Issue 108 - But what are we actually going to review?

Everything else about Zzap
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I'm gonna work on that aspect... it should be reviewed if it's out, and I know the guys @ Commodore Scene, so if I don't own the required hardware, I could quite likely be able to borrow it.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gear
Techno Teaboy

108 ideas ?

Post by gear »

Hi

Just a thought but has anyone ever actually rounded up all the hardware that was available for the C64 ? ie light gun, pencil, tape decks, disk drives etc or perhaps how about doing a bio of Jack Tramiel (without whom our world would be spaccy).

gear
Shaun.Bebbington
Techno Teaboy

Post by Shaun.Bebbington »

Sorry that I have come to this thread a little late! Here are some of the games that could be reviewed since ZZap 107 (in no particular order):

Cyber Wing,
Grid Zone,
Reaxion,
Balloonacy
(All Cronosoft)

Crazy News (German Language game only though!),
Hockey Mania,
Metal Dust,
Team Patrol
(All Protovision)

Metal Warrior IV
(Covert BitOps)

Bomb
(Chris West)

Dux
(I forget who now!)

Turrican III
(Smash Designs)

There are others I'm sure, but my memory is a little hazy.

You could also preview:

CS-Doom 64, Wizards of Wor, Tanks 3000, Jim Slim, Ultimate NewComer, Pac It and Space Battle. Again, there are probably a few more previews - the question is were to look to find them!

Regards,

Shaun.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Most of those were in the flat-plan, which is as far as z108 ever got. At the present time, Gordo, Gaz, Ant and myself aren't pushing ahead with this, for various reasons (time, enthusiasm, copyright implications affecting a large-scale print-run, support from ex-staff waning and then totally vanishing*).

For those that are interested, the flat-plan for 108 is below, showing how z108 may have been, if we lived in a universe where there were 36 hours in a day, and 12 of them could be devoted to Zzap! for a bit.

* Apart from Rob H and Paul G, of course.

Code: Select all

Cover

2               3
Ad              Contents/Editorial/Masthead

4               5
News            News

6               7
Newcomer        Newcomer

8               9
Newcomer        BOFH

10              11
It's Magic 2    Tran

12              13
Turrican 3      Turrican 3

14              15
Bomb mania      Solar Jetman

16              17
Rrap            Rrap

18              19
Where are they now?

20              21
Where are       Demo scene
they now?

22              23
Zzap!back       Zzap!back

24              25
Mort's TBITM    Mort's TBITM
Incl C1 interview/overview 

26              27
GTW             GTW

28              29
GTW             Carts

30              31
Tips            Tips

32              33
Challenge       Challenge

34              35
Scorelord       Archon (PB)		

36              37
Metal Dust      Hockey mania/Cascade

38              39
Enforcer        Metal Warrior 4

40              41				
Ikkuichi        And the beat goes on

42              43
White wiz       White wiz

44              45
Online          Previews

46              47
Outro           Ad

Ad
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:Most of those were in the flat-plan, which is as far as z108 ever got. At the present time, Gordo, Gaz, Ant and myself aren't pushing ahead with this, for various reasons (time, enthusiasm, copyright implications affecting a large-scale print-run, support from ex-staff waning and then totally vanishing*).

For those that are interested, the flat-plan for 108 is below, showing how z108 may have been, if we lived in a universe where there were 36 hours in a day, and 12 of them could be devoted to Zzap! for a bit.

Argh! :shock:
if we lived in a universe where there were 36 hours in a day, and 12 of them could be devoted to Zzap! for a bit.
Mmm, I think I've found a parallel universe or something... 8)
Even I seemed to have *lost* them at the moment. :shock: :(
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Sanitarium
Techno Teaboy

Post by Sanitarium »

The plan for issue #108 looks swell indeed. Hopefully it still can be done someday.. *Fingers crossed*
HEND
Techno Teaboy

Post by HEND »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ......
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

HEND wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ......
Yeah, cry, cry, cry that's what I do too, all the time! :D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

Hate to jump in on yet another thread (blame Mort for that, he let me know about all of this, and cheers for that mate!) but...

If you're going to do a new Zzap!, you can't go filling it with game reviews.

Get the old lads involved, the ones who made the mag what it is to you, the Penns, Liddons, Rignalls, yes even the Brennans and the Houghtons!

A proper retrospective, not just full of demo games that half a dozen people play.

If you can get those lads to do a piece each on their time, warts and all, maybe a review a piece (even a little box like the good old days), you've got something good.

A few of the big hitters. then the rest will be itching to be involved.

Hey, I could even put a tips section together! Got loads of family photies nobody's seen!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

107 was, in part, a retrospective: it included an overview of the first 107 issues, and we got Gordon, Rob (Hogg) and Paul involved. (Steve also kindly offered, but, for some reason, no-one actually got back to him, sadly.)

For 108, the idea was to get more ex-Newsfield staff involved, mostly in the various columns, because most of them simply don't have time to do a great deal of work for this kind of thing. We didn't want to go totally nostalgic, because z108 wasn't supposed to be Retro Gamer or Retro in games™, but a new issue of the mag itself. At one point, about ten ex-Newsfield staff were up for doing something, but, in the end, interest waned, hence putting the whole thing on hold.

As for the reviews, I think it's a little unfair to refer to the C64 homebrew scene as "demo games that half a dozen people play". Some of the newer C64 games that we were going to review are really very good.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Randy wrote:Hate to jump in on yet another thread (blame Mort for that, he let me know about all of this, and cheers for that mate!) but...

If you're going to do a new Zzap!, you can't go filling it with game reviews.

Get the old lads involved, the ones who made the mag what it is to you, the Penns, Liddons, Rignalls, yes even the Brennans and the Houghtons!

A proper retrospective, not just full of demo games that half a dozen people play.

If you can get those lads to do a piece each on their time, warts and all, maybe a review a piece (even a little box like the good old days), you've got something good.

A few of the big hitters. then the rest will be itching to be involved.

Hey, I could even put a tips section together! Got loads of family photies nobody's seen!
<sarcasm>
Haha! This is *such* a good idea! Why didn't we think of that before?
And everybody was like SO interested! :twisted:
</sarcasm>

Sorry Randy, you missed out some recent(ish) developments.
Ever read Zzap!64 issue 107 for example?

Ta!
Rob

edit: sorry, I already was logged in to this thread before Craig posted.
Randy
Freelancer

Post by Randy »

No.

Bear in mind, I'm very new to this.

I thought I was going to be an accountant for the rest of me life!

Wouldn't mind, but I failed maths at school...

sniff
jcompton
Techno Teaboy

Post by jcompton »

CraigGrannell wrote:For those that are interested, the flat-plan for 108 is below
No inclusion of the Mammoth gamestick? (AKA the abysmally-named "DTV.") Admittedly, it wasn't out when the plan was put together, but I'd think it would be a must. The people who put it together would be game for interviews as well, I'm quite sure, and I know where to find them.
Waiting patiently (vainly) for the Def Guide to CU Amiga...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Ah yes, but z108 has been put on hold indefinitely.... :( but there's something else for zzap fans possibly in the works :)

Nice to see an the (an?) ex editor of Amiga Report browsing my forum! :)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

As Iain says, the DTV wasn't around when the flat-plan was created, but the "techie bit in the middle" was to have an interview with Jeri about the C-One. Of course, that's rather academic now, what with 108 being on hold.