ZZAp 107 and the possibility of 108

Everything else about Zzap
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

ZZAp 107 and the possibility of 108

Post by Toneman »

Well I've been going over the site, re-living old memories and learning a lot about things that didn't even occur to me back in the day!

I've also (among other things) gone and downloaded ZZap 107 and thoroughly enjoyed both looking at and reading it. I really liked what Craig achieved with the layout, and the front cover was a particular highlight for me especially after I read how it was done! I did like the editorial style too!

You've no doubt heard all this before but let me add my thanks to the many you've had. I think it was a worthy issue in its own right, a tribute to all the hard work that went into it, and for me a lot of fun! It was particularly nice to see a bunch of old ZZap names in the credits and I guess without those it wouldn't be a 'proper' Zzap.

I have a couple of questions however. For those of us who like our printed matter actually printed (and not just on our home inkjets) are there any plans to produce a print on demand version? Enquiring minds want to know! (Well anyway I do). I doubt very much I'll ever see a printed 107 on Ebay and I'm sure one would go for a small fortune if it ever did turn up.

The second questions goes to issue 108 - from what I've read its beeen on, off and on again. Are there any plans to produce one or is it gone forever?

Once more my thanks.

Tony
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I would imagine an on-demand printing would cost quite a lot? Although prices have probably come down over the years.

The high quality PDFs are available (I assume) so you could see about getting a one off print yourself. If you do let us know where and how much it cost you!

As for issue 108, I would very much doubt it will be done. Most of the people who worked on issue 107 are at a different stage in their life and work now and don't have the free time they used to. It doesn't have to to be done by the same people of course, but nobody else has stepped up over the previous years.

I assume you have also noticed the Def Tribute to Zzap!64 magazine that came with an issue of Retro Gamer?

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... ?article=7
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

If its ok with you then I'll find out how much a print on demand version would cost - I would just rather do a bit to support the site than not. If anyone has any suggestions as to good sites to go to I'll gladly take them!

I did see the def tribute links but they seem to be broken. I've tried both the browsers on my computer with the same result - but I would of course love to see it.

For fanboys old and new it would be great to see a ZZap 108 but in my view it would only be a proper Zzap with involvement from ex-staffers and if they don't want to then....

Since you mention stepping up to the plate I've been involved in two newsletters in the past. One was The Tiebreaker which was the newsletter for Bucks LTA - I wrote for, designed and laid it out for about 4 years and it went from a 4 page word document to a 20 page little mag which was produced quarterly. I also did a 3 year stint as Editor, Writer designer, etc of The Gauntlet which is a re-enactment societies newsletter. Prior to my stint it also was done on word.and became a monthly(in season)/bi-monthly(off season) small mag. I'm still on the 'staff' of that.

I am of course no industry pro, and make no claims but if you want someone to step up to the plate in one capacity or another then I am happy to do that.

In fact the whole reason why I started on Tiebreaker was because I bottled out of applying for that staff writers job which was advertised in ZZAP all those years ago. I would never have got it but I often wish I had at least tried - so when the Tiebreaker came up I decided to go for it!
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

It seems I was wrong about broken links - they have just worked and I am about to read the def tribute. Woohoo!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It's a brilliant read. Some people didn't like the "rehash" of reviews but that was kinda the point of it and there is plenty of very interesting content besides that anyway.

Kudos to Mr. Zzapback / Lloyd for putting it all together (with some help)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

It's kinda cool that 107 and the Def Tribute are still getting discovered and read. Thanks for the compliments, Toneman.

108 should problably remain an elusive dream, particularly with the rather excellent Retro Gamer around the traps.

(But I'd happily jump back on board if someone was willing to man the helm).
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Ant wrote:(But I'd happily jump back on board if someone was willing to man the helm).
Same sentiments here. I'd love to be involved in an issue!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, if #108 ever gets resurrected then I'd be happy to jump back on...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

I've throroughly enjoyed reading the def tribute.It was a bloody fantastic read though now I want to see it printed properly! I was again really impressed with the layout and design and hope perhaps one day I'll achieve something as nicely designed and laid out as that. I can see the work that went into it and it was well worth it.

There were lots of highlights, but I've have to say for me the the 'compare and contrast' reviews were paarticularly good. It was interesting to see how many (indeed how few) of those games I used to love have stood the test of time. I loved Delta back then but the wall sections annoy the crap out of me these days as does the way that your craft's movement is just not fast enough until you've bought the power ups. Then I have to go a stage more than I'm comfortable at just to get past one of the wall sections! So I think the original review was spot on though I'll say I disagreed with it violently at the time.

Just briefly, I don't think Wizball deserves that gold medal - much as I loved it and still do. Until you get the movement sorted out it can be a complete pain which just knocks it off that top spot. Having got that off my chest I'll shut up now. I see a lot of people on this site who know a lot more about the subject than I do!

Citadel has been discussed a fair bit in another thread, and now I've found a USB quickhot pro I am thoroughly enjoyng it again. I didn't know it was available in so many different ways! Its one of those games I think could be updated and make the transition to a modern style 3-d game. I feel similarly about paradroid. I found a 3-d version but I was thinking more of a 1st or 3d person shooter with a different hacking sub game.

As far as an issue 108 goes I'd love to see it for all sorts of reasons but I can't see it being a ZZap issue without some ZZap staffers on the team. Its a nice dream though ;) .
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

God damn it, I stop in here to unwind a bit and now you got me thinking again... :)

I have some ideas for 108. But they're all either stupidly ambitious or would require some friendly 'wrangling'.

Sigh....

But as others have said far more eloquently, I am very glad you liked the issue! That is so lovely to hear :)
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Gazunta wrote:I have some ideas for 108. But they're all either stupidly ambitious...
Ambition is good. How else does the human race progress otherwise? ;)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Toneman wrote:I've throroughly enjoyed reading the def tribute.It was a bloody fantastic read though now I want to see it printed properly! I was again really impressed with the layout and design and hope perhaps one day I'll achieve something as nicely designed and laid out as that. I can see the work that went into it and it was well worth it.
Hi Toneman, thx for the feedback.
I have a printed copy for you if you like.
Send me your address stuff through Private Message and I'll arrange it for you.

Ta!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

30th anniversary special with input from ex-reviewers?
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Hehe... I always love it when I come back and find new posts in here...
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:30th anniversary special with input from ex-reviewers?
That's seems to have come out all small. Allow me to enlarge it for you...

30th anniversary special with input from ex-reviewers?

There you go!

:wink: :twisted: