DEF Facebook page about Zzap!64

Everything else about Zzap
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

DEF Facebook page about Zzap!64

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi folks, you might want to now I just started a new facebook page about Zzap!64, I'll try to keep things alive with regular updates of Zzap related content.
You're all welcome of course to join the fun. Roger and Oli already have arrived! :)

Please 'LIKE' and share the news! http://www.facebook.com/DefZzap64

Ta!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Re: DEF Facebook page about Zzap!64

Post by Iain »

It is rather good, with comments from old staffers as well. Easier for them to look and comment on stuff on FB than here I guess.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Good stuff!

But yet something else I can't 'interact' with because of my refusal to have a Facebook page... :(
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

andy vaisey wrote:Good stuff!

But yet something else I can't 'interact' with because of my refusal to have a Facebook page... :(
Get over it - I had the same opinion not long ago, but it's great and very easy to get into. Ta!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well I'm kinda sick of FB but I have very little info in it (e.g wrong age and no address etc.) and I have switched on most of the privacy options I can find so I don't use any apps etc. but I can still see what my "friends" post and interact with pages like Rob's.

So if you set up an account like that, they shouldn't be able to collect too much data about you. I wouldn't trust Facebook with my personal data and far as I could throw them!
zaxxon1
Techno Teaboy

Post by zaxxon1 »

The FB page is great!
Zzap!Raine, the Raine Magazine.....
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Great! I've Liked it and linked it. :)
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Ta folks - In the future I'll hand the admin over to another enthusiast.
I have analytics of the page now and it goes sky high, over 1000 views a day. Plenty of ex-staff lurking and participating, really nice. It was never meant to draw away attention from Iain's board of course, so I'll put in a few links here and there soon - it's just that FB is so accessible for the masses, with easy sharing, commenting and linking, compared to a forum like this, I guess.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

FB stuff is very accessible these days all right. Much easier to comment on something there, where all people are already registered, compared to registering etc. on a new forum.

Hard to know how it will evolve (FB in general), will people get bored and move onto something else, or will it just be a medium that is almost generic, like email or something...

Great to see the "new" photos etc. up on the FB page anyway and always interesting reading the ex staff discussing them.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Facebook (and Google+) are replacing this sort of forum, in many ways.

Perhaps the way forward is to integrate the main site with this new Facebook group, so those reading on Facebook can dig deeper by visiting here. E.G. A post on Facebook about Christmas specials could link to issue scans and HTML conversions. Sure there must also be a way to display the latest group posts on the front page.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I don't have a personal Facebook account, but we do have a business one, so I'm able to view stuff and gander round, even if I don't "like" or "comment" on posts.

In reference to this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

That's me. Or, that's my note from Robin heh. It was in reference to the late arrival of some goodies for supplying some tips for the magazine, it might have been the Crackdown guide.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Professor Brian Strain wrote: Perhaps the way forward is to integrate the main site with this new Facebook group, so those reading on Facebook can dig deeper by visiting here. E.G. A post on Facebook about Christmas specials could link to issue scans and HTML conversions. Sure there must also be a way to display the latest group posts on the front page.
I'm not that happy with any Facebook integration on the site since all those FB plugins, like buttons etc. you see on many sites around the web are all about tracking you. They have a pretty full picture of most of us at this stage I'd imagine. :( Unless there was some way to just get a simple text / html feed without any tracking javascript and whatnot...
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Fair enough, was just an idea in response to what Rob was saying.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Great news. It's in my likes :)

Facebook is a new way to interact, but I don't believe it will replace the forum as it is an external site which nobody has total control over. The only control is limited to the admin options what Facebook gives you and they can change your level of control without any notice,

Although it's very unlikely that Facebook would just disappear tomorrow, all those posts will be lost if they do so, unlike here where Iain can make backups. However I so see the Facebook page like an extension to this site.

So I think a direct link from here to the Facebook page is a fair compromise without compromising the site. I also believe that PHPBB forums will be around for some while yet because admin has total control over it (providing they don't use the forum freehosts) :)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hehe, the FB page is in no way any kind of replacement of Iain's excellent work. It was just a wild idea I had one night to get things going. Wanted to hand over the admin role to another enthusiast one day, I guess Iain's not too enthusiastic about it hehe with the FB conspiracy.

Anyway, funny (in a sad way) that you mention it Sixteen Plus, but we lost 3500 messages over here due to a hack back in... what was it? 2004/5?