Issue 108 - Ideas for Features for Issue 108

Everything else about Zzap
C69
Techno Teaboy

Padding about...

Post by C69 »

Right blokes,

Perhaps you have already found out that the new PS2 like gamepads are out on sale for the Commodore 64. I have asked the maker if its ok if the article would be published in zzap with his permission. Luckily we got his permission, with the help from me kissing his feets! :wink:

Would you be interested if I write an article for you and where do I post the work to?

Beck. :idea:
Andy Haywood
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Andy Haywood »

What pads? Do you have a link?
C69
Techno Teaboy

The Ultimate GamePad

Post by C69 »

http://www.8bitdesigns.com/

They plan to sell well into the year 2005, so its an good opportunity to introduce it in zzap.

Beck :D
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

gordon wrote:Again, something not in 107, so nice ideas. Would you be willing to do it? It'd be quite nice to combine both a general roundup of RPGs on the C64 with a review of Newcomer, again on a double page spread.
I'm up for taking care of the RPG side of things.
gordon wrote:Do we need any new reviewers? I'm sure some (if not all) of the old ones would be willing to write again, in which case we should keep the old heads (despite Andy's long hair :) . And I might take on some reviews if I'm not doing the editorial work ? so we've already got heads for those. I agree that from a continuity point of view we should keep what you've done.
Sounds good, though I may ... MAY ... redo Andy's as he's practically begged for a makeover. :)

I agree that it sounds like we won't need anymore new reviewers but I'm sure I can find the time to do a few new heads if the need arises.

Very happy with the list of possible articles so far. With a hardware bit included (C1, gamepads?) and some reviews this will be pretty well rounded.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

gordon wrote:So, in short:

2 pages for a Developers' Diary / tips on how to make a game
2 pages for an RPG section / Newcomer review
2 pages for a global challenge (format to be decided)
...and keep the old reviewer heads

Plus the other ideas from above:
- a feature on cartridges (1 or 2 pages)
- a Where are they Now section (1 or 2 pages)
- Competition winners (only problem I can see is that it might be difficult to find them, or get them to cooperate with a feature)
- interview(s) with former Zzapers! -- the bigger the name, the better (i.e. Roger, Jaz, Gary Penn would all do nicely).

Comments, anyone?

g.
I absolutely agree on everything.

Plus: what would you think about another reader's/player's favourite games chart? Maybe it's not a good idea, as it has been done for 107 with the covermount tape and all (although looking at the top 50 on the Burrow I'm a bit surprised by the popularity of some games, albeit excellent, comparing with other charts on the net), but after all 108 is the 20th anniversary issue, so...

What would you think?

And I would add: on the Def guide to Shoot'em ups (issue 43, November 1988) you said that you weren't going to do a Def guide to Platformers at any cost. Wouldn't be a good idea to change your mind now (admittedly, I'm afraid there are more than a couple of platform games on the c64, but then again...)
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

There's no point in doing another Def guide to C64 games, as we've already done it. Duplicating previous effort is a waste of time, especially as we'll have limited space. To a certain degree that also applies to the platform games thing, too, but I'll let the others decide regarding that!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I think reviews of reviews of review round-ups isn't a good idea! They were definitely done to death towards the end of Zzap's life.
gaelliott
Techno Teaboy

Genre

Post by gaelliott »

How about a poll of the best and worst in each games genre:
RPG, shoot-em-ups, puzzle, simulator, strategy, etc.

Also the accolade of "Lifetime Achievement Award" for services to the C64 and Zzap64: Most innovative programmer, Publisher most likely to take a risk, most influential musician, best produced packaging and manual etc.

And how about a poll to find the best ever issue of Zzap64.
George Elliott
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Genre

Post by CraigGrannell »

gaelliott wrote:How about a poll of the best and worst in each games genre: RPG, shoot-em-ups, puzzle, simulator, strategy, etc.
That's the point we're making above. Zzap!64 already did all this stuff, and as we did the final, ultimate Def guide to the best C64 games, there's little point in exploring each genre.
Also the accolade of "Lifetime Achievement Award" for services to the C64 and Zzap64: Most innovative programmer, Publisher most likely to take a risk, most influential musician, best produced packaging and manual etc.
That's a better idea, although it would be better as a feature rather than a list of top-tens.
And how about a poll to find the best ever issue of Zzap64.
We did a history of Zzap!64 in z107, which more-or-less covered such things.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

And Iain, as I seem to have my sub-editing hat on right now, Kens Fishy Friend needs an apostrophe (Ken's Fishy Friend).
MaffRignall
Techno Teaboy

Post by MaffRignall »

Another couple of pages could be filled by the next installment of Zzap!back.

Someone also suggested a musician's ball type roundtable discussion with a bunch of ex C64 personalities, which I think is a top idea. Just get them all in the one room and record it on tape, or do it over IRC.

Another thing we could do is a 'how far people have pushed the C64 article', where we could reference things like C64 web browsers (and servers), and stuff like Contiki:

http://www.dunkels.com/adam/contiki/
http://www.armory.com/~spectre/cwi/hl/
http://tfe.c64.org/

Plus regular bits like the contents, editorial, high scores, playing tips, reviews, etc.... it won't be hard filling 32-50 pages... at least at the planning stage :).
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I know, but ' 's can sometimes do weird things to mysql database if a \ isn't put in front of them, I really should have had more fate in phpBB though.

I'll be mad and take a risk in changing it!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Seems to be working ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Well, it's about time I made my long overdue post in this thread...
Perhaps you have already found out that the new PS2 like gamepads are out on sale for the Commodore 64.
Neat. How about something about how to turn your C64 into an arcade system? (I recently did this with a PC, turned out well)
So, in short:

2 pages for a Developers' Diary / tips on how to make a game
Can we make room for a sub section about the best utils for first time game makers? SEUCK, GAC...(hmm, maybe that should be a separate section entirely)
2 pages for an RPG section / Newcomer review
I really think it's a shame we left Newcomer out of 107, so that's a definite. Gold Medal contender already!
C64GS cartridges or circa 83/84? Or both? :)
- Competition winners (only problem I can see is that it might be difficult to find them, or get them to cooperate with a feature)
For the love of 6510, someone find who one the Head and Heels plush things...

Everything else I love. Of course.

I'd like to see (or do) a feature on just why the C64 had such an impact on everyone. Why on Earth did it sell so many units? Why were there so many games for it? What were its strengths? How has it managed to last this long?

How about a feature on the evolution of C64 games? (Last Ninja and IK+ coming to PS2, etc...)

Gah, I spend a week more or less offline and the magazine has practically put itself together!
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Gazunta wrote:
C64GS cartridges or circa 83/84? Or both? :)

I can incorporate both quite easily... as they are two disperate tales to tell. I recall Lloyd saying back in 1987 in one letter page that the technology required to put Defender of the Crown onto cartridge (because someone wrote in complaining as a tape user they couldn't have it) would cost the same as a disc drive. Obviously 2-3 years later it was well within the buying power to make happen! I'd need 2 pages, I'd like more but that just depends on what's available ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!