Emulators on Mobile Phones - C64 on your Nokia N-Gage

Chat about emulation and retro in general
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Emulators on Mobile Phones - C64 on your Nokia N-Gage

Post by elminster »

Now I Know that Frodo isn't the best C64 Emulator around,
but it is the only one available for the Nokia N-gage.

It runs quite well, a bit fiddly and there is no commodore Key emulated that I can find (so you can't play head over heels). It does emualte a 1541 disk drive, and supports .d64 and .t64 extensions. I played The Pawn on it with some success (a little limited buy the old Nokia Typing Technique) but it works, Its best for simpler games. Ghostbusters works pretty well.

Now theres another point. There is a PC version of this classic HOH at retrospec website. Its a beauty too, definitely a Sizzler!!, they even have Jet Set Willy. Retro is in bigtime, do an article in 108 (I remain optimistic)!
Elminster
The real Mage of Shadowdale!
(Alias Since 1989 - Christened on the Cafe Chrome BBS - In the Age of the Amiga... Beware of Imposters)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I was flicking through the new issue of Retro Gamer and saw an ad for a mobile phone version of Lemmings, must be VERY tricky to play that on a mobile phone!! It was hard enough on the C64 without a mouse. I guess the lemmings are only 3 pixels high as well! :-D
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I'm looking at getting a new Mobile in the next week or two - Any reccomendations on what to get if I want decent-ish emulation?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I guess get one with Java, a descent TFT screen and lots of memory and speed!
elminster
Techno Teaboy

Mobiles

Post by elminster »

Iain wrote:I guess get one with Java, a descent TFT screen and lots of memory and speed!
Well the N-Gage QD is perfect 8-) then as a Hybrid PDA / Game Console and Phone, it is the best value for money (feature wise). It supports bluetooth, although the MP3 player was removed from the first N-Gage, you can download it again, and the phone is slightly smaller than its predecessor, and the ear speaker and mic are positioned better, It also has a handsfree speaker (doubles as game audio). It supports streaming video too, and network play.

Can take any size MMC card (but not SD). I currently have a 512 MB card installed on mine - holds many c64 games 8-). I also have a spectrum emulator running on it.
The on board RAM is about 4 meg, The Screen isn't the biggest, but you can play in portrait or landscape mode. It has some good software for it (most of it independantly written by users of the phone).

Tomb Raider plays really well, I also have Doom for it which also plays well. There is a Mame Emulator for it too.

If your less into games then I reccomend the O2 XDA Mini II pocket PC phone at $900AU in theory about 300 quid but compared to N-Gage is expensive, but then N-Gage is PDA based not XDA based.
Elminster
The real Mage of Shadowdale!
(Alias Since 1989 - Christened on the Cafe Chrome BBS - In the Age of the Amiga... Beware of Imposters)