Superplay just finished !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Wil wrote:Nah, dinkybox is just a part time thing I started with my better half last year. I work at Rare now.

I still speak to old magazine mates, though. I'll never get Stevie J to admit his Newsfield days were better than now!

Wil
Yeah, I've 'spoken' to Steve recently, he's indeed a 'Now is better' type of guy. Not that he doesn't look back though, he helped out nicely with a personal piece for The DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 (coming soon).

Btw, my fave games still include Zelda III, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, thinking about those games links me instantly to the SuperPlay cover art, which was and is ace. :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Hi Wil, good to see you here :)

I actually did some stuff for Superplay early in its life, but I think only one bit (a guide for Ranma 1/2) actually had my name attached. C'est la vie. I didn't complain about the money I got for it, rather helped at university :P

And deffo the artwork is a classic style that enhanced the mag.

Don't suppose you got any spare binders? All four of mine are starting to fall apart after all this time :P
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Wil
Techno Teaboy

Post by Wil »

Mayhem wrote:Hi Wil, good to see you here :)

I actually did some stuff for Superplay early in its life, but I think only one bit (a guide for Ranma 1/2) actually had my name attached. C'est la vie. I didn't complain about the money I got for it, rather helped at university :P

And deffo the artwork is a classic style that enhanced the mag.

Don't suppose you got any spare binders? All four of mine are starting to fall apart after all this time :P
Sorry, I never had any binders precisely because they split so easily!

Thanks for all the kind words. It would be nice to see a games mag nowadays that had the kind of enthusiasm that Zzap!, Splay etc. had in their day. I still think a print mag has something to offer, if done well, that you can't get on the net.

Although we never managed to do an Xmas special as great as the Zzap and Crash ones!

Wil
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Hi Wil,
Great artwork, very Japsentric and very kool ...

Thanks for the offer, anything missing is always of interest, I will also see if the superplay site can host any of the scans :wink:

What was the issue 0, Superplay or Chromalins :)
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Wil
Techno Teaboy

Post by Wil »

Mort wrote:Hi Wil,
Great artwork, very Japsentric and very kool ...

Thanks for the offer, anything missing is always of interest, I will also see if the superplay site can host any of the scans :wink:

What was the issue 0, Superplay or Chromalins :)
Sorry, chromalins are high quality proofs that are taken directly from the flim set that's used to generate the printing plates. They're pretty expensive so you only tend to do ones for the cover and very colour critical pages. I was freelance when the mag started and only found these later on. They're not very exciting but might be nice from a historical point of view.

I'll dig them out this weekend.

Wil
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hehe, this is what I dug out last night, a picture I composed years ago of Wil's Secret Of Mana cover artwork for SuperPlay and a screengrab. The font isn't very appropriate though..oh well. 8)

Last edited by Lloyd Mangram on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

That image seems to be giving a 404 error! :(
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:That image seems to be giving a 404 error! :(
??
Weird, I can see it.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I can see it fine as well.
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

I can't see it, but I want to. :(
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hey! Now it's gone!? :shock:

/off to check his ftp thingie

Oh, it's there, everything seems fine.
I've uploaded it again, checked the linky in the post, refreshed (x100)
but it's still not there!?

What can it be?
My site is still there, so... (that's where the picture is stored as well)

Puzzled! :?

Now I renamed the image, and renamed it in the linky as well (of course) still nothing there!
Is it a bandwidth issue? Does the board block the link, does my webspace block the link? Argh!

I even copied the image to my other webspace (also @ versatel) and linked to it, still doesn't work. I think there's some scripting going on here?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I can see it. I wonder whether the problem is you uploading it as a .png, which some browsers freak out with. Try a bog-standard .jpeg instead, maybe?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote:I can see it. I wonder whether the problem is you uploading it as a .png, which some browsers freak out with. Try a bog-standard .jpeg instead, maybe?

No, no. It WAS a jpg, but it didn't appear, then I changed it to png to see if there was something wrong with the file itself or whatever, and it still didn't work. For some reason, I can see it again, I'll change it back to jpg now, it's a smaller file. Duh!? :?

This is all very unimportant btw, it just puzzled me why the image stopped appearing while it was there all the time...nyaagh.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mort, when you've finalised this lot, you should advertise it over at the rllmuk and NTSC-UK boards (maybe even get them to make it a sticky topic): there are plenty of Super Play fans over there.

You probably knew that anyway, but just in case, y'know... ;)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well I can see the image fine now, it shouldn't be a problem with the configs on this board so img links are allowed. Your site doesn't block external image linked though does it? (ie hot linking)

Anyway, works now :)