Zzap 64, ultimate re-mastering project.

Place your ads, auction links and requests in here
PeepoUK
Techno Teaboy

Zzap 64, ultimate re-mastering project.

Post by PeepoUK »

Hi all,
A friend and I have started compiling the ultimate re-master of Zzap 64 mags.
As such we are looking to purchase (or borrow) the entire collection of mags in some form or another.
If you have any to sell, please contact me with issues and prices.

We are particularly keen to get hold of Issue 1, which once complete can be "released" in beautiful quality for everybody to enjoy. :lol:

If somebody can allow us to borrow any issues for scanning, I can pay the postage costs both ways. (But please note the staples need to be removed to get the best possible scans).
I can give an example of the final quality if anybody would like to see that.

Many thanks!

Peepo
Iain
Admin

Re: Zzap 64, ultimate re-mastering project.

Post by Iain »

I'd be interested in seeing the quality you are planning to scan at. What's the resolution and DPI etc. you are doing them at?

DO you have an A3 scanner for the "widescreen" issues near the end, it would be great to see them without the "stitch" lines where they were joined when scanned with an A4 scanner.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Good luck with the project. Most of my issues are in poor shape from being read and re-read.
PeepoUK
Techno Teaboy

Post by PeepoUK »

Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies.
These are "the shizzle" :mrgreen:
Starting with 300 DPI tif files (Approx 30MB per scanned single page) which are kept as untouched in case we need to go back to the original scan for whatever reason. (Scanned on an A3 Epson GT-10000+ scanner).
Each page then goes through a multitude of fixes in Photoshop which makes them look fantastic (Better than the original in all cases imho).
That file is saved to Photoshop PSD format and then also saved as a .jpg with varying compression depending on the content of each page, but trust me, there is no noticeable quality loss with the compression settings we have decided upon.
Rather than show a sample now, we have decided it is best that we finish an entire issue. That will hopefully get people to possibly donate or sell mags that we are missing at a reasonable price. (If not, we'll get them eventually somehow - we're in this for the long haul!)
Current issue being processed is Issue 5 (We wish it was 1!!!)

Best wishes,

Peepo.
PeepoUK
Techno Teaboy

Post by PeepoUK »

Ah, what the hell - Please check out the sample and let us know what you think.
We thought it's better to get some early critique than spend days, weeks or months on something that people won't be happy with.
Fill yer boots and let us know what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg7d47y4vna66 ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Thanks!
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

I think it's safe to say that the sample looks quite nice!

Would love to see all ZZAP's preserved to this quality. Wish I could help with some issues, but I have none. Good luck though!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Wow, very impressive, especially the clean up of the cover. I assume the Photoshop clean up is done automatically? Although the logo on the cover looks manually done it's that good!

Not too sure about the clean up on the contents page though, it does make the outside of the boxes look a little sharp. As you said above, you are keeping the originals etc. anyway, so not a major problem.
PeepoUK
Techno Teaboy

Post by PeepoUK »

Not a huge amount of automation going on in Photoshop. Approx 2 hours manual work went into the cover alone.
The comments seem positive at least so we are good to continue with current settings.

13 page example here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy7rxa0q9fv65 ... 5.pdf?dl=0

Thanks.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

PeepoUK wrote:Not a huge amount of automation going on in Photoshop. Approx 2 hours manual work went into the cover alone.
Not too surprised to hear that. I assume you are spending way less on the other pages?

You don't want any part to take too long as it's too easy to loss interest in going on if it takes ages and ages to get through even one magazine :(

What issues do you have to hand currently?
PeepoUK
Techno Teaboy

Post by PeepoUK »

I have a few incoming and can't check exactly what I have at the moment. I'll post a list of what we have so far in the near future.

What needs to be remembered is that this isn't a "Get them all done as fast as possible" task. It's more a labour of love in the "I have a little time, I'll work on a few pages" sense. :D
Time is less an issue than getting source scans of all the mags.
Each Black/White/Greyscale page is averaging around 20 minutes processing.
At the end of the day, we both work full time and have families, and that unfortunately has to come first *Boooo!* :mrgreen:

I guess it's enjoy them as they come, and donate if at all possible. :D
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

That's looks pretty good :)

I have all the issues and in pretty good condition, but I can't help with the scanning sadly as they are all in binders!
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!