Joysticks- aint what they used to be

Chat about emulation and retro in general
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

I believe ANCO closed down this year when the owner died. I didn't realise they sold joysticks lately though?
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Thats bad news :(

The were selling the microswitched joysticks as a sideline to go with their Kick Off 2002 on the pc.
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Well, I'm not sure but there was another company involved called floodlight software (a spinoff company?) that i think is still running so maybe they have the stock?

Hopefully google will have the answer!

[Edit] Just realised it's "floodlit" software
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

I recently purchaced a GBA sp and found it a little awkward to hold onto until I got the attachments bundle with, radio, earphones ( and adapter ) etc etc... The part that the gba sp clips onto that gives the gba an erganomic feel is great . ( almost like holding a playstation controller ) Although it would have been nice to have more acsess to the L and R buttons >> Im NOT complaining>> :) ILL get used to it..

PS>> another thing >>> You cant have earphnes pluged in whilst using this attachment if you are using earphones adapter

Anyone know wether or not they sell earphones with the right connection for SP ?
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

By the way, while on the subject of joysticks does anyone recall that one released in about 86 that was shaped like a grenade with a little joystick on the top forming the 'pin'?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yep! Wasn't it called 'terminator' or 'exterminator' or something?
IIRC the Zzap joystick test (which issue??) tested it as total rubbish.

Surely a gimmick, but how could anybody feel comfortable holding a grenade in his hands for more then a few seconds, wiggling the pin like crazy? :D

Not one for decathlon eiher me thinx.
(Yes Craig, I do LIKE decathlon :wink: )

ROb
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Ah so that's it - a google search seemed to confirm it was the Terminator.

Yes I can well imagine it's pretty poor, I remember seeing one at my local game shop and thinking how impracticable it was. For some reason as the years have passed though I decided I really want one! (and ideally in the tube I recall it came in - or maybe that's hoping for too much?)

Thanks again, knowing the name at least should make my quest easier :)
OOZ
Techno Teaboy

Post by OOZ »

In my opinion, there is only ONE joystick that has been any good in the history of all joysticks. I must of had 8 or 9 of them over the 64ing years...

And that joystick, which has hardly had a mention?

The great, the legendary, origional Atari Joystick. If only they could develop one now for the pc...sigh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Who's up for a Zzap challenge?
English_Bloke
Techno Teaboy

Post by English_Bloke »

zipstick all the way for me :)
brian_dead
Freelancer

Post by brian_dead »

what was that realy weird shaped joystick with a handle at the bottom with the fire button on it like a trigger and a little stick on top? was it a navigator?

i had a couple of quickshot 2's, i thought they were good at the time but now i realise they wernt. :P
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

brian_dead wrote:what was that realy weird shaped joystick with a handle at the bottom with the fire button on it like a trigger and a little stick on top? was it a navigator?

i had a couple of quickshot 2's, i thought they were good at the time but now i realise they wernt. :P
Yep, Konix Navigator, one magazine printed the picture upside down...

I must admit, I'm a big fan of joypads these days. And I've just got a Competition Pro USB for my PC. Sorted!
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Wow the new issue of Retro with ZZap64 has really made me remeber my 64, so I now have vice etc etc, just bought a Speed King joystick on eBay! (in as new condition!) Cool! but like some of you I need to connect it to my PC, I cannot find and reasonable priced interface's, any thoughts or ideas to help me? I'd ideally prefer to build my own, but not destroy the joystick/cable etc (like in a previous post)
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Info for all really - i just built a parallel port to 2 joystick converter, parts cost me £6 inc cables from Maplins.

Just tested it with ppjoy and it works really well with any Atari 2600 type joysticks (inlcuding me speedking which arrived today!)

WinVice 64 runs really well with this setup - im happy! The adapter was so easy to build and is offically listed as the "Amiga 4 player joystick adapter"

Pic here : http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1030 ... ing8pb.jpg
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Could you post how you did it, or even better make me one and I`ll send you a dvd as payment, I would love to be able to use my old 2600 joysticks again, drop me a line as if these are good we could possibly sell them on the site :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Notice your in kent, me too (Maidstone)! Im off to work now, but I could knock up a tutorial in the next day.

What sort of DVD?