Hello, I'm new(ish)

Everything else not related to emulation
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Maybe that should have also been the case with some of those early scores, too. Sanxion: a Sizzler? Pfft.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:Maybe that should have also been the case with some of those early scores, too. Sanxion: a Sizzler? Pfft.
Now that would be interesting if Paul Sumner really was on that review! :)

Goes checking....
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Gary Liddon used the Paul Sumner guise when he already worked for Thalamus, to 'avoid' tangling of interests.

Really.
I think it's that part that sits the least well with me, I always held Zzap! up to being totally independently subjective and that's been dented by knowing that there was a psuedo/schizo reviewer on board. I'll not lose any sleep over it mind, but it was a shock to discover this, when was it commonly known?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Only fairly recently, apparently. Also, in the old days, Gary and Julian would sometimes write a second opinion as Paul. Still, despite its problems (including Thalamus forcing up some scores, and the team sometimes getting seduced by wily PR schemes—see Bangkok Knights), it was a largely independent mag.
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

Yeah, agreed, it still was the best source for reviews by a long stretch. Cheeky basts even had a challenge with 'Paul'.. :lol: