Best selling game EVER!

Everything else C64 related
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Best selling game EVER!

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I was looking on a website the other day for information about the Tex Murphy series of games ( great by the way ) when I came accross an article saying that adventure games will no longer be produced by certain software houses as they are no longer big sellers. However, the article then mentioned that this is strange as the 2 biggest selling games of all time were both adventures games, alas, it did not mention which ones. This got me thinking though.........I was always under the impression that Ghostbusters by Activision was the biggest selling game of all time. I was wondering if anyone has any sales figures and if they know which the best selling games were of all time or for certain formats - was International Soccer the biggest for the C64?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

System 3 reckon Last Ninja was the best-selling C64 game.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I remember Robocop being in the charts for bloody ages and ages...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Are we talking of literally selling?
If giving away also counts, then it almost must be International Soccer.
Commodore gave it practically away with every c64 & 128. Millions & millions.

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Yep I had my 'free' International Soccer on cart - good for playing on the C64 at school in the breaks with its instant load.

Not a game as such but I bet that Soft Aid compilation must have shifted a fair few units? £5! what a bargain
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Please tell me I am not imagining this....Wasn't there a hack of 'International Soccer' with the players in wheelchairs?! :?

Wasn't 'Ghostbusters' supposed to be the top-selling 8-bit game (across multi-formats)?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Wasn't there a hack of 'International Soccer' with the players in wheelchairs?!
Yes, there was!
Read a hilarious review of IS & a mention+pictures from the wheelchair version over here:

http://www.gamebase64.com/oldsite/gotw_intsoccer.htm
Wasn't 'Ghostbusters' supposed to be the top-selling 8-bit game (across multi-formats)?
Mm, I do remember something similar. If it's correct, it does say a lot about the general game buying public, unfortunately.

pum-pum-dubbadub-DA-DA
pum-pum-dubbadub-DA-DA
teedeleedeeteedee
dee-dee-dee-dee-Dee-DEE
teedeleedeeteedee
dee-dee-dee-dee-Dee-DEE
etc.

Nyaagh!
ROb
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Yes I never did like 'GhostBusters' - the game AND the film!
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Ghostbusters was cack - but it was still better than Ghostbusters 2. Remember that game - 3 levels - WOW! I just remember that first part where your dangling from that wire down the sewer - it was dire!

I think Robocop would be up there as it sold another mega amount when it was re-released on budget. Can you remember C&VG having their charts in the centre pages? Robocop was top of the all formats chart for yonks. The Simpsons was another.........
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

My mate sent this to me from an article published on Gamespot:

The Sims is best selling computer game ever
March 25 - 11:55 ET Electronic Arts has announced that its virtual life game, The Sims, has sold more than 6.3 million copies worldwide, surpassing the 1993 adventure game Myst as the best selling computer game of all time, according to GameSpot. The Sims and its three expansion packs have combined sales of over 13 million units. The latest expansion pack, The Sims: Hot Date, is scheduled to be released later this spring for Mac OS 8/9 and Mac OS X.

So that sort of sums up what the best selling game ( and second ) of all time is. But it would be interesting to know what the C64 game which sold the most is