Here comes another one...

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Isn't the head from the adverts for Total magazine?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

People don't know these things? :wink:

I got it out of an old Total mag (somewhere around 1992)
I only changed his T-shirt. :D

Oh, here, I found it:

left: Andy 'Thicky' Dyer and right: Steve 'Misery Guts' Jarratt. 8)

Oi, and it's a preview of the DEF Tribute btw, because the pic is in it! :D (sorry Steve :wink: )
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Darth Mole wrote:And working with Andy Dyer
Who's now writing for one of the mags I regularly contribute to: MacFormat (he writes the games section).
BTW: to my knowledge Jaz Rignall has never written RedEye. Certainly up till very recently (and including my last stint on Edge), it's always been another journalist - who shall, of course, remain nameless.
It's actually not that difficult to know who (most of) the RedEye columns were by, seeing as *** ****** now has a (pretty good) website that's reprinting a lot of his Edge stuff and also commenting on it! It's a real shame he left, though, because RedEye was probably the best thing in Edge.

Anyway: welcome, Steve!
Mangram's Tippex Thinner
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Mangram's Tippex Thinner »

Has to be said (so I'll say it!), the early issues of Total were cool as fuck.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

CraigGrannell wrote: (Andy Dyer)'s now writing for one of the mags I regularly contribute to: MacFormat (he writes the games section).
(T.O.T*)
Ooh, the Mac games section, that'd be taking lots of space I guess. :wink:

*Terribly Off Topic
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

You'd be surprised: while the Mac's games scene is hardly comparable to any other platform, there are still plenty of games around. Dyer's section in MF is four pages, which might not sound like a lot, but you have to bear in mind that most Mac games mags are aimed squarely at home users who are more interested in using iLife than playing games and professionals who spend most of their time in Photoshop.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Seconded. Many major releases come out for the Mac, and most of them are very credible conversions of their PC counterparts. The material Andy crams into his four pages could easily be spread over six or even eight, though he deserves a fragging for giving Doom 3 five out of five.
Roger Frames
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Roger Frames »

Thanks for letting me work in CF Steve..

Seriously though, the Jarrat/Dyer/Masterson + contributions from Houghton/Hamza Commodore Format was brill. Great stuff, all those people visiting here..
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I liked Steve's 'Total' too.
I easily could have picked a less flattering cartoon from him to use for Zzap! hehe.

And then there was EDGE...
brian_dead
Freelancer

Post by brian_dead »

i used to read total and i forgot all about it until i read this thread :shock:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yeah well, it was a nice little mag, but Super Play was just a *little* better. :wink: Still a good mag though, TOTAL.
Unfortunately I thrashed all my copies, except for the SNES launch one. (issue 5?)
duddyroar
Techno Teaboy

Post by duddyroar »

I have to admit, back in the day I always saw Total! as a bit of a child's magazine when compared to MM. It seemed to get involved in needless Sega-bashing, which I assume the nippers loved, but it struck me as a bit petty.

However I was able to gain a few Total issues from a car boot sale in the late 90's and it altered my perception of the magazine a little.

Production-wise, it left EMAP's magazines for dead, with a cool glossy cover and some very impressive design (the little Andy and Steve characters were a cool touch, too). The tone was still a little too young for my liking, but it was a brilliant magazine. The funniest thing was that Steve went from Total to EDGE, possibly the most mature mag on the face of the planet!

Anyway, glad to hear you're alive and well Steve. :)
Kick Monkey Ass at the Mean Machines Archive! - http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk