Emulation for the layman?

Chat about emulation and retro in general
seanbags
Freelancer

Emulation for the layman?

Post by seanbags »

Please is there anyone who can help me actually run this emulator on my new puter? here i have been eagerly awaiting the day that i have my own puter to use and play c64 games and i cant even get the stupid thing running>>>YES i have read the instructions detailed in (computerbrains)
supposedly a simple matter of extracting the downloaded archived file to a new folder in the hard drive.. yes perhaps this is easy for the experienced pc buff but that i am NOT...
i have DIRECTX and winzip but i just cant do it...HELP im getting desparate :cry:
please somebody give me simple instructions on running this program CCS64 V2.0 BETA ....PLEASE? :?:
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Have you tried using WinVice - I tend to find it easier to use than CCS, plus all the options are in 'pull down' menu form...
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

OK...

1. Find the directory to which you extracted CCS64 (you will have chosen one when you unzipped the file).
2. Double-click on the file "ccs.exe"
3. After a short while, you'll see the C64 blue screen, witha flashing cursor.
4. Press F9 to bring up a menu
5. Press RETURN (this selects the top menu item, "1541 Device 8"
6. You should now look for your games directory.

** If you don't have any games, looks for some on sites such as www.c64.com, or others which you can find here
** Then put the games into a directory such as c:\CCS64\games and follow directions 1-5 again

7. Select the game you want to load and press RETURN

CCS64 recognises keyboard and joysticks, but you might have to configure these yourself, or select them from the joysticks menu (hold down "ALT" and press "I" when you're in CCS64). Fiddle around with the control port options until you're happy.

Also, some games require different joystick ports, so press ALT and F10 (I think) to switch them.

Hope this helps for starters. :)

g.

[edit] ...and LeeT's right: if you're still struggling with it, WinVICE does follow more standard Windows protocols, such as menus and windows, so might be easier for you.
salem
Techno Teaboy

Post by salem »

It doesn't even have to that complicated. If you double click on a game file Windows will ask you which program to open it with. Just browse for the CCS exe file and tick the box to always use this to open this kind of file. From now one, double clicking on a game file will automatically open CCS and load the game. Not the way for purists, but I'm lazy. ;)

Also, if you can get hold of the Gambase 64 CDs, it's even easier. Some of us will be sending out copies to people who want them, but we're having a few problems copying at the moment. See this thread at Lemon:

http://www.lemon64/viewtopic.php?t=9325
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

I must say that Im impressesd with the quick responce that i recieved after posting my worried banter in here. Ill have to read and re-read these replys to try and understand some of this terminoligy... please forgive me but im still a little confused, I mean " directory? "
Im sure I saved the "zipped" file in my "recieved files" spot. (directory?)
I did manage to unzip the file which showed about ten files within..
I even managed to have the puter ask me at one stage which file I would like to open the file " which was then about ten files " and from there my brain crashed almost as quick as windows media does when Im trying to do more than one thing at a time..
:? after re-reading the simple "instructions" on installing the software I tryed to "extract" the zipped file to a new file in the hard drive only to successfully be unable to send that file ( or files ) in that direction yet having multiple copys of these files sitting in my harddrive (zipped and unzipped) and I then promptly sent them to the "recycle bin" over and over till i couldnt fint them polluting my every turn (click) I made.
WINGE WINGE CRY WINGE!!!
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

ok>>> ive had some progress.. i found the file ccs.exe and double clicked it.. puter said to me couldnt open this file coz a required file was not found >>> .DLL file D3D9.DLL
after starting something i dont like to give up so that other emulator (VICEla alala ) will have to wait till this ssc64 ( which from the polls seems to be the GO ) totally destroys my patience.
ahhhh,, im starting to understand why one person mentioned that the ssc64 gives a more c64 feel .. MY synapses are allready starting to "FEEL" the way thay did back in th 80-s :roll:
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

