Harsh Ratings

Did you agree with them etc.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

relentless wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:I didn't play Slap Fight or Terra Cresta until many years after ZZAP reviewed them. They are both pretty good conversions but tricky games, but to my mind ZZAP were pretty close with their ratings.

Er, No. Popular opinion proves Terra Cresta was underrated.

Moving on, there seems to be a lot of talk about Delta's rating in this thread. My 2 cents on the subject is that I enjoyed playing it at the time, though I could clearly see the pros and cons of the game from both sides. Loved the adrenaline rush battling into the later levels while at the same time I was unnerved by the rather fixed path which had to be taken through most of the game. Haven't played it in years so that's all I remember.
And I was just giving my opinion. Sprite flicker, having to use the space bar to change modes, tricky patterns, the problem of being dropped in a difficult level without extra weapons... you can say that about both Slap Fight and Terra Cresta and come to agree with how ZZAP rated them.

As for Delta, over the years I have come to agree with Gary Penn and the overall rating. Highly polished yes, but just too linear.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:As for Delta, over the years I have come to agree with Gary Penn and the overall rating. Highly polished yes, but just too linear.
Oh so true and then some!
gater2112
Techno Teaboy

Post by gater2112 »

Fist II. I loved the atmosphere, spooky music and adventure element. Sure, you could walk for ages without a fight, but it drew me into its world.

Rambo. Probably nostalgia talking, but I really enjoyed it. An 80% game for me. Then again, I also thought Commando should have just about sizzled.

Rygar. I never understood the hate for this conversion. I thought it was pretty fun!
relentless
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by relentless »

Enigma force appears to have been another underrated game if looking at the rating folks have given it on Lemon and the % given by Zzap! -

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A ... 3FID%3D836

To be fair, the Zzap! review does say that fans of SF will most likely like EF as well. So, maybe the Lemon comments are from SF fans?

I can't actually comment myself on this, as I've never played Enigma Force or ShadowFire - they just don't look that interesting in the screenshots. Might load them up one day and take a gander. I did like most of the Denton Designs games and I've got a feeling EF/SF could be a little like Zoids in that respect - bland appearance with an awesome game lying underneath.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

gater2112 wrote:Fist II. I loved the atmosphere, spooky music and adventure element. Sure, you could walk for ages without a fight, but it drew me into its world.

Rambo. Probably nostalgia talking, but I really enjoyed it. An 80% game for me. Then again, I also thought Commando should have just about sizzled.

Rygar. I never understood the hate for this conversion. I thought it was pretty fun!
Fist II I was really disappointed with this after the original. Unlike you, the walking did my head in.

Rambo I loved this on release, but I was young at the time and in hindsight it wasn't great value for money. When released on budget a few years later though, it was a steal!

Rygar I think Jaz Rignall summed this up perfectly: "...fans will probably find the conversion enjoyable, but on the whole it can't be called an essential purchase.". I didn't purchase it...
Ogertron3000
Techno Teaboy

Re: Harsh Ratings

Post by Ogertron3000 »

Mad Doctor only getting 40%. Was one of my favourite games, the graphics were dodgy even by 1985 standards but it was very original for its time. I consider it to be the first open world game and it paved the way for GTA etc. maybe the reviewers were upset they couldn't get their monster to come to life at the end.
Might even be worth a zzap back if another issue is ever produced......
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Zzap didn't like it but people over at Lemon64 do seem to. :)

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A ... ad%2520doc
DAM
Techno Teaboy

Post by DAM »

I have been playing 'Implosion' quite a bit recently. I really like it and would say its up there as one of the best
multi scrolling shooters on the 64. It can be quite frantic and if you are not quick destroying the energy crystals
you in turn will die very quickly.

Nice controls, good graphics and excellent Fred Gray music. I thought the Zzap lads were a little bit harsh on it.
80% fom me