Issue 108 - who wants to work on Zzap! #108

Everything else about Zzap
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I had/have this feeling that MW3 was 'slightly' overrated, wasn't it?
But then, what wasn't overrated in issue 107?
Even 'Blood'! :D
Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

There was one major "editorial decision" regarding ratings, but that was Samber, which I thought rather drastically under-rated initially. The ed team decided to boost said rating slightly (although it still got a fairly low one IIRC).

I thought most of the other ratings were about right, especially when you consider the price of many of the games being, erm, nothing. I'm sure if MW3 had come out on budget near the end of the Zzap!/CF run (or, for that matter, the end of the Commodore Format run), it would have scored highly.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Yeah, I don't think MW3 was overrated. My personal rating for it was 89%, and it got 90%, and I definitely wouldn't argue over 1%. I still think it's a very good C64 game.

I didn't like Ice Guys as much as the other reviewers, but then, that's why you have three reviewers. I think most games were pretty fairly rated overall.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

It's all a matter of taste. I didn't play all the games for z107 - after all, I didn't do any reviewing - but I was surprised Ice Guys didn't sizzle, as I thought it was great.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

biggestjim wrote:I had/have this feeling that MW3 was 'slightly' overrated, wasn't it?
But then, what wasn't overrated in issue 107?
Even 'Blood'! :D
Ta!
Rob
I'm more than happy with the final MW3 score. It really was an excellent game (I thoroughly enjoyed helping do the review for it) even when you ignore the fact that it's a labour of love and is (as Craig mentioned) free.

I do see your point though, I think ... maybe even Blood got a point or two more than it truly deserved. :) Hey, maybe that can be one of our Zzap! Challenge games for 108! :P
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
lisawolf
Techno Teaboy

Post by lisawolf »

I'd love to help out if you still need people. Of course I may just end up being the tea lady with my skills :).
If you need any help in editing, or reviews I'd probably be most useful there. Unfortunately I haven't had my finger on the C64 pulse for a while (I only just heard about CommodoreOne!) so my suggestions are limited to lame "where are they now?" ideas.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Would you like to introduce yourself - favourite games etc?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, lisawolf, I don't know your level with regards to editing, but I'm sure Gordo and Paul would agree with me that another sub-editor would be a very welcome addition...
lisawolf
Techno Teaboy

Post by lisawolf »

LeeT wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)

Would you like to introduce yourself - favourite games etc?
Ok, RL has released me again. I'm back :)

Well I'm an Aussie and grew up with the C64 through my High-school years. The games I played to death were: Elite, Impossible Mission, Loderunner, Mercenary, Ultima IV, Iridis Alpha and a few others. I seem to like a wide variety of games, as long as they're my kind of quality.
lisawolf
Techno Teaboy

Post by lisawolf »

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, lisawolf, I don't know your level with regards to editing, but I'm sure Gordo and Paul would agree with me that another sub-editor would be a very welcome addition...
Well I once sub-edited a school newsletter back in 1985. I've helped others out with resume's, stories, articles and the like, but that's always been unofficially. As you can see, my list of accomplishments is quite long. But I'm willing to give it a go. (If RL will let me be more often)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

lisawolf wrote:Well I'm an Aussie and grew up with the C64 through my High-school years. The games I played to death were: Elite, Impossible Mission, Loderunner, Mercenary, Ultima IV, Iridis Alpha and a few others. I seem to like a wide variety of games, as long as they're my kind of quality.
You had me at "Well I'm an Aussie ..."

Hey, didn't I just reply to you over at the Yak Forums?
:D
Auntie Slag
Techno Teaboy

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ooh, I'd like to do the favourite games bit as well!

Hi my name is Auntie Slag. I registered late last year, around October I think. I acquired my Commodore 64 back in '86 I think, when my older sister's then boyfriend gave it to me. I didn't have any clue as to the value of the machine in that day and age, but its obvious now he was trying to score big points with my sister, if not on the copy of Hunchback II, Cosmic Convoy & David Crane's joystick busting Decathlon that came with it.

My favourite games were (in no particular order)

- Who Dares Wins II
- California Games
- Bruce Lee
- Super Cycle
- IK+
- Barbarian
- Grand Prix Simulator & Super Sprint (had a thing for tiny little cars buzzing around on screen, like mini scalectrix)
- Slap Fight
- Bionic Commando
- Kane, and to a lesser extent Kane 2
- Out Run (I thought it was the business even if no-one else did. It was the big blockbuster hollywood crap of its time, games wise)
- Ballcrazy
- Deflector (loved the title screen music too)

There's probaby loads more, but I'm having trouble racking my brains about games I used to play 15 years ago. Not many of these games are high scorers in Zzap, but they got me with a certain charm.

I moved onto an Amiga in '89, then there was a big gap before finally getting a Mac in 2001. I did get a second hand SNES in '98 for £20 with two joypads and a copy of MarioWorld, and that machine was great fun.
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

Auntie Slag wrote:Ooh, I'd like to do the favourite games bit as well!

Hi my name is Auntie Slag.
Hi Auntie (and hi lisawolf, too), I'm SLF.

My favourite c64 games are
1. Creatures II [...]
(never miss the opportunity to write down your fave games chart, I say :P )
CraigGrannell wrote:
SLF wrote:... now that I think about it... Wasn't all that a bit Off Topic? :wink:
Well, unless Clyde Radcliffe wants to work on z108, then yes... C'mon chaps - keep the OT banter for the other forums.
OK, edited now, and apologies.
Last edited by SLF on Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

SLF wrote:... now that I think about it... Wasn't all that a bit Off Topic? :wink:
Well, unless Clyde Radcliffe wants to work on z108, then yes... C'mon chaps - keep the OT banter for the other forums.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, unless Clyde Radcliffe wants to work on z108, then yes... C'mon chaps - keep the OT banter for the other forums.
Good point, Craig. My apologies.

Back to the subject at hand. We're now in 2004 ... if we're going to make 108 happen I'm guessing things will have to be set in motion pretty soon. Do we have our 108 crew yet and is it time yet to move the brain-trust of 108 into its secret, underground lair?