It looks like you need to put direct x on your machine direct x 8 or 9 should surfice if you are using windows 98/xp 2000 etc. This will mean vice etc will run and won`t complain about having a missing file. Try that and see what happens :)
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

looks to me like you actually need direct x 9.. ive found the file d3d8.dll but no d3d9.dll>>> yes i do have direct x and i got this programme specifically for running this emulator ( i asume i only have direct x 8 )
correct me if im wrong...
im off to find direct x 9
thankyou for your prompt reply
very professional :o
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

ok, im back>>>i have had success !!! yes.. i have had the ccs64 emulator runing on my puter.. i found it to be a little unresponsive in the keyboard dept ( slow ) my excitement levels werer at an all time high especially when loading up Turrican 2 the final fight. a game we never got the privlage of getting here in Australia..... BUT i am disapointed to say that once the game finally came on the only button that would work was the spacebar.. i couldnt move or do anything but use the spacebar..also the graphics were not as good as the demo ( no where near as good ) i played to death of my ZZap Megatape. it was also slower than the demo. mind you i never got to do anything but fire the sheild (with spacebar)
so i am thoroughly disapointed in this emulator so far. oh and there was also no sound whatsoever>>YES i did try the other sound settings..
SO if therer is anybody else interested in playing C64 i would recomend playing C64 and not PC emulator C64 because it is just a waste of time and effort :x
NO i am not going to try downloading other emulaters and games which are sub-standard to the originals
:roll: But i must say, the help i recieved in this web-site was most proffessional and did actually get my emulator running so that i could make my own mind up!!!
:wink:
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

ok>>>> :oops: ive decided to plug away at this problem.

Downloaded CCS64 version 2 ( was using version 3 ) and have had some good results. the sound and speed were alot better. Beautifull in fact, but i am a little disapointed in not being able to ajust the size of the window, its too small. i guess the only way to make it bigger ( using version 2 ) is to get a larger moniter..

anyway as the game progressed through the loading screens and i sipped my cup of tea and chewed some more on my thumb i got over this minor setback. However, the warm smile was quickly wiped of my face when the game started ( Turrican 2 , The Final Fight ) and once again found that all i could do was press the spacebar to let of the shield. No joystick responce and no keypad responce.. Will i have to download version 1 only to find that the same problem exists..

Perhaps someone could go to www.computerbrains.com and download turrican 2 and see if it is just the game not being compatible with these emulators or perhaps someone has some sound advise to get me finally PLAYING the games i want to play.

mabey its my joystick ( which i doubt ) but then why wont the keypad work

the blister on my thumb is now visible from a distance :oops:
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Erm, isn't there an option on CCS64 to make the screen size bigger - Have another look - I am sure there is....

Regarding Turrican 2, you might have a faulty game file - Try one of these sites for another file...

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=8234&d=18&h=0

ftp://c64.rulez.org/pub/c64/Scene/Old/t/
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

erm.. yes you are right>> there is an option for changing the screen size which I have learnt to use at about 1 am this morning
( alt V then left or right >>>> ENTER ) very important to know when changing screen size because some of them actually distort the screen beyond recognition. so in regards to screen size i am happy once again

version 2 has much better responce then the latest version ( 3 ) although i did particularly like being able to have c64 running in a movable window.

"Regarding Turrican 2, you might have a faulty game file - Try one of these sites for another file... " lee T
Yes i think you might be right>>thanks for the new links :P

looks like i might have to spend alot more time and patience getting an actuall Joystick to work, but for the time being im happy using the keyboard controles> my joystick is a "DSX model #: x-3100"
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

Decided to bring my emulator banter back to this forum, that way I'll(hopefully) only get replys by those whome are actually keen to help and learn about using the CCS64 .

I'll keep posting my wins and losses in here for those who are trully interested.. You never know it might actually help someone else if kept simple and to the point..

So far I have recieved alot of help frome the ZZap staff which I could not do without :wink:

:arrow: WELL DONE GROOVERS !!!!!!

OK >>>> can anyone get through the final loading screen for Creatures2?
Its the one that says "LOADING" in rainbow colours..

In other words , has anybody successfully played CREATURES 2 using CCS64?
IF SO, what version?
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I havent got CCS64 set-up at the moment, only WinVICE so I cannot check 'Creatures 2', however I would repeat that if you are using game files from www.c64.com - There is the likelihood that the game file is faulty. Go to another site (that I listed above) and download it again. If you do that, you will get a version that works...
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

Went to gamebase64.com . Was given a choice of 2 servers to download Creatures 2 . one didnt exist anymore . I did manage to get C2 from the server only to find that the files were "corrupt".
Its 1.28 AM here in Australia at the moment so im of to bed..

Ill go and try downloads from the hectic RULEZ.org after a good sleep. went there earlier and saw that there were 12 diffarant creatures files to try>>>uurrhhgg ( Creatures 1 + 2 )