GameHeadz - Video / Computer Game History Documentary

Chat about emulation and retro in general
Iain
Admin

GameHeadz - Video / Computer Game History Documentary

Post by Iain »

Great made for TV documentary about the history of gaming. From Ralph Baer, through Atari, UK computers and Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbP8rD-7OQ

Em, guess my YouTube tags don't work any more after PHPBB upgrades.. the URL just sits there within the tags...

I ended up buying Ralph's book from a few years back from Amazon.com,only a mere $30, but with postage coming up at nearly the same! :-[ ] Only 3000 printed back in 2005 or so and hard to get, so probably worth it...
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Re: GameHeadz - Video / Computer Game History Documentary

Post by PaulEMoz »

I keep meaning to buy World 1-1, that looks good.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

PaulEMoz wrote:I keep meaning to buy World 1-1, that looks good.
Is that the full title? Amazon doesn't come up with anything when I search for it.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

It is the full title... finding it is a bit obtuse though, and it's a digital-only title.

Here you go: World 1-1
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Ah I see, I was searching for a book!

It looks interesting. Since you haven't bought it yet, you probably can't answer this but just in case you know.... if you buy the full version is there any DRM in it?

Once Upon Atari is also another great one. I got that recently on GOG.com with a sale price. I saw it years ago and thought it worth buying.

There's also Bedrooms to Billions, which everybody probably knows about at this stage. I was very impressed by that one.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Once Upon Atari is good, probably one of the earliest docu-type productions, done completely by Howard Scott Warshaw. Got a signed DVD of it somewhere here :)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Mayhem wrote:Once Upon Atari is good, probably one of the earliest docu-type productions, done completely by Howard Scott Warshaw. Got a signed DVD of it somewhere here :)
I certainly gained a lot more respect for those Atari coders after watching what they had to do code wise to get things working and after reading Racing the Beam, I was just about ready to fall on my knees and worship them! ;-)
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Iain wrote:Ah I see, I was searching for a book!

It looks interesting. Since you haven't bought it yet, you probably can't answer this but just in case you know.... if you buy the full version is there any DRM in it?
I've just bought it. The website gives you all kinds of talk about using Chromecast or Roku or whatever, but I've just downloaded an .mp4 file which I imagine can be watched any way you like.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeap, I saw all the Google devices logos etc. but I did read about multiple streaming but your only allowed to download once. Good to know that download seems to be DRM free.

Let us know what you think after watching it.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Got the book today, at least it didn't take the 6 weeks I was expecting. Thankfully it seems to have come airmail. It would want to for $23! :)