Retro Gamer 106

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Retro Gamer 106

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Out Thursday August 16th, features a big interview with Julian Rignall, who also pops up in my C64 30th anniversary article...
Iain
Admin

Re: Retro Gamer 106

Post by Iain »

Looking forward to the issue. Will have to try and source the issue. I have to travel mighty far to get a newsagent that stocks it.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

In the shops today, brilliant making of Uridium article and a big piece on the Grandstand LCD games. Plus the excellent Rignall interview.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Deary me, this forum is just becoming a place for people to promote their books and magazines ;-)

I'll be up in the big smoke on Saturday so I should be able to pick up a copy to read on the way home :)
debit

Post by debit »

Merman,

Thanks so much for the the Retro Gamer issue 106 article. Well written, interesting, and - finally - a few words from Jaz! Great stuff. I hope you push for and continue to be commissioned many more articles on the best home computer ever.

I don't buy every issue of Retro Gamer since becoming an expat, as here in Dubai it costs nearly twice the cover price and not every issue appeals to me. But it was worth it this month for the C64 piece alone. Fantastic work, Andrew.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Thanks very much, always nice to know people enjoy what I write.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

I don't buy many issues these days, but popped into my local Smiths yesterday to get a copy. Alas, they don't sell it any more so an online purchase for me I guess.
debit

Post by debit »

andy vaisey wrote:I don't buy many issues these days, but popped into my local Smiths yesterday to get a copy. Alas, they don't sell it any more so an online purchase for me I guess.
I started to find it very hard to find copies in the UK. A familiar story it would seem. My local Smiths used to get a few copies, but then they stopped. Not having a go or moaning - just sayin'.

But here's the thing. Literally dozens find their way to Borders and WH Smiths in Dubai and Qatar - it's actually easier to pick up a Retro Gamer in the Gulf than some parts of the UK. I remember the same used to be true for Zzap! and Commodore Format in the later years when I lived in Asia. Couldn't find CF in a newsies anywhere by the end in England (yes, I know why) - but you could pick up a battered, torn copy in Singapore. Minus the covertapes!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

The magazine doesn't seem to make all WH Smiths. It definitely hits the very large ones, you can see the pile from far away in Victoria train station for example. But having a sub is cheaper in the long run anyhow.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
relentless
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by relentless »

For those folks who haven't read the Rignall interview an extended version of it with extra snaps is available at -

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/featur ... erview.php

Read it yesterday - and yes great work, Prof Brain Strain. By far the best Jaz interview I've seen. In fact it's so good it almost reminds me of the legendary Zzap programmer interviews.

Fills in a lot of gaps about Jaz's early days - no wonder Jaz was over the moon landing a game reviewer job after the Headmaster at his school lectured him about never making a living playing games. Jaz disgraced his school on national radio!

Only question I have that wasn't covered was why he left World of Warcraft magazine? It must have been good money and he said that he was a fan of the game, so why move? Makes me wonder, did he jump or was he pushed? Still, the guy doesn't seem to stay in any one job for more than 2 or 3 years so perhaps it was him just getting tired again.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Ah, I did not do that interview with Rignall, it was by Damien McFerren.
relentless
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by relentless »

Well, then I guess I'll wait for your talk with Rignall to come online sometime :) . Actually, that Mean Machines podcast idea of his sounds pretty good for Zzap fans as well. He's bound to mention stuff about the Newsfield years too as it'll be retro themed.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

You can get issue 106 of Retro Gamer in digital form from www.greatdigitalmags.com