GBA recommendations

Everything else not related to emulation
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

GBA recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell »

My better half got me a GBA for my birthday today - any recommendations for games?! :) (Not RPG or fighting stuff, tho'.)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

ZELDA!!!
(oh dear, I know, you said no RPG stuff :roll: )

Seriously, even if you totally dislike anything RPG, Zelda is different, highly playable, mind boggling addictive & superbly presented.
(at least it was on the SNES)
Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed :wink:
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
gordon
Director

Re: GBA recommendations

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:My better half got me a GBA for my birthday today - any recommendations for games?! :) (Not RPG or fighting stuff, tho'.)
Hi Craig

I'd go along with ZELDA, but you'll know yourself whether or not that kind of thing appeals.

METROID FUSION is a very good action adventure.

SUPER MARIO ADVANCE and YOSHI'S ISLAND are both superb games in the arcade adventure mould -- the second is cuter and more stylish than the first, but the first is a classic.

MARIO KART ADVANCE and F-ZERO are both great race games, based on their SNES counterparts.

The POKEMON games are actually quite good too, despite the hype.

CHU CHU ROCKET (if you can find it) and KURU KURU KURURIN are both decent puzzle games, if a little odd. Best to check them out on a GBA emulator first.

In fact, that applies to all the games mentioned here: if you can try them on an emu like VisualBoyAdvance, do so. Oh, and if you haven't got a Gamecube, you could always buy one :) -- the GBA and Cube link up together very well.

g

-- btw, apart from Iain, we have the top 3 posters in this message... I want to see what Rob's going to get when he reaches 100.
-- and btw btw, did you get a GBA SP or the standard GBA? If it's the second, what colour is it?
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

LeeT is on 43 also ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mayhem wrote:LeeT is on 43 also ;)
Oh.... BUGGER! :)

g
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hihi, I'd rather be a 'freelancer' then 'Lloyd's lapdog', anytime.
I hope my next 'promotion' will be a major improvement, I'd go for 'Scorelord'.:D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Mayhem wrote:LeeT is on 43 also ;)
'Was' on 43!! :lol:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I got a GBA SP - the silver flip-top one! :)

Thanks for the games advice. F-zero and Mario Kart are two I'll definitely be getting, and maybe Yoshi also. I think I'll pass on Zelda, as I really don't have time to play that sort of game these days: I'm after 'pick up and play', at least by and large.

I was also looking at Speedball II, Boulder Dash EX, Moto Racer and Super Monkey Ball Jr. Anyone played those last four?
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:I got a GBA SP - the silver flip-top one! :)
//switches to Life of Brian mode

Oooh, you lucky, lucky baaastard!
CraigGrannell wrote:I was also looking at Speedball II, Boulder Dash EX, Moto Racer and Super Monkey Ball Jr. Anyone played those last four?
I've seen Speedball 2, and it looks pretty good, though obviously not as good as the Amiga version (for which, incidentally, and in a rather obnoxious case of blowing-my-own-trumpetitis, I wrote the manual) -- because a) it can't do the sound as well, and b) the screen's smaller, with bigger sprites. Apart from that it seemed to have all the features, AFIR. There's an interesting review here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/ ... e)id=78925

Super Monkey Ball Junior is a cousin to the Gamecube version (which I own, and which kept me entertained for... well, only about ten hours, really). If it has a multiplayer mode, *and you've got friends*, it's well worth a look; but if it's single player only I'd avoid it, because it's not as good as it looks. Quite maddeningly frustrating in parts, too. There's an interesting a fair-sounding review here: http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/Game ... allJnr.htm (which suggests that there are 3 multiplayer games after all).

Other two I don't know anything about -- sorry.

g.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

CraigGrannell wrote:I got a GBA SP - the silver flip-top one! :)
Welcome to the club. :)

My wife, who is quite possibly the best wife in the multiverse, bought me one as a (very) early birthday present.

Super Mario Advance 2 is a lot of fun and I just picked up Advance Wars which I'm really looking forward to.

Oh, yeah ... and um, Zelda. :)

However I can definitely recommend NOT getting the Midway Greatest Arcade Hits compilation. Welcome to Terrible Arcade Conversion Town. Population: Me. :oops:
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
smila
Freelancer

Post by smila »

wario ware - crazest game on the gba and super addictive.

super puzzle fighter 2 - cos i was the artist on it and i want more royalties . :lol:
got created the sid chip so hubbard could make music
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Ant wrote:However I can definitely recommend NOT getting the Midway Greatest Arcade Hits compilation. Welcome to Terrible Arcade Conversion Town. Population: Me. :oops:
And the Sega Arcade games pack... even worse arcade conversion town...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, F-Zero and Boulder Dash are winging their way to me now. Shame about the Sega stuff - having a GBA version of OutRun would have been cool, but apparently it wasn't to be! :/
Videogame Guru
Techno Teaboy

Post by Videogame Guru »

I can't recommend Wario Ware enough ;) It's a must for all you GBA owners out there ;)

George ;)
Coming to a monitor near you soon - www.c64coder.com

Playing videogames since 1982. Serving the videogames industry since 1986.

LDA#$0E
LDX#$06
LDY#$00
STA$D020
STX$D021
STY$D015
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

One of yours? Looks fun, if not essential. I'll check it out at a later date! :)