GamesTM?

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

GamesTM?

Post by alexhighnumber »

What do people here think about GamesTM mag - and obviusly I mean in particular the Retro section? I think the magazines growing on me.
gordon
Director

Re: GamesTM?

Post by gordon »

alexhighnumber wrote:What do people here think about GamesTM mag - and obviusly I mean in particular the Retro section? I think the magazines growing on me.
I think Edge is a better mag, but the Retro section in GamesTM draws me to it now and then. It's a really neat idea and the only serious one around at the moment, but it's not particularly exploited to the full, and I can't help thinking that if Edge did one they could do it so much better...

g.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I really like the Retro section in GAMES - Its obviously produced by people who care about the subject. The only niggle I have is that the last few issues its going a bit too much SNES/MegaDrive - Maybe they have thought that they should be aiming to that 'demographic' (!) or something?!
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

There's an Oz version of GamesTM (which is basically the UK version with some localised bits) and I've recently added it to my monthly magazine buying list as I rather like it.

Still, Edge is far ahead of any competition.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Post by alexhighnumber »

Yes, EDGE is in many ways the better magazine and I'm a subscriber, at the moment GamesTM is still an occasional off the shelf buy. The thing is though I find that EDGE often doesn't have that pick up and read quality that GamesTM has, I guess because of being more bitty?

A few months ago, I think on the old Edge forum someone described GamesTM as good toilet reading and I was inclined to agree! I suppose it's cheap enough to subscribe to so maybe I should.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

alexhighnumber wrote:someone described GamesTM as good toilet reading and I was inclined to agree!
A nice description -- it's the way I used to feel about C&VG and Commodore User, as opposed to Zzap!, which I always had to read sitting down in a comfy chair in the living room. I always felt slightly soiled reading C&VG, a bit like getting dirty with a Pot Noodle.

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi!
I bought the first issue, and I liked it a lot.(I talk retro section now, the rest of the mag is totally replacable) I flicked thru other issues but I wasn't sure if it was worth it (We pay twice the price over 'ere!)
But I missed the 'c64' issue (aargh)! Is it worth getting it as a backorder? (if still available?)

Btw, I got the two Edge Retro Specials through Ebay UK. What a EXCELLENT read!! (and worth the dosh, 20 BPS :roll: )

Ciao!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

I was disappointed that I decided to 'hold off' on picking up the Edge Retro specials. Now I can't find them anywhere. Sometimes I can be a right drongo! :)
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Some people bought multiple copies of the EDGE Retro specials, then immediately started selling them on eBay for ridiculous amounts - Thats probably the only way you will get one now!
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yup, Indeed!
As I said, I got them both on Ebay UK for about 20 pounds,
which is a reasonably 'fair' price, since I saw issue 1 going for that amount alone! :roll:
But Ant, it's really good reading material, so I'd bother to get my hands on them, if I were you.
(if only for the 8 pages of interviews with Jaz, Gaz, Liddon & Jarrat!)
Ta!
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I've got a copy of both spare at the mo, interested Ant? :D
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I'd be interested in the second Edge retro special, if someone has a spare.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I'd be interested in someone scanning them and sticking them online and telling me what the URL is :)

g.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Well, actually, I scanned the whole Zzap!64 interview in (8 pages 'n all)
I could ask Iain to put them up, or should we ask permission from Edge first? :roll:
You know what, I'll upload those scans (72 dpi, so only readable on your monitor, or maybe 96 dpi, so you could print them, depending on size) to my own sitespace.
I hope I can do it tonight, I'll let you folks know it a.s.a.p.
I eventually could email them to *very* desperate people...(Gordon? :wink: )
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

biggestjim wrote:I eventually could email them to *very* desperate people...(Gordon? :wink: )
well, let me know if you upload them first; if not, then yes, email would be nice. :)

g.