Welcome to the new Message Board!

News related to the site

What do you think of the new message system?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:05 pm

Brilliant, much better than the old one
100%
Good, more features etc.
No votes
Crap, bring back the old one!
No votes

Total votes: 5

Iain
Admin

Welcome to the new Message Board!

Post by Iain »

I just discovered that phpBB was open source last night so I decided to convert the site to use this system instead of the old, feature-light UBB free version.

I set up a few different forums for zzap related and c64 related stuff. Tell me if you have suggestions for any other forums or just feedback in general!
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

Absolutely brilliant, iain. It made me finally decide to register (at last!, as I began visiting this site in november 2001).

I think this site has improved a lot over the past few months: congrats (I especially like a lot the new bible)!

And I'm glad to see the oldest issue I own (27) finally online. When are the Gordon era issues going to be there (I know, I know about all those problems)?

Thumbs up!
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Glad you like the improvements! It's good to get some positive feedback, gives me a bit more enthusiasm to do even more. I'm especially glad you like the updatyed Zzapbible since I feel that's almost the best part of the site, especially since you can link to the reviews themselves (if they are online!)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I think it's a really great improvement on the old one (which I liked anyway -- but I *love* these php bulletin boards). Let's hope we can get a few people here chatting away about Zzap! and the old times.

A suggestion and a question:

-- it might help to have a general message area, where people can post what they like about whatever they like; this might attract people to keep coming back.

-- Can we have avatars? I've got one ready and waiting.

g.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeap[, an idle banter section is on the cards.

I need a more general zzap area as well I think. If the areas are too specific people may not know where to post what.

Yeap, avatars are on their way too. I wonder if phpBB comes with some or do I let users just upload them?

I hope you're going to use your zzap one! :)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:Yeap, avatars are on their way too. I wonder if phpBB comes with some or do I let users just upload them?
Dunno -- Lemon had some people could use, didn't he? And you could also upload your own, which is something I've done over at the Llamasoft Forum: http://smokey.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/~l ... /index.php

Personally, I'd prefer to upload my own -- either the skeleton avatar I use at Llamasoft, or the one you suggested might be nice :)

g.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Good stuff, Iain. I think you've pretty much got the forum areas spot on. Don't want to have too many otherwise everyone gets confused.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

How about merging the "General" and Zzap! Related" Forums in the Zzap!64 section under the one title of "General"? I'm not sure I'd know which one to post messages in if I had something general to say. (Not that I ever have anything much to say at the best of times.)

g.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeah I can see how the two might be a bit confusing. I mean "Zzap related" as to something that happened outside of Zzap's pages but had to do with Zzap, it's a bit ambiguous so I think I'll carry out your suggestion!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

congrats!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Excellent Iain!
Absolutely fantastic, wow!

Argh, let me see if my avatar is any good ;)

Ta!
Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Hey Biggest Jim! Havn't seen you about for ages, guess you must still be lurking around!

I may be calling on for to do some ocring and putting reviews in a database. I should still have the one you submitted..... oh about a year ago now? :)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

still alive!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Indeed Iain, it's been a while.

I've sent a pretty cool rraplogo to your mailbox, so go out and check it! Hope you like it.
And I'm ready, willing and able to do another ZZAP!
I'll get in touch with you for the HTML reviews, did you manage to "convince" (hopefully not phisically) Dimitris to donate his html's to the zzapsite? I'd like to know before I start to type in 'doubles'.
Hope you find a job soon, succes!

(btw, where's Mort hanging out lately?)
Ta!
Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Interesting, a one man band Zzapback, nice design too! :)

Ye! Dimitris is allowing me to use the text from his reviews, which is great, since it would be a waste if I had to redo his work.

I'll still got to sort them out but when you have time to do a review of two, let me know and I'll tell you if he's done it already...or you could just go to www.gamebase64.com and check whether it's there yourself!! :) He's doing them in order from issue one onwards IIRC
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Iain,
By the way can you recommend any good sources of info on phpBB? I've toyed with the idea of setting up a mastertronic one on my site for a while now (the ancient FrontPage one falls over yearly when it gets too full!) and was wondering how much of a challenge that would be?
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Just head over to ww.phpbb.org or .com I believe.

It's quite easy to set up, but you need to have a web account that allows the php language and also has access to a database, mine has mySQL but I think the board works with a couple of others.

Let me know if you need more specific help.