The best C64 emulator?

Chat about emulation and retro in general
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Regarding T2, the version I have runs fine on my emulator. Try downloading a different version.
the other day i was in the library checking out issue 108.
Maybe the librarian was just surprised at seeing 108, as we've not yet created it! ;)
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

i was waiting for that

ok >>>>> issue :oops: 107>>>Craig, i thought it would be you who would pounce ( like a hungry panther ) on me for that one

checking out 107? :arrow: tryed to do the same here at home but instead i got a asked if i wanted to download instead>>> 4 hours of download as apposed to quikley veiwing two pages at a time>>>theyf__kyyouatthedrivethrough...
same place >>diffarant product? :?

OH and by the way, the guy who installed my pc came round today and dropped of the new monitor.. noticed the emulator programme sitting in my recieved files directory and promptly told me that if i got cought using any type of emulator, the warranty would be VOID>>what do you think of that?

I have a rather large Pittbull but im still waiting for the slow techy to deliver the scanner :roll:
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Heh heh. Sorry for "pouncing"! :)

Re: 107, I guess you grabbed the PDF, rather than the JPEGs. The theyf??youatthedrivethrough thing is for the printed version.

As for the guy who said your warranty would be void if you used an emulator, he's either ignorant, or a wind-up merchant.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

my ol 'man calles him a "charleton"
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

seanbags wrote: promptly told me that if i got cought using any type of emulator, the warranty would be VOID>>what do you think of that?
I'd have told him "Sorry, you've mistaken me for someone with 'Thick F*ck#r' written on his head"

Did you solve the Joystick problem in the end?
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

yep got the joystick workin on a couple of games
im happy with this for the time being
looks like im going to have to download T2 and others from others sites for better copys.

what im finding the hardest now is getting past cirtain points in the loading process in some games>>example>> all these downloaded games have the hackers cheats which is nice if Im feeling lazy but they seem to be the biggest hurdle at the moment in actually getting into the game.

infy lives? n
infy health?n
blah blah? n
blah blah? n
blah blah? n
unlimited weapons? y
blah blah? n

(press space or fire) but then space or fire dosent work nor any other button...>>tis a bit of an anticlimax after the intro screens

I guess this problem is also a dodgy download thing.

In short, Emulators require ALOT of trial and error!

sean's handy hint for new emulator users :arrow: Expect the worst so the good things come as a surprise. Dont get your hopes up
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I know it might be a bit obvious but...
Sometimes you have to wait for a good bit after the hackers screen or press SPACE.
?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

key word>>>>>"sometimes" LeeT

also>using the 1541 at maximum speed is a real doozie>>>got payed today and decided not to spend my Doll money on cigaretts.. i think the speedy 1541 was a real deterant.

LeeT>> Do you think having this option turned on in whilst waiting after these dodgy hacker screens could help in the decision making process?

ive found so far that if it is turned on, you can tell soon enough if there is any progress happening
NOVALOAD
Techno Teaboy

Post by NOVALOAD »

CCS64 in my book is by far the best....BUT, Frodo on the GamePark GP32 wins hands down. http://www.gp32emu.com/

I never imagined that in the future I`d be sat on the toilet playing Hawkeye on a pocket C64! :P Wicked :P
Only down side is - Compatability with the various Rom formats out there. Tends to be a little picky. But then again, whos complaining? :)

Oh, theres also frodo for the Nokia 3650!
Photo here: http://images.geocomm.com/images/nokia/3650_10.jpg

Yep I realise this has got nothing to do with the current conversation, but I had to air my view. :wink:
Eeeee Heeee, Shamone Mofo !
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I am about to take delivery of a GP32, which will (hopefully) have a full range of emulators and games on the SMC - I agree that it will be great to play the games on a handheld, as opposed to sitting at either the PC or the C64!
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

mmm yes> i guess this is my ultimate c64 dream.

I see the gamboy advance sp in the shops and all the cool games but for the same reason as always, I think I would loose interest pretty fast. ( same as using an amiga 500 or console as apposed to c64 )

sitting on a bus journey and tapping away at Chips Challenge after updating a journal for instance.. I cant see myself getting board of this>>especially when there are so many games to play
NOVALOAD
Techno Teaboy

Post by NOVALOAD »

Get bored with it.....NEVER. I`ve had mine since its release. I take it everywhere, and its still just as fun as the first day I bought it.
If you`re gonna buy one, get the backlit version Its about £20 extra. 8)

Get One Here http://www.gbax.com/#gp32
Eeeee Heeee, Shamone Mofo !
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Getting bored of the GBA SP depends on the games you buy. IMO, there are several "classics", which are more than enough to waste a few hours of your time on regular occasions.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

I'm still waiting for that for that ignorant wind-up merchant to deliver my Scanner and my dog is getting restless because Im spending alot of time playing Turrican 2 with my new friend CCS64 version 2 .

Didn't bother casting my vote in the poll because I havn't tryed using any of the other emulators.

Still not having any luck with Creatures 2.. I make it to the final loading screen and its there that the game freezes..( love the soundtrack though )

BUDOKAN has heaps of REALLY annoying bleepy scratchy noises which makes it not worth the effort :x

Would be interesting to hear about some of the Emulator problems others may have had and what the remedy was.... :?:

For instance : I found that making sure that gameport 1 was turned off in the "input" menu whilst playing T2 solved all the control problems I was having ( still cant get the joystick working for that game though )
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

[quote="seanbags"

Would be interesting to hear about some of the Emulator problems others may have had and what the remedy was.... :?:

For instance : I found that making sure that gameport 1 was turned off in the "input" menu whilst playing T2 solved all the control problems I was having ( still cant get the joystick working for that game though )[/quote]

Again its a bit obvious, but have you tried changing over the joystick ports during play (IIRC its something like ALT & J)?