Jeff Minter

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Jeff Minter

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Whoa! Ex-Zzap!64 semi-celeb Jeff Minter did the Xbox360 interactive visualiser, the first application of this new engine! :shock:

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=36596&highlight=

and

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/music ... usicplayer

He's got an excellent brand new site as well, btw.

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk

Not bad for him, after all these years of struggling! :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Knowing Jeff's track record for choosing consoles to develop for, this means the Xbox 360 will vanish without a trace after about a week!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:Knowing Jeff's track record for choosing consoles to develop for, this means the Xbox 360 will vanish without a trace after about a week!
Nah, Craig! That's a tad harsh, isn't it? :shock: :)
I think it's an excellent break, and some well deserved recognition.
And a nice platform too.

I'll stick with my cube though, whatever happens. :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

LOL, although both Xbox 360 & PS3 are looking spectacular at this moment from what I've seen, I'm thinking the PS3 is looking the tastier of the two. I can't wait to see what Nintendo's got up its sleeve, the stakes have been raised substantially.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Frankly, none of the next-gen consoles excite me in the slightest. It's all more of the same, but with very slightly better graphics (and graphics that still aren't significantly better than those on the Dreamcast).
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

I disagree about the graphics myself, although agree regarding gameplay. I find myself to be more interested in Scramble than Metroid Prime actually, I don't think the time required to invest in those games is really worthwhile anymore and prefer the instant compulsiveness of older games now. Still, I find the whole thing very interesting.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

CraigGrannell wrote:Knowing Jeff's track record for choosing consoles to develop for, this means the Xbox 360 will vanish without a trace after about a week!
:-D Unfortunately I have to almost agree with you, he has an uncanny ability to develop for consoles that disappear soon after or even before their release. Atari Jag.. Nuon... etc.

I don't think the Xbox 360 will be disappearing anytime soon though, with Microsoft's very deep pockets. They have a world domination plan for the console / settop market and they'll stick to it.
Iain
Admin

Re: Jeff Minter

Post by Iain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote: Not bad for him, after all these years of struggling! :)
Well fair fucks to him alright, he deserves it after all his effort. It's going to be on the console firmware, which is very impressive and as he says himself, it'll reach a massive audience, way bigger than ever before.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Iain wrote:I don't think the Xbox 360 will be disappearing anytime soon though, with Microsoft's very deep pockets. They have a world domination plan for the console / settop market and they'll stick to it.
I think you're probably right in this case—I was, as you may have guessed, just being facetious really! That said, I do wonder how well the (shockingly ugly) Xbox 360 will actually do. It's coming out very early, which may hamper all non-exclusive developments (which will also have to work on at least the PS2), so it may end up suffering the same fate as the Dreamcast. Then again, I still don't see why anyone would get excited about any of the next-gen consoles anyway. There's almost literally nothing new. The only console that's really of any interest to me of late is the DS, simply because Nintendo is trying something new.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

New consoles only ever excite me when they sell for £99 or less, and I can pick up the games on eBay for a tenner. I'm having loads of fun with my PS2 right now. :)
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

gordon wrote:New consoles only ever excite me when they sell for £99 or less, and I can pick up the games on eBay for a tenner. I'm having loads of fun with my PS2 right now. :)
I'm assuming you already got Ico then? :)
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Fizza wrote:I'm assuming you already got Ico then? :)
:) Yep. And the first time I played it, it was as amazing as everyone said it would be. After that it was just a great game - the kind of game that haunts you for months afterward.

That, Katamari Damacy, and a couple of Japanese shoot 'em ups make me really glad I got a PS2.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

gordon wrote:
Fizza wrote:I'm assuming you already got Ico then? :)
:) Yep. And the first time I played it, it was as amazing as everyone said it would be. After that it was just a great game - the kind of game that haunts you for months afterward.

That, Katamari Damacy, and a couple of Japanese shoot 'em ups make me really glad I got a PS2.
Don't forget Gradius V. Or is that a Japanese shoot 'em up? I suppose it is. :)

I'm enjoying God of War at the moment. There's nothing new, it's just nice to have a game based on Greek mythology that's done really well. The last one must have been, what, Powerplay? :D
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

PaulEMoz wrote:I'm enjoying God of War at the moment. There's nothing new, it's just nice to have a game based on Greek mythology that's done really well. The last one must have been, what, Powerplay? :D
:D That used to be one of my favourite games... Im really looking forward to God of War, it sounds like my kind of thing, though as usual I'm waiting for it to sink below £10.

And I did forget Gradius V. :roll: I blame the kids... Any kids, not just mine.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

gordon wrote:Im really looking forward to God of War, it sounds like my kind of thing, though as usual I'm waiting for it to sink below £10.
That's my trick too. Just as well there are games rental companies, or I wouldn't get to play anything at the minute.

I'm writing a review of God of War (well, making notes for a possible review anyway). Lots of gruesome fun, although without wanting to give any spoilers, I think the first level should actually have been put somewhere else, further into the game.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.