ZZAp 107 and the possibility of 108

Everything else about Zzap
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I don't know. Would it (still) make sense?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

My head hurts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Lloyd Mangram wrote:I don't know. Would it (still) make sense?
I don't think so—much of the scene has tailed off (check the C64 remix mob for further evidence). More to the point is that this would be 'just another one'. 107 was great, because it gave us a chance to produce a final issue of Zzap!64 that wasn't rubbish. The follow-up by Rob was then a lovely and fitting tribute that also really felt like a full-stop to me.

I certainly wouldn't avoid the project if other people were to produce it, but I'm not sure I see the point in another tribute magazine these days.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

gordon wrote:My head hurts.
Wish I had a head.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
jerellis1
Techno Teaboy

Post by jerellis1 »

Folks, why stop at 108? I don't think that should be the limit of our ambition for a magazine we all love so dearly. One a year sounds about right to me - and a juicy, thick issue every year at that. A Christmas Special even!

If you're looking for bodies to get involved and help out, count me in. I don't have any experience in producing a magazine but I wrote The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x which went down fairly well with those who read it. If whoever was in charge of issue 107 wants to get in touch then I'd only be too pleased to hear from them and to offer any help I can. :)
Last edited by jerellis1 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SAVE FERRIS
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Lloyd Mangram wrote:Wish I had a head.
:) I always knew you were just a brain with eyes on stalks, Lloyd.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

A big thick Christmas special every year?!

I'd say a couple of people have fainted at their keyboard at the thought of that. ;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Nobody can ever beat this!

228 pages!
Hats off to Gordo and the team, I bruised my wrist when I took it off the shelf back in 1988! :)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

It was a good issue. :) Pity about the cover: not one of Oli's best, and not helped by Thunderblade being a poor game... Not even sure it was in that issue either... The ace fat blob puzzle game Bombuzal was, though... *continues to mumble incoherently for three hours*
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The last really great Zzap issue all right. Thunderblade isn't too bad all things considered, there were a lot worse arcade conversions around.
jerellis1
Techno Teaboy

Post by jerellis1 »

Well... perhaps one Christmas Special every year might be a bit much - but how about one every two years? Or maybe we could start with just one new issue - say, Christmas 2012, which would be a nice, round ten years since issue 107 appeared - and take it from there?

Let's say it would need to be 100 pages long, some of which could be free ads (or even reprints of the greatest ads to appear in the original magazines); that would leave around 80-90 pages of editorial content, the burden of which could be shared equally by half a dozen enthusiastic (and perhaps slightly tipsy) writers over the course of the next twelve months... that would make for a very impressive but perfectly feasible issue!

So, shall we start with a list of potential features? :idea:
SAVE FERRIS
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

Personally when I picked up that Xmas special I put out my back all over again! I haven't recovered yet ;)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

jerellis1 wrote:Let's say it would need to be 100 pages long, some of which could be free ads (or even reprints of the greatest ads to appear in the original magazines); that would leave around 80-90 pages of editorial content, the burden of which could be shared equally by half a dozen enthusiastic (and perhaps slightly tipsy) writers over the course of the next twelve months... that would make for a very impressive but perfectly feasible issue!
Define 'feasible'. 107 was 32 pages and that was enough of a pain in the backside to get sorted and design; Rob's was double that at 64, but he's clearly totally insane.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:
jerellis1 wrote:Rob's was double that at 64, but he's clearly totally insane.
Yeah, there, good point!

Err... wait a minute!

Nyaaagh!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

OK, to expand on what I said in small text...

There are two possible 30th anniversaries. 2012 is the 30th anniversary of the Commodore 64 being released. A ZZAP! special to mark the occasion with reviews of new hardware and software? And then 2015 would be the 30th anniversary of the magazine itself.