CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Issue 108 P - Feature list for z108

Post by CraigGrannell »

Initial article list ideas for z108, with provisional writers:

** Editorial (0.5pg, Gazunta)

** Contents (0.5pg, Gordon/Gazunta)

** News (2pg, ???)

** Zzapback! (2pg, Paul G/Robb H/Gordon)
I reckon we should use a combination of issues here, so we can discuss Wizball. We did #24 last time, so I suggest using #25 to #27, with the following games:

Into The Eagle's Nest (#25, 90%)
Zenji (#26, 91%)
Zolyx (#26, 90%)
Wizball (#27, 96%)
World Class Leaderboard (#27, 94%)

In #25, Impossible Mission got 95%, but that was a past blaster, and Hollywood Hijinx Sizzled, but adventures were rarely covered in this column - the same therefore goes for Bureaucracy in #27. Super Sunday was also not a standard review, so we can ignore that. IIRC, we only had space for four games last time, so one of the above might have to go.

** Reviews (??pg, various)
Get some of the previous team involved, but include Gordon this time round. I'd actually be interested in reviewing, too, but I guess it might be unfair to kick off too many of the original team.

** Tips (2pg, Waz)

** Games that weren't (2pg, Frank Gasking)
Could include a side-bar, interviewing the Armalyte guys.

** Scorelord (1pg, Gordon)

** Rrap (2pg, Gordon/Gazunta)

** White Wizard (??, ???)
Who did this last time? His writing was good, and it would be useful to have two pages for this.

** Outro (??, Gordon)
This is filler and depends on available space.

** Online (1pg, Craig)
Web sites, etc.

** Previews (1pg, Gazunta?)

** C64 remix CDs? (1pg?, Craig?)

And that's my lot for now. Add thoughts, additions and removals below.
gordon
Director

Re: Feature list for z108

Post by gordon »

btw, just how many pages are we having for the final issue? 32? 50?
CraigGrannell wrote:** Zzapback! (2pg, Paul G/Robb H/Gordon)
I reckon we should use a combination of issues here, so we can discuss Wizball. We did #24 last time, so I suggest using #25 to #27, with the following games:

Into The Eagle's Nest (#25, 90%)
Zenji (#26, 91%)
Zolyx (#26, 90%)
Wizball (#27, 96%)
World Class Leaderboard (#27, 94%)

In #25, Impossible Mission got 95%, but that was a past blaster, and Hollywood Hijinx Sizzled, but adventures were rarely covered in this column - the same therefore goes for Bureaucracy in #27. Super Sunday was also not a standard review, so we can ignore that. IIRC, we only had space for four games last time, so one of the above might have to go.
Agreed: this seems a sound approach, to combine the issues. Since there's only space for four, it might be sensible to drop one of the two puzzle games (much as I hate to, since I still like them both), otherwise the comments might repeat themselves: "puzzlers stand the test of time", "graphics aren't great, but..." etc. Into the Eagle's Nest is a good one, so are Wizball and Leaderboard (I've just been playing Tiger Woods on the XBox, and essentially not a lot has changed from back then :) ).

So, how about dropping Zolyx? I think Zenji's the better and more original game.
** Contents (0.5pg, Gordon/Gazunta)
So, Gaz, do you want to do this? If not, I'm happy to do it. Presumably the editorial will appear here again, too.
** Reviews (??pg, various) Get some of the previous team involved, but include Gordon this time round. I'd actually be interested in reviewing, too, but I guess it might be unfair to kick off too many of the original team.
Once we find out how many reviews there are, we should settle on a reviewing team. If there aren't as many as last time, we'll have to cut. From my perspective, it'd be nice to have as many people involved as possible, like before; but we'll see when we get the final review count.
** Games that weren't (2pg, Frank Gasking)
Could include a side-bar, interviewing the Armalyte guys.
I really like the idea of this: it's always coming up on discussion boards.
** Scorelord (1pg, Gordon)
There've been a few changes since last time, and the intro is easy to write for a psychopath like me, so this shouldn't be too much hassle. I'll just dump the text from my site again.
** Rrap (2pg, Gordon/Gazunta)
I'm happy to let you do this, Gaz: it's traditionally the editor's job. But if you feel you've got too much workload already, hand it on to me. Let me know either way.
** White Wizard (??, ???)Who did this last time? His writing was good, and it would be useful to have two pages for this.
Craig Hesmondhalgh was his name, adventuring was his game. Buggered if I have an email for him though.
** Outro (??, Gordon)
This is filler and depends on available space.

Fair enough. We should have a biographical list of contribs, though, even if it's only a one-page job this time.

A couple of other ideas:

1. WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
You can have my Where are they now? [ex-Zzapers, that is] online page in the mag, too -- it's pretty much up to date, and is another question that's often asked. If we're thinking of more pages than last time, that'd be an easy filler.

2. And, er... if we need some more we could trawl the topic in the public 108 thread. ;)

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

How about the C64 remixers' ball - akin to the musicians' ball, but with current C64 remixers (Chris A, Lagerfeldt, PPOT, etc)?
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Why didn't I read this thread before just posting now in the 'welcome' one?

Sigh.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I dunno - these editors just don't have a clue sometimes! :)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

One of the other ideas that was bandied around was including a Developer Diary. I approached one of the Lemon forum posters who was working on a platformer at the time and I hinted that we may (stress may) be looking for a Dev Diary for 108.

He was keen to help out -- I liked what he'd currently written in his diary (whimsical and technical at the same time, it actually reminded me a little of Martin Walker's Citadel diary). I've got his contact deals somewhere on another machine if we need 'em.

So that's an option if we have space and he actually finishes the thing. I'd love to see a Diary in 108 (they were one of my favourite things in Zzap!) but we'll see how we go.

Another idea that I had, and I approached Gaz about this what seems like eons ago, was to include a poster in 108. Those sketches of the Zzap! covers I've been posting up were actually done for a purpose ie can I possibly draw something that could pass for an Oli painting (in a very dimly lit room)?

I realise space is at a premium but this is something I'd love to try purely for my own enjoyment and challenge. If it couldn't be squeezed into a printed version would it be possible to include it as an extra digital tid-bit with the megatape? Assuming of course I actually do the thing and it turns out not crap.

Well, that's all I have for now. Maybe it's just me but I'm actually getting excited about 108 already. Or it could be 800g of lollies I just ate.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Ant wrote:One of the other ideas that was bandied around was including a Developer Diary. I approached one of the Lemon forum posters who was working on a platformer at the time and I hinted that we may (stress may) be looking for a Dev Diary for 108.
Ah, yes, I remember liking this when you suggested it first time round. I think it's a great idea -- so how about it, C&G? If he could cram it into two pages that would cut down on his work and make it nice and readable. It would also be ideal if we could get his game in for review.
Another idea that I had, and I approached Gaz about this what seems like eons ago, was to include a poster in 108.
Another good one, but as you say it depends on space; but I see no reason why it couldn't go on the "megatape" if we can't put it in the mag. Then again, the whole point of a poster is you can rip it free from the staples and stick it on your wall. :?

g.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Game diaries were one of my favourite bits from zzap as well, so I think it has to go in issue 108. a quick fix of two pages would be great, like they did in later issues of Commodore Force (e.g. Lemmings and Batman Returns.)

How about a couple of short reviews of some of the C64 remix CDs and definitely a review of PPOT!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Diary of a game sounds good, but two pages only.

The poster... erm, I'm not sure about this one. After all, it won't be Oli, and most people are likely to go for the digital version of the mag.

Remix CDs: I'd thought about this one before, and it's a possibility. Mind you, I've just written a load on this sort of thing for Pixelsugeon (although they've still not put it online).
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

AND OF COURSE...

A final Zzap challenge, as discussed in the public forum a while back. I guess we could squeeze it into 2 pages with only a small photo or two?
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Hello :)

OK, it looks like it's taking shape. Yay!

A developer diary would be most welcome. How far along is the game coming? If it's close to completion, awesome. (that way we can start the diary when it was just being started, and end near its completion...)

Gordon - Being posessed by the spirit of Lloyd would be awesome, so I'll take Rrap. :) But yes, please take the contents.

+1 vote for the poster...in any way shape or form.

Games that weren't is a must have. As are reviews of the games he's dug up...Solar Jetman is a big coup.

When I get home I'll look up Crah Hesmodakljdsfjks's email addy, and ask him if he wants to put on the robes once again...

Please please let's do where are they now...how about we do one for the top prgrammers / music guys / artists as well? Or at least the ones still working in the games biz...

Zzap Challenge, I think, is a must. Maybe the UK match can be held at Retrovision or something?

- gaz
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

:: Gordon - Being posessed by the spirit of Lloyd would be awesome,
:: so I'll take Rrap. :)

Why don't you both do it, rather like Gaz and Jaz did in the old days?

:: +1 vote for the poster...in any way shape or form.

-1 vote from here. Reworking a piece of Oli art to look good is really fucking hard at A4 - at A3 it would simply take too long to bother with. And, to be frank, I don't really want anyone else's art there, regardless of the quality, because it's simply not Zzap!

:: Solar Jetman is a big coup.

Solar Jetman should be reviewed IMO.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote::: Gordon - Being posessed by the spirit of Lloyd would be awesome,
:: so I'll take Rrap. :)

Why don't you both do it, rather like Gaz and Jaz did in the old days?::
I don't mind either way. If Gaz has too much work on, I'll pick up the slack on the Rrap; if not, I'll stick to the Scorelord, Contents, Zzapback and (Outro), with one or two of the reviews/comments.

Solar Jetman has now been added to the definites in the reviews list. :)

g.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

CraigGrannell wrote:-1 vote from here. Reworking a piece of Oli art to look good is really fucking hard at A4 - at A3 it would simply take too long to bother with. And, to be frank, I don't really want anyone else's art there, regardless of the quality, because it's simply not Zzap!
That's a fair cop. I'm happy to let the poster idea sit on the cutting room floor (possible poor analogy alert!).
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

What we probably could do with this time are some more spot illos throughout, so maybe you could do that, rather than a poster?