Issue 108 - who wants to work on Zzap! #108

Everything else about Zzap
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Gaz is in the house.

Can we quote you on the "editor as stress-relief" thing when we're at crunch-time and you're an exploding ball of stress? :twisted:
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I never thought I'd see "stress relief" and "editor" in the same sentence - well, not unless the sentence was "being an editor provides no stress relief whatsoever", followed by quiet sobbing noises.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Heh heh. Gaz is our new ed! :) Have you written your editorial yet? We've got less than a year to finish, you know... ;)

g.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Ah, so that's what the sound of a buck rapidly passing by my ear sounds like. :D

Having said that, Zzap!64 changed editors about once every five minutes, so there's no reason why we shouldn't be different for z108.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:Having said that, Zzap!64 changed editors about once every five minutes, so there's no reason why we shouldn't be different for z108.
Perhaps we should hint that I've been mysteriously sacked again? :D

I'm looking forward to doing some of the writing, though, particularly the Scorelord and maybe a Zzap!Back or two if Robin doesn't want to. And if there's a reviewer job left, I'll happily do that (not that I want to step on anyone's toes -- it'd be nice to have the z107 reviewing team back).

g.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

gordon wrote:I'm looking forward to doing some of the writing, though, particularly the Scorelord and maybe a Zzap!Back or two if Robin doesn't want to. And if there's a reviewer job left, I'll happily do that (not that I want to step on anyone's toes -- it'd be nice to have the z107 reviewing team back).

g.
To be honest, I think it would be even better if you DID do a review or two. It'll give the whole thing even more authenticity. Plus you write a good review, too! :D
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Andy Haywood
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Andy Haywood »

Ant wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:As I said before, I imagine at least some (maybe all) of the previous review team will be used - after all, it'd be nice to have some consistency, and I'm sure Ant doesn't want to have to draw another set of heads.
I think consistency is great but if a call was made to do a fresh batch of heads I could probably cope given a) enough lead time and b) some good scanned photos of the reviewers. I recall that Andy was pretty keen on getting a new head sketched up (or have you regrown your flowing locks, Andy? :) ). If time became an issue however I'd rather focus on reviewing/articles rather than redoing all the heads.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the editors. I but live to serve.
No, the flowing locks are gone for good! They were just SO 1990s .That little tuft of beard on my chin went some time ago too (god knows what I was thinking, must've eaten some dodgy cheese or something). If having my heads redone is a prob, I'm happy to let the world go on thinking I'm a bit of a goit.
ncritten
Techno Teaboy

Re: who wants to work on Zzap! #108

Post by ncritten »

gordon wrote:
a) you want to contribute something to z108 (reviews, features, tips, etc)
b) you don't want to contribute, but have good ideas for what might go in

g.
Well I'd like to contribute that LCP idea about how LCPs are coping with life in the 21st century.

Ideas I have a few but then again to few to mention, like interviews with Andrew Braybrook and Steve Turner, Tony Crowther...

Nigel
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Apparently Andrew BrayBrook doesnt like talking about his past, and IIRC there was an interview with the other members of Crafgold in Games(TM) a few issues back...
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
ncritten
Techno Teaboy

Post by ncritten »

Thats a real shame, mainly because I'd love to find out about some of his later games, alright they were for the Amiga and other consoles but I'm still interested, things like do the original graphics for Fire and Ice still exist the ones where the coyote was actually a floppy eared dog (like the pups) only saw one or two pictures of these in Commodore User and it was then changed apparently played more like Gribblys Day Out, Paradroid 1200 the enhanced version for the A1200 (8 way scrolling??), Paradroid for the PC Engine, if any of the builds for these still exist it would be great.

Anyway its a shame, I didn't actually read the article with the Graftgold team in Games(TM) was it recent or does anyone have a scan of it?

I'll just settle for writing the LCP feature then, if you lot want me to ;)

Nigel
Ockhams Razor
Ken's Fishy Friend

Zzap108

Post by Ockhams Razor »

I would love to contribute....

Ideas:
1. How about updating the top score page for the top 100 games ever.

2. A list and mini review of games that are excellent on disk and crap on cassette and why they differ (LCP & Defender of the Crown for starters...)

3. Rarest games and hardware accessories - has anyone actually ever held a currah speach add on?

4. Canvas for adds - I reckon E-Bay or the Edge might want to place a 1 page add!

5. A list of uses for a broken C64 -
a. Frame it on the wall as modern art
b. Toss it - see who can throw it the farest
c. Gut it and use it as a tool box

6. A list of the ultimate C64 upgrades
a. how to attach a flat panel monitor (surely possible?)
b. 20Mhz power up

7. A review of all the different versions - eg C64G (cartridge version)

Ant
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Just been reading this topic over at the Llamasoft forum -- ignore the bit about a new zzap! being out, and scroll down a bit to where a certain mr gravy says he wants to get involved.

I won't tell you who he is, but he's a better ex-Zzaper than I am. :)

Definitely worth pursuing, I think -- maybe Gaz can PM him?

g.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

It's Roger Bennett! :D

Buuuurrrrrrt seriously, it'd be great if you could contribute anything at all to the mag, seeing as it's going to be the last ever, and all. :) It's being edited by a guy called Gazunta, and his email address is: gazunta@gazunta.com . If you want to do reviews / a zzapback / whatever you like, just let him know.

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hey, Gary Liddon's in the house!
That'd be totally ACE. (err, I mean: Zzap!)
I go search my favourite teamug now. :wink:
Welcome & ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.