Anybody else modded their xbox for emulation?

Chat about emulation and retro in general
Mort
Director

Anybody else modded their xbox for emulation?

Post by Mort »

Recently got my Xbox modded for emulation purposes, Mame is X -cellent on it, and so is x-vice. I would recommend it if you would like to emulate using you 32 "tv which with an xbox arcade stick gives a good impression of using an arcade machine. 8)

Ps does anyone know of any good sites for download of xbox emu`s etc, found Hax box with is pretty good.I`ll check the address at home as its not on my work pc! :?
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Nyaaarghh! At last!
I'm only responding to this message because (IIRC) it's the first post in two (way too quiet) weeks! Thanx Mort, for the enlightenment. Phew!

Back to the subject:

I came across this site (thru' Gamebase64):

http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

Is that of any help?

Ta!
Rob
(cheers Mort, where you at BITlive 4/5? I didn't see no pix of you or Iain?)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Re: Anybody else modded their xbox for emulation?

Post by gordon »

Mort wrote:Recently got my Xbox modded for emulation purposes, Mame is X -cellent on it, and so is x-vice. I would recommend it if you would like to emulate using you 32 "tv which with an xbox arcade stick gives a good impression of using an arcade machine. 8)

Ps does anyone know of any good sites for download of xbox emu`s etc, found Hax box with is pretty good.I`ll check the address at home as its not on my work pc! :?
Hi Mort

Where/how did you get it done? And how much did it cost? The nearest to me that I know of is www.londonconsole.com, but they don't reply to my emails. I haven't even got an xbox yet -- been waiting for the price drop to £99 -- but I'll get it modded when I do, probably via my brother.

After that, it's a home emu machine! ;) (And the obligatory Halo, of course.)

g.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Jim If you go here
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/zysysh ... tlive4.htm
you should spot some photo`s of me and Iain looking pretty drunk at the Brighton Event/pubs surrounding it :D Thanks for the site, I will try to study it further later.

As for X-Box chipping it cost me £20 via a friend who does it in his spare time, plus the £75 for the 120g hd to replace the miniscule existing 8gb drive and £10 for 15m of network cable to connect it to the Pc, and believe me you soon fill up 120gb with mame and all the other goodies.
The x-box is currently running the ports of doom, quake 2, bomberman and worms, plus zsnes, Nester(nes), Stella (vcs) plus backups of all my xbox games from Hd which cuts load times plus saves me hunting around through my shelves for the original (still buy games though through play.co.uk as they are cheap enough at £15 eg the excellent project zero which I heartily recommend :wink: ).

Popping out to get another arcade stick for multiplayer games such as Bubble Bobble, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle on Mame and of course Combat on the Vcs :P

Lastly with the all singing and dancing media player I can play all mpg movies and also any region Dvd so all in all I would say its a good investment :lol:

Gordo I was going to get my Xbox done on the fly at Tottenham Court Road in London, the Wednesday electronics market has people doing them for £50, so that may be an option if your brother can`t do it.I think a few of the import shops do it on the quiet also. I really like my xbox now, its does all the things it should have done out of the box but microsoft were to stingy to include :?
Last edited by Mort on Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Excellent stuff. Sounds like you've got a great setup. And thanks for the tips about Tottenham Court Road and the bigger HD. I hadn't even thought of the latter... :roll: I was also looking to it as a DVD player since I haven't already got one, so the multi-region thing is nice.

Anyway, I think I'll get me one of those big buggers now (sorry, but I'm used to a Gamecube, which is so small it's ridiculous -- the XBox feels more like an oversized Nintendo64).

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Wow, this all sounds pretty nifty!
Yesterday, over here the Gamecube price dropped to € 99,- (that's 55 bps for you) so I thought about actually getting one (zelda!) But when I hear all this cool stuff about bigger harddisks, MAME & region free DVD it would probably be a better idea to get an Xbox (Gotham Racing 2, drool, drool)!

Anyway.
You should spot some photo`s of me and Iain looking pretty drunk at the Brighton Event/pubs
WOT!? What's all that "I'll be sipping on a lemonade together with you Biggestjim at Bitlive" thing, Iain? Hm? :wink:

Cheers guys!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

biggestjim wrote:Yesterday, over here the Gamecube price dropped to ? 99,- (that's 55 bps for you) so I thought about actually getting one (zelda!)
Zelda is a beautiful game -- not as hard as Ocarina of Time, but more complete somehow, and a *very* thoughtful ending. I'm also trawling the second-hand games shops over here and picking up some bargains for the Cube (Resident Evil for £4.99, Super Mario Sunshine for £10), so if you have something similar it's well worth buying one.

I'd recommend:
Zelda
Metroid Prime (a thinking man's FPS)
Animal Crossing
Zoocube (neat puzzler)
Super Monkey Ball (if you have friends ;))

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Being a retro git, I decided to get a DC now it's, erm, retro (honest). Some very nice games, and hard to see why it did so badly. Rez, in particular, kept me busy for ages - it seems like the game Minter would have loved to have made.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Indeed, Craig.
A DC is excellent!
To me still a PS2-beater nowadays.
I just installed my ferrari steering wheel & pedals for MSR, even my wife digs it! (at last :D )
Virtua Tennis & Crazy Taxi are unbeatable too.
Have fun!
Ta!
Rob
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I also have a decent dc setup, I particularly like playing Ferrrari f355 with the steering wheel setup and my fave shootem up at the moment is Zero Gunner 2, absolutely stunning (even better than Ikaragu!).Rez also rules the Dc setup bigtime.

Having a few days away from the X-box as I am in Derbyshire staying at a m8`s, getting that weird stuff called fresh air :wink:
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

Im baffled... where the hell do you UGLY Poms find the time to do all this gaming?
Is that what you do for WORK?
Are you lot amphetamine addicts?

Its the same sort of question as>> How does the unemployed afford to buy a pack of cigaretts a day?

( Dont even try to deny the UGLY Poms comment because I checked out the DRUNKEN NERD photos via that link that Mort provided )
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hey, who's calling me a POM!? :D
Check out my avatar and you can easily see that I'm the best looking git on the board! :wink:
Ni!
Rob
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

A statement like that really is "Dutch courage". ;)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Well, unfortunately "Dutch courage" doesn't have anything to do with our kind of football anymore! Come on Scotland!

(subtle change of subject part 1) :wink:
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Mort wrote:I also have a decent dc setup, I particularly like playing Ferrrari f355 with the steering wheel setup and my fave shootem up at the moment is Zero Gunner 2, absolutely stunning (even better than Ikaragu!).Rez also rules the Dc setup bigtime.
I've got F355 coming from someone on eBay, and am slowly sorting through all the games, selling all the ones I dislike and keeping all the ones I do! :)

Rez, Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis seem to be getting most of my attention at the moment, although VT gets bloody hard at level 3.