Reset Magazine Zzap! Themed Issue Out Now!

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Reset Magazine Zzap! Themed Issue Out Now!

Post by Iain »

Reset #07 has been released and is downloadable now. The issue pays tribute to Zzap!64 and features stunning original cover art by Anthony Stiller, paying homage to the Zzap No.1 Elite cover by legendary artist Oliver Frey. Inside there are some special guest appearances from ex-Zzap writers and characters, tribute articles, and a feature article about the C64 version of Elite by Anthony Olver of Elite Archives (C64 Elite also celebrates its 30th anniversary and was reviewed in Zzap No.1).

As well as all of this, there are also many of the usual columns returning and game reviews including Ghosts 'n Goblins Arcade and Jam It.

The Mix-i-disk contains two brand new and exclusive games: Pixel Pix by Simon Quernhorst and a new SEUCK'er by Alf Yngve called Big Mech Alpha. The disk also includes two full commercial games – Darkness by RGCD/Psytronik, and Phase Out V1.4 by inc-x as well as the winner of the 2015 SEUCK competition, the fully enhanced Abyssonaut by Anthony Stiller.

To top things off nicely, Richard Bayliss has contributed the brand new Reset #07 intro, featuring a cool old-school vibe! We hope you enjoy the issue!

Download Zzap! themed issue (7)

[Above text via the magazine editor]
Iain
Admin

Re: Reset Magazine Zzap! Themed Issue Out Now!

Post by Iain »

Reading through it now.

A great editorial Unkle K! A good mixture of nostalgia and fact.

I liked the following part of it:
With each new era the magazine entered, it changed to reflect its readership and the Commodore gaming market as a whole. For long time readers this may have been off-putting, particularly near the end of its run, but it was necessary for it to remain viable.
Sad but really unfortunately true. The early text heavy issues probably wouldn't have suited the much younger later readership.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I've just read the Memories of Zzap article by Andrew.

A really good read and great to get the viewpoints of people from the different eras of the magazine.

Interesting bit from Phil King:
I have to admit I preferred our separate magazine office to the open-plan layout when we moved to Case Mill - or Stalag ZZAP!, as we called it.
Certainly seems like a good way to kill a culture of a magazine to make it open plan with everybody else. I guess this is around the time when everyone and their dog seemed to have a go at writing reviews for Zzap! :(
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Finished reading it now.

A fantastic way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Many great Zzap! related articles.

Dare a say it, apart from the design, it feels very like a Zzap issue 108. :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

And so Professor Brian Strain makes a comeback... :wink:

LOL, and this is post 666 on this forum :twisted:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Professor Brian Strain wrote: And so Professor Brian Strain makes a comeback... :wink:
He didn't get very technical though. ;-)
Professor Brian Strain wrote:LOL, and this is post 666 on this forum :twisted:
Where do you see that? The post count for this forum (Announcements) is 1114 according to the front page. I think an exorcism might be called for!

[edit]Ah I see, post 666 from you on this forum! A exorcism is probably still called for though anyway![/edit]
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Not all of my Zzap!Back article made it into the final issue... I suspect the rest may appear next issue, and then perhaps Paul and myself might think about doing a few each month down the line heh.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Would be a nice feature to keep up!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Well, I have to say how much I enjoyed that. Even though I was part if it, it's a fantastic issue and a great read.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Iain wrote:Would be a nice feature to keep up!
Yeah, we've talked about it. He was a bit surprised to see how harsh I was compared to him heh. Maybe we'll cover games like Delta and Pirates down the line, two games that always invite debate heh.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mayhem wrote:
Iain wrote:Would be a nice feature to keep up!
Yeah, we've talked about it. He was a bit surprised to see how harsh I was compared to him heh. Maybe we'll cover games like Delta and Pirates down the line, two games that always invite debate heh.
Heh, Delta was 'zzapbacked' in the DEF tribute, and Pirates! in the extended Def tribute (By you, PaulE and Ant - maybe you want to use some quotes? :)

Here's a link to the extended Def Tribute Zzapback reviews, I think they got lost on the internet... can't even recall if the extra pages were printed in Retro Gamer later on?? Anyway...

http://we.tl/NFTWOYm7cP

Cheers, you lot!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:Reset #07 has been released and is downloadable now. The issue pays tribute to Zzap!64 and features stunning original cover art by Anthony Stiller, paying homage to the Zzap No.1 Elite cover by legendary artist Oliver Frey. Inside there are some special guest appearances from ex-Zzap writers and characters, tribute articles, and a feature article about the C64 version of Elite by Anthony Olver of Elite Archives (C64 Elite also celebrates its 30th anniversary and was reviewed in Zzap No.1).

As well as all of this, there are also many of the usual columns returning and game reviews including Ghosts 'n Goblins Arcade and Jam It.

The Mix-i-disk contains two brand new and exclusive games: Pixel Pix by Simon Quernhorst and a new SEUCK'er by Alf Yngve called Big Mech Alpha. The disk also includes two full commercial games – Darkness by RGCD/Psytronik, and Phase Out V1.4 by inc-x as well as the winner of the 2015 SEUCK competition, the fully enhanced Abyssonaut by Anthony Stiller.

To top things off nicely, Richard Bayliss has contributed the brand new Reset #07 intro, featuring a cool old-school vibe! We hope you enjoy the issue!

Download Zzap! themed issue (7)

[Above text via the magazine editor]
Very nice work from everybody involved - thx!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Lloyd Mangram wrote:Heh, Delta was 'zzapbacked' in the DEF tribute, and Pirates! in the extended Def tribute (By you, PaulE and Ant - maybe you want to use some quotes? :)
Yeah, Paul mentioned that we'd done them (and a couple others) for the DEF Tribute after I suggested it, although I had that niggling feeling the Pirates review hadn't made it to the printed version (which turns out was correct).

But there's half an article left to print in issue #8 so we don't have to think about things for months yet. He suggested Terra Cresta, he must like it heh.