Retro Gamer 97

Post by Ockhams Razor »

Oliver Frey cover- check
6 page article on Zzap!64 - check
Awesome!
Ockhams Razor
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Ockhams Razor »

also, they have just released Volume 3 of the emag and it contains the 20-minute video of 'The Newsfield Years'.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Oi!
Ta!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Downloaded it on my ipad (the decadence!) and I liked the article about Zzap!64, although the interview was hardly 'cutting edge' or something.

Couple of errors I came across (without looking for them) though: "Sanction" instead of "Sanxion" plus Markie was quoted on the excellent covers of "Super Pro", I'm pretty sure (99%) he meant "Super Play".

Enjoyable stuff anyhoo.
Ta!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Picked this up at the airport on my way back from England over the weekend. Nice interview but as Lloyd said, nothing too new in it.

Interesting article on cover tapes as well, although they made no mention of the old argument that full games on the cover tapes was damaging the commercial games market, although maybe this only applied to the 16bits...
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Iain wrote:Picked this up at the airport on my way back from England over the weekend. Nice interview but as Lloyd said, nothing too new in it.

Interesting article on cover tapes as well, although they made no mention of the old argument that full games on the cover tapes was damaging the commercial games market, although maybe this only applied to the 16bits...
Well, ELSPA did reach the agreement about limiting the number of full games given away on a disk/tape, which in general was aimed at 16-bit magazines but did cover the tapes as well.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

RE: cover tapes

Commodore User's Cool Spool with playable levels of 720 and Buggy Boy was quite nifty too, and also 1987-ish IIRC.

I expected a little more attention for the first Zzap! tape with the Rob Hubbard remix (it is mentioned alright) but it was truly a mindblowing experience and got me all into the games music (up to now, actually).

Mentioning Rignall and Penn in the intro but not Jarratt (hello!) and/or Liddon was a shortcoming too - imho.