Coming soon! The DEF tribute to Zzap! July 2005

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Coming soon! The DEF tribute to Zzap! July 2005

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Heads up! Here's the news! (patience, image coming up!)

Taken from http://home.versatel.nl/zzapback/deftri ... online.gif
deftribute_anouncement_online.gif
deftribute_anouncement_online.gif (54.41 KiB) Viewed 38337 times
After one year of brainstorming and six months of (part-time) work it's almost finished:
THE DEF GUIDE TO ZZAP!64, celebrating the mag, the people creating it and its huge popularity since May 1985.

Yup, that's exactly 20 years! (next munf)
After the enormous succes of Zzap!64 issue 107 (thousands of downloads, 202 printed copies, mentioned in Edge, Games TM, Retro Gamer and on the coverdisc of an Australian computer mag), created by Cameron Davis, Gordon Houghton, Craig Grannell and a team of Zzap enthusiasts, there were plans for #108, but these were postponed, and at the moment the project is declared 'braindead'.

But how could we possibly let this opportunity pass,
and NOT pay tribute to the best computergames magazine ever: ZZAP!64??

For that reason, we're going to salute the excellent mag that Zzap!64 was and is, and the excellent people behind the mag and the company. A team of Zzap enthusiasts (all from the Rrap board) worked hard to celebrate its 20 year anniversary with a special magazine:
THE DEF TRIBUTE TO ZZAP!64

Download here the pdf that will give you a glimpse of what you can expect from this Zzap!64 Special.

Soon, somewhere in May, the Real Thing will be published as a downloadable pdf for all fans and nostalgia seekers on-line and a-live.

For all those who want to be part of it, here's the challenge:

The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 will contain a Rrap (letters) section, just like in the old days. We'll have room for about 20 letters.
We'll award ONE 'Star Letter Of The Munf' with a full colour printed copy of the DEF tribute!
So climb in your pen(n) and get writing, drawing and/or meditating!
Anything Zzap/Newsfield/Commodore/Games/Retro related goes!
A retrospect, an anecdote, complaints, congratulations etc. whatever!
Very welcome are contributions to the C64/Speccy and Zzap/CU battle! 8)

Send all your stuff, with your name/nickname/place where you hang out to: zzapback@gmail.com.

CLOSING DATE IS APRIL 17 (Sunday)

edit: closed now

All the best,

mr.zzapback
news about the DEF tribute:http://www.zzapback.com

To Iain, could you please, please give this topic a topicheader of it's own between the Zzap!64 main topics? The Issue 108 topic can stay (AFAIC) but maybe you could add 'CANCELLED' to it? If Craig agrees. (I'm sure)
Ta!

STREETDATE: July 2005 keep watching the skies! 8)
Last edited by Iain on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Putting image on server
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Personally, I'd be tempted to change the strap of the 108 forum to something other than "Will it happen, will it not? Ideas etc."—perhaps "Currently on hold". At the moment, it looks like it's been locked for no real reason. I'd also create an entirely new thread at the top of the forum, explaining why the forum has been locked.

Rob—one minor thing about your cover: maybe it would be better priced as per z107 at £0?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote: Rob—one minor thing about your cover: maybe it would be better priced as per z107 at £0?
Mmm, I'll think about that.
You know, it looks so 1986! :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Nice to see " Returnof The Shadow " on the front page. Always one my my fave ( and underrated ) sections of Zzap.......only The Shadow knows.....

They always used to make my day when they had pictures of very fit ladies in the computing world. EVERYBODY remember Claire Hirsh and I remember a pic of David Crane's wife in a very tight Addictive t-shirt. Nice
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Fiery Phoenix wrote: They always used to make my day when they had pictures of very fit ladies in the computing world. EVERYBODY remember Claire Hirsh and I remember a pic of David Crane's wife in a very tight Addictive t-shirt. Nice
It's funny looking at those photos now, they just look like girls trying to look and act all adult like by wearing business dress and makeup! :-)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I've just been chatting to Rob about The Def Tribute and I can tell you there's going to be some amazing and very interesting stuff in it... That's all I'm saying about it.

Come on Rob, start working 24hrs a day on it to get it out! ;-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

iain wrote:
Come on Rob, start working 24hrs a day on it to get it out! ;-)
but, but.....my wife and kids! :wink:
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Well I'm sure they'd understand ;)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Thanks to Ant for lighting the Gazsignal and alerting me to this most awesome event :)

Wow, sounds COOL!!! Way to go everyone involved, especially Rob, I should have known you wouldn't let such an important occasion go uncelebrated! I can't wait to read it! I'm so happy there is something new and Zzapy to look forward to :)

(Wonders if it'll be ready before I go on a long plane trip in mid-May...it would make excellent cross-ocean reading) :)

Ah to heck with it, I'm gonna go try and write a star letter!!!

EXCELLENT stuff guys, you all rock :) So proud!!!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Gazunta wrote:
EXCELLENT stuff guys, you all rock :) So proud!!!
Hey thanx.

Wow, people, stuff keeps coming at the moment, argh and we're wa-haay past the deadline, but it is TOO good to let it pass, and from people I never thought to be able to contact them, so I'm amazed!

We got another totally excellent EXCLUSIVE as well, two in fact!
Have to bite my tongue not to spoil it all. 8)

Anderson, Kean, Penn and Jarratt are in, and and....I won't tell.

Still no sign of Jaz (Roger is trying) and Gravy (Liddon) I wonder why though? :?

It's going to be great! :D
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I just got another sneak preview of a part article/interview from Rob and it's all VERY good!

This is going to be The Read of the decade I think! x-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Deadlines are officially closed now!
A terrific editorial of Roger Kean just came in this morning.
If all goes well, two more weeks of tweaking and (hopefully) proofreading (brace yourself Craig -if possible :wink: ) and it's OUT THERE!
The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64, 64 pages crammed with awesome stuff you'd wish (like you always did) that Zzap!64 was a monthly again. :D

I'm having a total Zzap!overload, (my wife as well, btw) but this one must be finished! :twisted:

Ta! 8)
Rob
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Excellent!! The countdown begins! I have a feeling this is going to be one good read!! :)
smila
Freelancer

Post by smila »

sounds like its gunna be a corka
got created the sid chip so hubbard could make music
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeap and I think Mr. Zzapback better go on holiday for a couple of weeks after it!

Then we'll give him the job of doing Zzap issue 108! :-D