Games not Reviewed in ZZAP!

Did you agree with them etc.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Games 1, 3 and 4 were pre-Zzap!64 and never got rereleased on budget either to my knowledge. Indeed issue #1 had the solution to Staff of Karnath in the tips sections.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

A lot of companies didn't send their games to ZZAP to be reviewed. Maybe CRL didn't send Space Doubt? The only review I saw of it was in Your Commodore, looked good but the review made it sound a bit bland...
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I was always amazed that CRL survived for as long as they did - The majority of their games were terrible (the only exception I can think of is Tau Ceti and Rocky Horror was OK).
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

C&VG did the diary of a game for Space Doubt (hmm.. I wonder where they got that from??) and it looked good, I think I even bought it IIRC, but took it back. Seemed pointless from what I can remember.
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

LeeT wrote:I was always amazed that CRL survived for as long as they did - The majority of their games were terrible (the only exception I can think of is Tau Ceti and Rocky Horror was OK).
Cyborg was a CRL game wasn't it? That had serious potential, I played it on an emulator and it didn't seem to have much point.. I think there's a pattern developing here regarding CRL.... Although I agree Rock Horror Show wasn't bad, on the spectrum at least.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

At least CRL did re-release International Soccer on tape and disk (instead of the plain old Commodore cart) at that moment still the best game of footie around on the C64.
Until Matchday II of course.... 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Remember that CRL did release all those classic adventure games, such as Frankenstein, Dracula, etc - I think these may have been the first games with a film style classification on them due to the graphic scenes in them ( thinking of Jack the Ripper here ) can't remember the programmer behind them, I think it was Rod Pike - he was pretty cool.

CRL also did the game of that magazine Oink! Not great, but not terrible.

For me though, I will always remember the adventure games.
One thing though - what did CRL stand for?
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Fiery Phoenix wrote:
For me though, I will always remember the adventure games.
One thing though - what did CRL stand for?
Crap Review Lobby?

/gets coat
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Consistantly Releases Lard?

/leaves with Mr. Zzapback
Fizza
Techno Teaboy

Post by Fizza »

Consistantly Returned Lemons??

(forgive me using consistantly again..)
farhan
Techno Teaboy

A game not reviewed...

Post by farhan »

My first post in the revamped message board... One game that always comes to my mind that was not reviewed is Street Sports Basketball, the other in the trilogy, S.S. Baseball and S.S. Soccer having been reviewed in issues 29 and 43 respectively. I am pretty sure it would have sizzled... my own rating for it on ZZAP-scale... is 90%; very enjoyable in two-player mode.
There're few things as nostalgic as ZZAP!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Re: A game not reviewed...

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

farhan wrote:My first post in the revamped message board... One game that always comes to my mind that was not reviewed is Street Sports Basketball, the other in the trilogy, S.S. Baseball and S.S. Soccer having been reviewed in issues 29 and 43 respectively. I am pretty sure it would have sizzled... my own rating for it on ZZAP-scale... is 90%; very enjoyable in two-player mode.
Wah!? Indeed!
One of my favourite games btw, back in the days. :D
PGTips
Techno Teaboy

CRL =

Post by PGTips »

Computer Rentals Limited, if I remember correctly. Strange name but I guess that's how they started out back in, what, 1983 or something.

I wonder what Clement Chambers is doing now... Online air combat games, last time I saw him.

CRL had some good games to its name but it all seemed to go a bit wrong somewhere. Gordon, what was the name of that game that you reviewed, with the intergalactic vacuum cleaner?

Paul.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

farhan wrote:My first post in the revamped message board... One game that always comes to my mind that was not reviewed is Street Sports Basketball, the other in the trilogy, S.S. Baseball and S.S. Soccer having been reviewed in issues 29 and 43 respectively. I am pretty sure it would have sizzled... my own rating for it on ZZAP-scale... is 90%; very enjoyable in two-player mode.
Trilogy? There was also Street Sports Football (as in American Football) released as well, at least in the US.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mayhem wrote:
Trilogy? There was also Street Sports Football (as in American Football) released as well, at least in the US.
Yeah indeed, shame your copy didn't work! 8) :wink: