SID VOICE SYNTHESIS - QUIET?

Everything else C64 related
NOVALOAD
Techno Teaboy

SID VOICE SYNTHESIS - QUIET?

Post by NOVALOAD »

I dont know if anyone else has/had suffered from this problem. Ive never heard anyone complain about it before, but this may (may) be of some relevence to someone.

Anyone play Ghostbusters or Turbo OutRun on their 64C and found the voice synthesis very quiet? Yet on the C64 (Brown `Un) it sounded loud and clear?
Well, many years ago I thought I`d take the sid chip out of my old C64 and put it in my newer C64C only to find the voice synthesis came out loud as hell but the music was almost inaudible :evil: . Hmmmm, so I piggy backed one chip on top of the other, and guess what? No more sound problems! :D

Although this worked fine with my 64c (and a friends 64c), I cant guarantee your machine will do the same. Try It At Your Own Risk. :D

Shamone!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hey!
Wozzat!?
Rippin' off my nifty avatar? :wink:
Nyaaargh!

Btw:
Hmmmm, so I piggy backed one chip on top of the other, and guess what?
The whole c64 full of little baby Sid's! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

That's because Novaload, the SID chips in the old and newer C64 are not the same. Commodore fixed a number of "bugs" in the older SID chip, one of which allowed musicians to get samples running loudly. You can solder a diode onto a newer SID to get round this. You shouldn't swop SIDs between C64 and C64C because they run on different internal voltages.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
NOVALOAD
Techno Teaboy

Post by NOVALOAD »

Oh. Nice to know. I realised they were differnt chips by the chip id and the obvious affect it had on the system. I didnt realise the chip voltages were any different. Ahh well it still runs sweet, and by luck by the sounds of it. :D
Eeeee Heeee, Shamone Mofo !