Game Cover Art

Everything else C64 related
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Game Cover Art

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Whilst flicking thru a few old mags the other day, something came to me......just how appaling was some of the artwork for games that we saw advertised in the mags???

Of course there was Wakelin who did the superb Ocean / Imagine artwork - and come on - we all looked for his signiture or Wako in the artwork - well I did anyway!!

But the majority are so bad and would never get off the ground today - they really do look like they have been drawn by children. I saw one in CU for a game called Germ Crazy - boy this has to rank as one of the work I have EVER seen - Stevie Wonder could draw better.......with one hand tied behind his back. Honest!

And did you ever notice that some games looked sooooooo cool on the ad's, but the majority of them were cack?

It just got me thinking ( sorry if this topic has been covered before ) about which are the best ( and worst ) cover art for games that people have seen. I'll have to have a look thru my collection again, but from the top of my head I always thought the Jet Set Willy cover was ace and pretty memorable too - sticking his head down the toilet!

What do you lot reckon?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Oli Frey's work. Nice.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

@ Wakelin:
made some very nice ads.
But remember Ocean's 'It's a knock out'? Drab game, drab ad.
'Where time stood still' and 'Renegade' and the likes weren't that good either. Loved 'Hyper Sports' and 'Mikie' though.

@Oli:
what a bunch of wonderful atmospheric stuff he did.
But, lots of times he crossed the line as well.
All too easy on the gore, snakes & dragons side of things.
Especially in the 90's he drew some laughable bad & over the top violent stuff (end of Zzap, Sega/Nintendo Force etc.)

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.