Zzap 64 Games Reviews Collection

Did you agree with them etc.
Taff 64
Ken's Fishy Friend

Zzap 64 Games Reviews Collection

Post by Taff 64 »

I am currently compiling the entire games collection reviewed in every Zzap 64 magazine. Let me know if anybody is interested and I shall create a torrent. I have downloaded them all in Zip format from the gamebase collection and I am converting them all back into sepearate unzipped folders using the 1541U re-organiser tool. Each folder will be listed as ISSUE 1-107. Each of these folders will have the games and these will be named in exactly the same format as listed in the magazines index for easy reference.
I have thought about doing this for some time now as it was such a great C64 mag...
I am doing this for when I recieve my 1541 Ultimate 2 cartridge... :D :D
Taff 64
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Taff 64 »

Hi! Here it is as promised. This has every game reviewed in the mag (apart from the lost games Daffy Duck etc). I have also included all the games from the Grandaddy to Zzap, PCG magazine. Both are in torrent format. Just go to the link below. The zips can be found and downloaded there. Once unzipped add them to your torrent client...

You will also if not already need to register on the site to view posts in the forum there.

Enjoy!! :D

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/ind ... =9615#9615
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Great. I'm getting them now.

Would you mind posting the torrent links here?
Taff 64
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Taff 64 »

Hi Iain. Even better for all you who would like to download. Somebody is now hosting the files on an FTP site...

http://jus.si/c64/zzap!64/

Enjoy!

Let me know of any errors or missing files. There are some files missing which I have had difficulties finding on the net so if anybody can get hold of them then let me know!! :D
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The forum software is getting confused by the ! in the URL so best to just copy and paste into your browser:

jus.si/c64/zzap!64/
Taff 64
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Taff 64 »

Iain wrote:The forum software is getting confused by the ! in the URL so best to just copy and paste into your browser:

jus.si/c64/zzap!64/
Yeah I noticed that too Iain. Let me know what you think of this collection. Maybe Mort could add them to his Zzap 64 Cd's which would make a worthy addition to his amazing scans of the mag... :D

Please note that there a quite a few missing Art Gallery and compunet files which I cannot seem to find... :(
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Looked at the collection last night. very impressive. I had assumed you would put all the gold medals and Sizzlers in their own folder in root, but you have created a gold medal etc. folder within each issue folder, which I think actually works better.

I also really like how you have added some article / round up folders. There was plenty of them towards the end so you'll keep yourself busy expanding on that bit of the project!

p.s. Moved the thread into the Zzap Reviews forum since it belongs there more.
Taff 64
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Taff 64 »

Iain wrote:Looked at the collection last night. very impressive. I had assumed you would put all the gold medals and Sizzlers in their own folder in root, but you have created a gold medal etc. folder within each issue folder, which I think actually works better.

I also really like how you have added some article / round up folders. There was plenty of them towards the end so you'll keep yourself busy expanding on that bit of the project!

p.s. Moved the thread into the Zzap Reviews forum since it belongs there more.
Many thanks Iain. Took me a long time to download each game. It's something I started years ago and only just decided to finish the past few weeks. As for the articles/round up folders bit then any suggestions would be appreciated... :wink:
Toneman
Techno Teaboy

Post by Toneman »

Thansk for doing this Taff. I have downloaded the collection and am now browsing it. It's brought back some memories I must say and I get to look at and play the games I didn't buy back then!

Tony
gater2112
Techno Teaboy

Post by gater2112 »

Thanks so much, what a great idea!

Note: the jus.si link wouldn't work when copied into my browser, but deleting the "!" did make it work.
Rockford
Techno Teaboy

The good old days

Post by Rockford »

Many thanks for this too. Lets you see how the games really improved in such a short period of time. Some of these games are still very playable today. I still remember spending every waking hour trying to complete china miner!
Iain
Admin

Re: The good old days

Post by Iain »

Rockford wrote:Lets you see how the games really improved in such a short period of time.
Didn't they just? Looking at the games reviewed in PCG and then a couple of years later the games reviewed in Zzap were just in a different league (for the most part!)

I always find it fascinating the way the C64 was there from the early days of gaming to its maturing and beyond and how a 1982 game and 1994 game while looking and playing so differently were running on the exact same machine. I doubt we'll see that again, a machine lasting so long and the games advancing so fast within that space of time (certainly in the first 5 years anyway).
debit

Post by debit »

Iain wrote:
Rockford wrote:Lets you see how the games really improved in such a short period of time.
Didn't they just? Looking at the games reviewed in PCG and then a couple of years later the games reviewed in Zzap were just in a different league (for the most part!)

I always find it fascinating the way the C64 was there from the early days of gaming to its maturing and beyond and how a 1982 game and 1994 game while looking and playing so differently were running on the exact same machine. I doubt we'll see that again, a machine lasting so long and the games advancing so fast within that space of time (certainly in the first 5 years anyway).
This is so true. It's crazy to think Mayhem In Monsterland is running on the same hardware as Jet Set Willy.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Iain wrote:

Look at the PS2, coders had really hit their stride by the end (God of War being a prime example) but the "five year cycle" saw them move on.