Commodore: The Amiga Years by Brian Bagnall

Everything else C64 related
Iain
Admin

Commodore: The Amiga Years by Brian Bagnall

Post by Iain »

I've been waiting for this book for a long time now with the release date getting pushed forward and forward, but for a few months it's been marked with a published date of 31 July 2013 on Amazon.co.uk, so it might really be out in a couple of days!

Commodore: The Amiga Years
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Commodore: The Amiga Years by Brian Bagnall

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Will probably buy it when it's released, or ask for it as a birthday/Christmas present.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I was planning to get it as a Christmas present last year when it was due out a bit before, but Christmas is too far away at this stage so I'll be getting it as soon as it's out I think.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

31th July came and went and still no buy button... :( I hope it does come out at some stage!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

As mentioned on comp.sys.cbm, the page for the book on the Variant website is now gone... :-o

So that's a bit worrying. I also sent them an email about the release date a week or two ago and got no reply.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

The third book, Commodore: The Final Years is out.

I backed it on Kickstarter, got a snazzy Commodore business card.

Read it just before Christmas and it really shows how incompetent Irving Gould was.
Oh, and ZZAP got a mention for covering the C65 (if I remember correctly, Iain was one of the readers who wrote in about it too...)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I got it a good while ago as well. A great read. It seems to me the company somehow survived as long as it did, in spite of itself (i.e. incompetent management etc.), although I guess there are a lot of companies out there like that...

I think us Amiga owners (me anyway) were in a bit of a bubble and didn't see or tried to block out that the computer world was changing around us with PCs at one end and consoles at the other...

Now, I don't think the Amiga really had a chance even if it was owned by a great company, although having said that, Apple was almost in the same situation as Commodore but they came out of it and seem to be doing quite well these days!