The Board Has Been Hacked!!

News related to the site
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I'm defo in for a donation mate.

How about an AK to blow those hackers away?

Seriously, will donate a few pounds for you. Should easily raise the required from the regulars on here.

Lets just hope we all have alzheimers as I can see some familair topics / posts cropping up again. Hey - lets pretend they are new!
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Count me in for a donation as well, Iain.

Truly, some people deserve to have a business* of angry ferrets rammed down their trousers.

Ant

*business=a group of ferrets and proves that TV is educational! :)
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

As I said before (don't remember where, so I repeat again) I throw in another 20 pounds. Together with the support of the other regulars I'm pretty sure we'll get there. :)

Put on that paypal donation button, Iain! 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Very good news, that backup I did in March 2004, even although it saved it as a gzipped file. It's actually plain text! and therefore we can have (hopefully) all messages restored prior to 28th March 2004.

Assuming I get that backup installed etc. correctly, is it now worth paying the £120 to get the last 6 months of messages?? My feeling is..not really.. what do you think?
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

I'm more than happy to contribute. Man you must feel like you've been violated it's an awful thing to happen.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:Very good news, that backup I did in March 2004, even although it saved it as a gzipped file. It's actually plain text! and therefore we can have (hopefully) all messages restored prior to 28th March 2004.

Assuming I get that backup installed etc. correctly, is it now worth paying the £120 to get the last 6 months of messages?? My feeling is..not really.. what do you think?
Well we're talking 9 months here, and half of the existence of this board, and half of the 3500 posts we lost. I'd say buy the back-up!
Not to mention updating the messages by hand! :shock:
I'd really, really go for buying the most recent back-up. IMHO.

Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I've set up a donations page.

If you want all the messages back, give what you can.

Thank you!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

'Ere we go, 'ere we go!! :D
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

Hope my bit helps and you get enough the recover the messages
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I've been away for the weekend but when I came back it was very nice to see some donations have come in.

We only need another £45!!

Thanks everybody who was donated so far. Rockford and Thingy thank you! :)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Just got another £10 donation.

We only need another £35 now!!!

The quicker the better, since the longer we leave it, the more chance of the daily backups being deleted! :-[ ]

I'd like to have the order for backups in by Wednesday night so come on guys, just another few quid to save all those lovely Rrap messages :)

£10,£5,£2 whatever you can afford!!!

Thanks again to those great kind people who have donated already!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:Just got another £10 donation.

We only need another £35 now!!!

The quicker the better, since the longer we leave it, the more chance of the daily backups being deleted! :-[
Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepare those guys that we're busy getting some money together for buying their backup?
So they can start digging, and keep it apart for us, instead of accidentally deleting it because of some dumproutine?
I'd inform them about our plans, just in case... :shock:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well the money has to be there when I inform Timo to put the order through, but I guess I'll do it either way by the end of tomorrow.

I was talking to a mate who's an administrator and deals with a lot of backups and there's a specific tool for doing database backups, so hopefully they use that, and if so there should be a very good chance of getting the old board back.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I would have liked to have donated but can't for two reasons:

a) Not working and it being christmas, I am broke!
b) I don't use Paypal.

However (and I know it will technically be too late) I would like to contribute a small donation to the site in early January. Iain - If you don't mind receiving a cheque next month, then just send me a pm with your address.

As I said, I know its too late for this appeal but I would still like to show my appreciation for the site and forum.l
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Damn it, there's another hacking attempt being directed at the board again, this time from a worm. Now because the version is up to date, it's not doing anything but wasting bandwidth.

The worm is coming from lots of different IPs and shows up as lots of "guests" browsing the forums. I first discovered it on my other site theyfuckyouatthedrivethru.com when I got a 500% increase in traffic today with no obvious referrals from another site etc.

The board is safe! And I've implemented a solution to stop bandwidth being wasted.

It's so annoying these fucking idiots writing worms to do this sort of stuff, I've spent the past 90 minutes researching / fixing this on two sites when I could have been doing something actually productive for the sites...