Imagine publishing 'buys' Zzap! and Crash

Everything else about Zzap
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Imagine publishing 'buys' Zzap! and Crash

Post by CraigGrannell »

On Twitter, Damian Butt (Imagine MD—Imagine being Retro Gamer's publisher) has announced "we now own the rights and copyright to classic UK games mags - Crash and Zzap!64". This has kicked off an… interesting thread on Facebook, regarding who actually owns what now, the implications for fan sites, and the complexity of liquidation in general (not least that Zzap! and Crash rights never fully got rolled into Europress anyway). Fun times ahead. One can only hope Imagine continues to support fan sites going forwards…
Iain
Admin

Re: Imagine publishing 'buys' Zzap! and Crash

Post by Iain »

Wow, this a big deal. I had assumed buying the rights wasn't really possible so nobdy seemed to know who owned what etc.

Let's hope it doesn't compicate things. At least it's not Future that got it anyway, that would be the end of this site...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

That Facebook link above doesn't work unless you are friends with either / and (dunno) Roger / Craig, but basically it's a conversation of wondering what they could own and what they definitely don't own etc. and how they got it.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

:(

Hopefully Imagine don't start throwing their weight around too much...
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

There goes Issue 108!

What?
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

andy vaisey wrote::(

Hopefully Imagine don't start throwing their weight around too much...

I can't see them stopping fan sites, the problem could be if Imagine start selling reprints...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Selling reprints would seem unlikely though. You would need all rights from so many different people / sources to do that legitimately, surely?

Even Future probably couldn't do that with their old magazines if rights reverted back to freelanchers etc.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Yep. Zzap!64 and Crash are from a different era, and I imagine any contracts were First British Serial Rights (versus today's 'we own whatever you write forever, mwahaha' equivalents), meaning even Newsfield wouldn't have been able to reprint content without permission, unless it was generated in-house. But reprints are murkier than that. From what Roger's been saying, full Zzap!64 rights never went to Europress anyway; the Europress liquidation report doesn't even refer to magazine titles; Crash was 'swapped' with an EMAP ST mag and EMAP was bought by Bauer; and Oli at no point ever assigned full copyright for any art to Newsfield, meaning he still owns full rights on all his art, unless it's been explicitly licensed or sold on somewhere else.

I can't imagine there'd be any value in reprints anyway. In fact, I can't see there's really any value in those brands, although 'Crash' would still be a fantastic name for a computing publication.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Interesting discussion going over on the Retro Gamer forum about this, although no new info as such:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 30774a2135
Terry93D
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Terry93D »

This is exceedingly interesting. And very murky on copyrights, too. I'm wondering what the aftereffects are going to be and what Imagine does with whatever bits of Crash and Zzap!64 they own. Actually, that terminology is quite good: Imagine owns bits of Crash and Zzap!64, seeing as the copyright issues are so... complex.