The Def Guide to Zzap!64

The Zzap Rrap

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:05 pm 
Techno Teaboy

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
Retro Gamer costs 6 pounds, so I guess it's not *very* expensive for such a limited edition print run.

It sure isn't I'd say its pretty well up with teh cost of living, arise from 1 pound... to 10 in 20 years is pretty good value.

Sign me up for a copy. I want the first one in Australia

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:07 pm 
Techno Teaboy

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
elminster wrote:
I noticed that Mr.Zzapback and Iain both have 715 posts, is this just an amazing coincidence or some little quiet competiton you have going on the side to try and out mail each other.

Shhhh! 8)

<grin> unil Iain Logs on :lol: Heheh the website probably alerts him whenever you post to a forum :twisted:

Leading again, yessss! :twisted:
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:10 pm 
King of Zzap Towers

In my opinion, finding material isn't a huge problem—after all, Retro Gamer manages to fill its pages every month. A few rolling features on new and nostalgic things and Zzap! would be sorted. The problem in a regular Zzap! is the amount of work involved. I think Rob's suddenly discovering now what this is like—something I myself was very aware of when designing z107. A magazine of this size would usually have a permanent designer on board (at least half-time), along with one sub and one editor. z107 took two or three solid weeks of my time (unpaid, of course), and although plenty of people have a love for the magazine, I can't see many people willing to put in that much time and effort on a regular basis. I know I'm not particularly excited about ever doing another Zzap!, and I'll be very surprised if Rob does another (despite doing a sterling job on the current one).

As for payment, I imagine even if the figure was low that few people would bother, especially if it was a digital-only file.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:20 pm 
Techno Teaboy

CraigGrannell wrote:

As for payment, I imagine even if the figure was low that few people would bother, especially if it was a digital-only file.

Yes, I see your point, even if you did it electronically, you would still have to spend a lot of time in the field getting articles, and interviews as well! Still nothing lasts forever, and I suppose thats what makes it special now. The fact after an 8 year silence that it still exists in the form of this website is probably all it really needs to preserve it.

Still no mag has kept me as interested since, but then that could simply be adulthood. I hardly buy any computer mags at all anymore. but I will certainly support anything that is produced by you guys the Zzap! Banner. I love that logo. It is truly unique!! I'm sure looking forward to PCG to!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:36 pm 
King of Ludlow

CraigGrannell wrote:
I can't see many people willing to put in that much time and effort on a regular basis. I know I'm not particularly excited about ever doing another Zzap!, and I'll be very surprised if Rob does another....

Indeed, pfft. :roll:
What a horror, I hope people will like it, and that it gets some positive attention, but for the rest....cost me half a year of pretty much all my spare time at the mo'. :?
Looking very much forward finishing it! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:56 pm 
Admin

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
I'm gonna sell the printed (64 pages) DEF tribute as well for a tenner, on and off-line.

Really? Are you getting it professional done like 107 or what?

How many copies are you planning to print off? I would recommend no more than 150, since the first 150 107's sold really quick, the selling the last 50 was like blood from a stone etc.

BTW, it appears I caught your flu Mr. Zzapback! I too am almost hallusanating (p.s. of course I know how to spell this word but I can't see the keyboard correctly with my hallusanations!! x-) )

BTW2 If your message post count gets above mine again, you'll be banned for 2 weeks! :-p

Anyway, back to looking at the pretty pretty colours flashing around the room.....

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:18 pm 
King of Ludlow

Iain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:
I'm gonna sell the printed (64 pages) DEF tribute as well for a tenner, on and off-line.

Really? Are you getting it professional done like 107 or what?

How many copies are you planning to print off? I would recommend no more than 150, since the first 150 107's sold really quick, the selling the last 50 was like blood from a stone etc.

Yes. 99% sure. I'll print 100 copies, maybe 101. No more. :wink:
That's including the team's free copies, the celebs copies, and the copies I'll send to RG, Edge and Games tm. I'll try and be at the CGEUK, so I can get rid of most of 'm (somewhere in August, London) The rest I'll sell thru my or your(?) site, and/or eBay.

I'd better finish it now! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:29 pm 
Admin

100 copies should sell in no time at all on the site, so I'll gladly help you out with that. Make sure you keep a few spare for yourself to sell them on eBay in a couple of years time for £100 or something silly x-)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 am 
Techno Teaboy

Iain wrote:
BTW2 If your message post count gets above mine again, you'll be banned for 2 weeks! :-p

Teehee :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:19 pm 
Ken's Fishy Friend

elminster wrote:
Sign me up for a copy. I want the first one in Australia

Second, you mean...

:)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:20 pm 
Sub Editor

Gazunta wrote:
Second, you mean...

:)
A-hem ...
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:11 am 
King of Ludlow

Hehe, Zzap! wars down under! :)
Sorry Gazunta, I didn't make it!

Just a little patience people, you *might* be surprised of ths final outcome! 8)
This is going to be MASSIVE! :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:03 am 
Director

I'm getting VERY excited! :D

Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:22 pm 
Editor

We want test PDFs to proof read ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:03 pm 
King of Ludlow

Mayhem wrote:
We want test PDFs to proof read ;)

Hehe, unfortunately for you all, I have an *excellent* assistant Editor. 8)
I promise I have DEF news coming week! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next