People still leeching Issues

News related to the site
Iain
Admin

People still leeching Issues

Post by Iain »

Some scum are still getting around the security systems and downloading whole issues in one go. Actually someone from IP 80.62.255.250 has crippled my broadband connection this morning by downloading issues 28 to 30!!

There will be no more scanned issues put online until I write yet another level of security.

There's always a few assholes isn't there? :(

Obviously I know most of you (and probably all the people contributing to this board) aren't doing this. So my anger is only aimed at a few people!

*UPDATE*

Did a reverse DNS lookup, the leecher is using a adsl connection from Denmark i.e. 0x503efffa.arcnxx10.adsl.tele.dk
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I already thought it was Kim Lemon! :D

No, seriously, people who do this should be obliged buying 'Mort's Zzap!64 scans' 5cd set. And never come back!
Come on guys, behave!

('well said Rob', 'you're welcome, Iain') :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Kim's from Sweden is he not?

The next layer of security will involve a database with stored ips and times etc. Big hassle but it now looks like I'm going to have to write it.

If only the leechers would at least click on some of my banner ads while they are leeching!! ;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Denmark, Sweden, Australia...
if it's Scandinavian it's all Greek to me! :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Trust some idiot to spoil things! :evil:

If they are so desperate for the scans, (as BJ said) Go and buy the CDs from Mort! :roll:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Iain: have you considered taking all scanned issues offline, and just arranging something with Mort so that you divert people to buying his CDs? It's not as though your site lacks content otherwise... Or maybe you could just, say, offer issues 1 and 107 as a scan and PDF, and point people to the CDs for the rest?

It just seems to cause you so much hassle having them online.

g.

btw, I like "Freelancer" underneath BJ's name -- very nice. :)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Another suggestion Iain..

If you did follow Gordo's advice and take the issues off-line, how about using some of the space to host emulated files of the Sizzlers and Gold Medal games from the history of ZZAP! ?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The scanned issues can be a hassle but I really like having them online, and the zzapbible can point to scans of the reviews etc.

I'll be adding lots of html reviews soon though, so that might take away some of the need for them. (ie the scans)

p.s. Freelancer isn't related to the game (although he looks like he could belong in it!) but a journo freelancer
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

iain wrote:p.s. Freelancer isn't related to the game (although he looks like he could belong in it!) but a journo freelancer
Yeah, and I'm looking forward to being one again :) ... I think you've got it exactly right, btw -- freelancer is only about two levels above techno teaboy in magazine terms ;)

g.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

iain wrote:p.s. Freelancer isn't related to the game (although he looks like he could belong in it!) but a journo freelancer
Although it's a bit off-topic, I played the demo of that game recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the repetitive dialogue, it's the best Elite-style game I've seen in a long time. I would get it, but I just got Star Wars:Galaxies yesterday and I imagine that might take up a lot of my time. That, and I'm working REALLY hard in an effort to fully launch my website on or around July 1st.... :shock: :D
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I'm really looking forward to seeing your website up and running Paul.

Back on topic, would it be worth while simply cycling through all the available scanned issues, so that only one is available at a time and moving to a new issue say each week (or three days or fortnight or whatever)?
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeah, that seems to main option now. I was planning to do some sort of rotation anyway since my little broadband server couldn't handle requests for all the issues.

There's enough room for around 10 issues permanately online (excluding my local server) so they could be swopped every week or so, bit of a hassling having to keep on deleteing and uploadiing 30Mb issues to the server though.. :(
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

btw, I like "Freelancer" underneath BJ's name -- very nice.
HEY!
You go away for the weekend, you come back, and suddenly people start throwing names at you! :wink: (this ain't no proper english I guess, but hey, who am I?)

(oops, wait my little girl Kika starts crying, back in a minute...)

Rigth, freelancer, hm? How does it pay? I heard 4p per word's quite good :wink:
Anyway, I'll continue my journey to the next level of zzaprapperhood!
Ta!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

So we have some post titles now eh? :lol:
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

biggestjim wrote:Rigth, freelancer, hm? How does it pay? I heard 4p per word's quite good :wink:
Well, in some cases, you'd be surprised - rates are often not a great deal higher than that these days...