Currently Reading

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
LeeT
Director

Currently Reading

Post by LeeT »

I thought I would start this thread so that members can say which old magazines they are currently re-reading...

I'll kick off with CRASH - Just pulled a bundle out of the cupboard (nearly injuring myself in the landslide!). Just read Issue 50 - Not a very special edition for a half-century anniversary. No one-off features, though there is a 'tech-Nice' supplement! It was Barnaby Page's last issue as Editor and our very own Gordon contributes several reviews. It was about this time that a lot of Newsfield staff were moving across to different mags. For example, Steve Jarratt became Editor in issue 51, whilst Kati became a Staff Writer (and Samara the adventure columnist started too - what a coincedence!).

A lot of the reviews at this time were eye-catching, though there was a lot of terrible games around too! There's quite a few 'The C64 version is better' style comments (Zolyx and Tetris for example).

Anyway its over to you guys...
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

:)
I'm re-reading just about everything now!
Thanx to Mort's scans I'm up to my neck in C+VG, CU (concentrating on 1985 -1988 stuff) and TGM.
Ripping all my Games TM's apart (Retro sections and Cube stuff) at the moment, after that I'll bin them.
Super Play gets a read every now and then on the toilet.
I'm making bundles, mags to scan in, mags to bin, mags to prepare for eBay, mags to keep 'forever'. Argh, and Retro Gamer doesn't fit in my binder anymore...
I've been through lots of Look and Learn recently... 8) :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Currently got several issues of Commodore Format sitting here, to type up some articles for a new website I'm working on...
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Now I am up to Issue 60 - In the meantime, Steve Jarratt departed after four months ("Goodbye and Thanks for all the cash"), and Dominic Handy has taken over as Editor (or should I say Paul Sumner!). The mag got a new look which makes it look like to has been coloured by a four year old.

Phil King is now on the staff, whilst Simon N Goodwin (long term Tech person) has departed, with Ian Cull replacing him. The usual CRASH challenge was replaced with the inter-mag challenge for the Xmas special.

So CRASH is on the slow-ish road to mediocrity....
fogartylee
Techno Teaboy

Post by fogartylee »

LeeT - you seem to be quite knowledgable about the mags content!

Would you like to expand on the magazines section on my site by doing a 'this issue in one page' type of review?

Stuff like the staff leaving/starting, maybe a quick list of games reviewed & their scores (as a table maybe?), special features, etc.. Stuff like that?
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Yes that would be okay LeeF....

Pm the details to me when you can!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Any old Commodore mag within reach to find out about C128 games...

...and Commodore Format to help Mort with his current scanning project
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Any old Commodore mag within reach to find out about C128 games...
Ooh, that smells of a Retro Gamer project. 8)
Err, Kickstart II is the only title I can come up with...

The list of C64 that didn't work on my C128 (even in 64 mode) is much longer, though... :evil:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I remember quite a few decent 128k only games on my 128d.

Rocky Horror 128k, with enhanced graphics and extra scenes (is on gamebase as I asked especially for it!
Bureacracy 128k only adventure which used the 80 column mode well
Ferrari formula 1 (ran quicker)
Chuch Yaegear (ran quicker)

Thats it for tonight, I know there are more but my brain hurts after working on the Cf and Czone dvd inlays this evening :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
The list of C64 that didn't work on my C128 (even in 64 mode) is much longer, though... :evil:
Really? I don't remember many except the Carrier Command cartridge and one scene demo.

Must have been your dodgy Dutch C128!!! :-D (too many "fumes" around it perhaps? ;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:
Really? I don't remember many except the Carrier Command cartridge and one scene demo.

Must have been your dodgy Dutch C128!!! :-D (too many "fumes" around it perhaps? ;-)
Dodgy!? :twisted: Grrr!
So why is everything Dutch dodgy, hm? :wink: (The football is, actually 8) )

Well, for example, Wizball didn't work in C64 mode, as didn't Commodore's International Basketball, two top games which I never was able to play back in the Eighties. Until I got my 'real''C64 at the end of the 90's, that is. There's more....lemme think
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Mort wrote:I remember quite a few decent 128k only games on my 128d.

Rocky Horror 128k, with enhanced graphics and extra scenes (is on gamebase as I asked especially for it!
Bureacracy 128k only adventure which used the 80 column mode well
Ferrari formula 1 (ran quicker)
Chuch Yaegear (ran quicker)

Thats it for tonight, I know there are more but my brain hurts after working on the Cf and Czone dvd inlays this evening :wink:
Cheers, I didn't know about Ferrari Formula 1 and Chuck Yaeger!

Infocom did more 80 column versions, including Trinity, A Mind Forever Voyaging and Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Bureacracy 128k only adventure which used the 80 column mode well..
80 columns on a Speccy!? Wow! :shock: :wink:
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
Er, no. It was Infocom Plus, meaning it was only on machines with 128K of memory and 80 column display. The Spectrum 128 didn't have 80 columns. And Mort said "128D", which is the "desktop" version of the Commodore 128...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:
Er, no. It was Infocom Plus, meaning it was only on machines with 128K of memory and 80 column display. The Spectrum 128 didn't have 80 columns. And Mort said "128D", which is the "desktop" version of the Commodore 128...
:oops: Of course, I got confused because of Mort mentioning '128k', I thought it was some Speccy upgrade or something. :D
I should read a bit better...and err try to think at the same time. :wink: