Gordon's bit in Way of the Rudent nr.64

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Gordon's bit in Way of the Rudent nr.64

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

that one's mine btw, way of the rudent, would be a nice domain for a spoof, hehe 8)

Just as my 'The Future is Retro' got nicked by CGEUK, I'm using that one for years now, probably should have registered it, duh! :evil:

Anyway, here's the article.
It certainly is, erm well, different... :wink:

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/features/ ... 20zzap.htm

Comments!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Excellent! :)
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

Wow the guy who stored piss in bottles! Almost forgotten about that. Was his name Peter? Philip? I'm sure Marky used to call him Peter Piss. Did he have some "connection" to Richard Eddy? I remember he had terrible acne but then again handling bottles of piss probably doesn't do your skin any favours.

The bully editor was that the person who's dad used to sell fruit and veg on the corner of King Str? I remember him stitching me up with something that I supposedly hadn't yet written. That was one of my favourite nights at newsfield - a drunken oli frey screaming at me "you little fucker". Admitedly I was a lazy bugger in those days who would prefer to hang out of the window watching the college girls than write a review of some piss poor game that was a clone of some other piss poor game that I had reviewed before. But by some miracle, in lieu of having anything better to do, I had already written the article and handed it over for editing.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It's a bit of a strange article alright with lots of lightly supressed angry etc. All a bit confusing really....

In the comments for the article there's a msg by "NOname"
Come to think of it, I'm not sure the guy I'm thinking of *was* the editor... Confused He might have been one of the underboys, though he always acted like he was in charge. In any case, he became editor later, through the use of his evil powers.

It's all so vague... so vague... apart from those bottles of piss in the wardrobe.
I assume No Name is Gordon....?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:It's a bit of a strange article alright with lots of lightly supressed angry etc. All a bit confusing really....

In the comments for the article there's a msg by "NOname"
Come to think of it, I'm not sure the guy I'm thinking of *was* the editor... Confused He might have been one of the underboys, though he always acted like he was in charge. In any case, he became editor later, through the use of his evil powers.

It's all so vague... so vague... apart from those bottles of piss in the wardrobe.
I assume No Name is Gordon....?
Yes indeed.

Btw, in that Retro Gamer interview he also mentioned that particular guy, but IIRC he says there that it was NOT the editor, but someone from the Crash staff.

edit: and I think he slightly is taking the p*ss in that WotR article. 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Mangram's Tippex Thinner »

Well if it was bloke-whose-parents-owned-fruit-and-veg-store, I got on with him okay. Having read Gordon's Retro Gamer interview, was puzzled who he meant....
Last edited by Mangram's Tippex Thinner on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote: edit: and I think he slightly is taking the p*ss in that WotR article. 8)
I do hope so, otherwise I'd be thinking that he doesn't love us anymore :(

Gordo! Tell us it isn't so! x-)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote: edit: and I think he slightly is taking the p*ss in that WotR article. 8)

hehe :)

GROUPHUG! :wink:
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Mangram's Tippex Thinner wrote:Well it was bloke-whose-parents-owned-fruit-and-veg-store, I got on with him okay. Having read Gordon's Retro Gamer interview, was puzzled who he meant....
I'd like to guess but I'm not going to give any Handy Hints! :wink:
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

Realised I missed the "if" that should've followed the "Well" so have edited post... :oops:
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

LeeT wrote:I'd like to guess but I'm not going to give any Handy Hints! :wink:
Perhaps he was having a bad sumner (groan!).
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

*tumbleweed*
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Heh, that was a great read.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Iain wrote:
Mr.Zzapback wrote:I think he slightly is taking the p*ss in that WotR article. 8)

:D Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek. They wanted something a little different for the WOTR article: they tend to put a sideways slant on most things, so the kind of piece I usually do (i.e. Zzap! was the best job I had) wouldn't have fitted there. All the stuff that happened in the background seemed like a good alternative.

It's all true, too, apart from the opening line, which is a bit of a headline-grabber, really. :) I don't mind people asking me about Zzap! in emails, but like I say early on in that piece, I do wonder why they bother writing to me; I was pretty low down the editorial pecking order.

And I'm glad somebody else remembers the bottles of piss, too. :)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I think you've had quite a few questions for a couple of reasons:

a) You're friendly

b) You're accessible compared to the likes of Messrs Anderson, Penn and Rignall.