Site Twitter Account

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Re: Site Twitter Account

Post by Iain »

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 23 Sept

There's also an Arcade game round-up. 74 games and that's only the 1st part! Hard Drivin' got 9% but good compared to Cisco Heat with 7%!

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 25 Sept

A quote from Lloyd in July 1993 issue referring to the C64: "The machine may have passed its heyday (arguably)...". That did make me smile!

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 25 Sept

Iss 97 finished. Interesting Back to the Feature 1985 article
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 6 Oct

Onward to issue 98! Just discovered that Mario Bros has an ID of 666 in my game table! A coincidence or not... :-D

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 6 Oct

Slots of Fun! Part 2. 79 games reviewed this time! Power drift only got 85%, which seems kinda low. Still much better than Wec Le Mans @ 30%
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

In hindsight 85% for Power Drift is right. A very good attempt at cramming the game into a single load, but some minor flaws (and the presentation-rich Turbo Out Run arriving two months later) make it just miss out on a Sizzler in my eyes.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:In hindsight 85% for Power Drift is right. A very good attempt at cramming the game into a single load, but some minor flaws (and the presentation-rich Turbo Out Run arriving two months later) make it just miss out on a Sizzler in my eyes.
It is a little easy to play, especially on the earlier levels but I was still mighty impressed with it. I must play it again and see how it holds up, but to be honest C64 arcade conversions racers just don't cut it for me any more when I can play the original on MAME!

Funnily enough, Miles only gave Turbo Outrun in the round-up, 69%, which I found rather surprising!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Playing Turbo Out Run from tape was tortuous, but even then it would still be a Sizzler for how well it conveys the arcade experience. Some of the best music on the C64, too.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

/me loves Powerdrift.

A great game in a single load.

And that is why I prefer it to Turbo. Turbo has some great presentation, graphics and sounds, but the tape loader kills the experience for me. I think that the original Outrun conversion on tape probably had it right with different courses in different loads.

But each to his own...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I remember being really disappointed when I discovered there was no split road in the C64 version of Outrun. Also I wasn't happy with the lack of trucks, especially as the Speccy screenshots had them!

Powerdrift in a single load must have relied on some sort of witchcraft. ;-)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I was hugely disappointed with Turbo at the time. Even on disc, it just felt kind of mushy, and the car was WAY too big. Power Drift was just a much more fun game to me. Neither holds up terribly well now, I'd say; in fact, it's hard to think of any C64 racers that do, beyond, perhaps, Stunt Car Racer—which is significantly better on Amiga.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Powerdrift is incredibly impressive for what it does. Sure it's not really doing what the arcade does, but it's still a fun racer, if a little easy. Apart from that, Buggy Boy and Stunt Car Racer are great one-player games, and Pitstop II still holds up as a two-player title.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Buggy Boy is a very impressive C64 racer and Stunt Car racer is still great but my preference would be for the Amiga version alright.

Interesting what you say about Turbo Outrun Craig, playing them both now on Mame, Turbo just doesn't really do it for me. I prefer the graphics and perspective of the original Outrun, but on the C64 Turbo Outrun was a big improvement compared to the original, maybe I was wowed by the impressive presentation as well.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Continuing my 'Powerdrift' enthusiasm, I will also suggest that the C64 conversion is arguably a better game than the Amiga. I found the Amiga version waaaay too messy in the GFX department. Sure, from a technical viewpoint, there is loads going on with all the layering like in the coin-op, but playability wise, it basically sucks.

I replayed Buggy Boy the other day, just to see if my memories hold up to reality and was pleasantly surprised! Still, not a bad game at all. Sure, no 'Forza Horizon', but a very playable game.

And I still think 'Turbo Outrun' was disappointing. Playing 'Chase HQ 2' the other day also, I think Turbo would have been better with a smaller car and a few tweaks. I played 'Turbo Charge' as well for the sake of completeness and although very slick all round, the loader also killed it for me.

So it seems in my case, I prefer single load racing games like Outrun, Powerdrift and Buggy Boy for constant action. And thumbs up for Pitstop II and Stunt Car, as others have mentioned in previous threads.

Waffle over.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Totally agree on Amiga Power Drift (as did the ZZAP review) - too messy.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 1 Nov

Imagine Publishing claim that they now own copyright etc. to Zzap and Crash, hard to know what this will mean: https://twitter.com/ImagineMD/status/528134925451407360
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 4th Nov

From issue 98: Back To The Feature 1986: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap … You can probably adjust the availability to 10/10 for the games ;-)

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 4th Nov

Iss 98 done. Want an A4000 with 25MHz 040, 6 MB RAM and 540MB HD for £2699?! Silca Ad: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... 8&page=067 … .Upwards and onwards to iss 99
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I have been busy the past few days. ZzapRrap Twitter Account

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 6 Nov

Issue 99 done. It feels like the goal is in sight now!

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 7 Nov

Issue 100. Pull out of Zzap!64. I was disappointed by the shortness of it back in the day. Turn ur monitor 90degrees: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... azine=zzap

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 7 Nov

Another crazy Friday night in and issue 100 done! :)

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 7 Nov

ARGHH! Top 100 games article, Should I enter them? No ratings but der is text 4 each game so kinda reviews. Guess I will, but not tonight!

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 9 Nov

Phew, Top Ton entered ( http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... 01&page=20 ) . Best game goes to: Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Laser Squad at 2, Head Over Heels at 3.

Iain @ZZAPRRAP 9 Nov

Issue 101 done! Going for a lie down now after that! Here's a Bee 52 review for you: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/display ... 01&page=58