I've seen for the Dreamcast is DC64 http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-dc64.htm

It appears ypou can't load anything on it, just the game that is running on it, an Andrew Braybrook one. I don't think it's been developed anymore either :(

It would be so nice to be able to play all C64 games on the Dreamcast on a TV!

The DC is fast enough, it's just a matter of somebody completing the thing!
Antiriad Nonsense
Techno Teaboy

Post by Antiriad Nonsense »

Hello. I now am playing C64 games in C64s version 2.0. It´s an MS-DOS emulator, what appears the graphics very ugly and has some problems. But I think that the games work better than in CCS64 when them work. I am a bit indignated or enough with the CCS64´s beta version 2.0 of windows. I am trying. There are games that works fatal in CCS, as Tapper, that when the drunkens grab you you pass of phase!!!! I am looking emulators.
The C64 version that I have is the fully registered.
Bye.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Try the cartridge dump version of Tapper with the emulator...

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/tapper.zip
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Antiriad Nonsense
Techno Teaboy

Post by Antiriad Nonsense »

Ok, I will try that version. :) The only thing good of CCS64 is the tape emulation and the cartridges. I think now so. Sorry if I am offending.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

No problem.. I've found Vice has a few problems with some carts in its latest version for whatever reason...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

PaulEMoz wrote:CCS 64 for me too! I would say that's probably only because it was the first one I used, but I just can't get "into" the other ones as easily.
Pretty much my experience too. I still use version 1.09 a lot too as I can't figure out how, or even if you can get 2.00 running in a window for screengrabs.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Funny, btw, that CCS64's got 64% of the votes now! (stop voting! :D )
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.